• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    It sounds to me like the debate is more about single-action vs. double action than about hammer vs, striker. Some striker fired pistols have a long double action trigger pull and some hammer fired pistols are single action only with a very light trigger pull. Just my :twocents:

My take on a carry pistol is it must be easy to carry, have enough power to stop the threat, and be ready to go. I think trying to rack the slide in a time of emergency, is asking for trouble, when the adrenilin is flowing you could get your finger on the bang switch while racking in a round. Same with operating the various safety's, and trigger disconects. Another problem is time, you will not draw until the last minute, and when you do you will need it to go bang every time. The revolver guys have it right when they say six for sure, so I consider my Kahr CW 40 a flatter easy to carry revolver. So far it has went bang for about 500 very expensive times, It has no safety, and will only fire if the trigger is pulled.
    Bill...

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    For some reason in my mind I believe it is safer to carry one in the chamber with a Hammer Fired as opposed to a Striker Fired pistol. I understand that the best safety is keeping your finger off the trigger but I am thinking the longer and heavier trigger of a Hammer Fired pistol might be less prone to an accidental discharge when carried.

I welcome anyone thoughts.

That's OK mbaza3, you and everyone else here that prefers to carry with the chamber empty needs to make sure that your family provides details of your death/critical injury to the media.

So that when they are interviewed on your preconceived thought that you are Flash Gordon and think you can outdraw and rack your slide and still get off a round before you are slice/diced or full of holes they may see yours and other failed logic..

While you and others with your mindset think this is the optimum way to carry, people can and will learn from your fatal mistake.

If you think I'm kidding, you need to attend a training course and see why this is not a good way to carry.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Kydex and good leather are the key. For EDC I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have one for a commander length 1911 and one for a Walther PPS.
    Whatever you carry, make sure the trigger is completely covered and ensure you can re-holster your weapon without coming in contact with the trigger (i.e. shirt tail or britches in the way). I have a cheap suede IWB clip holster for a Kel-Tec PF9 that is not sturdy enough to holster the pistol with the holster in the waist band. I suppose if I shoot a groove in my right cheek I'll deserve it. I rarely carry that gun so I've never upgraded the holster.
    Any defense gun should be in one of two conditions:
    A: Unloaded and locked in a safe or equivalent security device.
    B: Loaded, chambered, cocked, and if applicable, locked.
    A defense gun should be able to be operated one handed, and preferably with either hand. Its one thing to drop a bag of groceries to rack your slide; the groceries won't mind the sudden stop at the bottom, your six-month old will. Another thing to keep in mind is the manual of arms differs greatly when you add the various layers of hammer cocked, hammer down, striker fired DA, etc. The INGOers in your house know how to put any of those into action. The non-gun-nuts need to know how to put that piece into action as easily as possible. In my house, if there's a magazine in the well, theres a round in the chamber. Flick safety (if applicable) and squeeze. If there's no mag in the well its locked up or on a mat being cleaned.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I'll have to dig, but wasn't there a post on here this last summer about a Glock, worn-out leather holster, and a ND? The guy went to re-holster, had the grip safety depressed, and the floppy leather holster got inside the trigger guard.

I see that more as a "keep your gear in good shape" argument, rather than a striker vs. hammer argument.
    I've never seen a Glock with a grip safety.....

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    Kydex and good leather are the key. For EDC I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have one for a commander length 1911 and one for a Walther PPS.
    Whatever you carry, make sure the trigger is completely covered and ensure you can re-holster your weapon without coming in contact with the trigger (i.e. shirt tail or britches in the way). I have a cheap suede IWB clip holster for a Kel-Tec PF9 that is not sturdy enough to holster the pistol with the holster in the waist band. I suppose if I shoot a groove in my right cheek I'll deserve it. I rarely carry that gun so I've never upgraded the holster.
    Any defense gun should be in one of two conditions:
    A: Unloaded and locked in a safe or equivalent security device.
    B: Loaded, chambered, cocked, and if applicable, locked.
    A defense gun should be able to be operated one handed, and preferably with either hand. Its one thing to drop a bag of groceries to rack your slide; the groceries won't mind the sudden stop at the bottom, your six-month old will. Another thing to keep in mind is the manual of arms differs greatly when you add the various layers of hammer cocked, hammer down, striker fired DA, etc. The INGOers in your house know how to put any of those into action. The non-gun-nuts need to know how to put that piece into action as easily as possible. In my house, if there's a magazine in the well, theres a round in the chamber. Flick safety (if applicable) and squeeze. If there's no mag in the well its locked up or on a mat being cleaned.

Well said!
    Bill...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My opinion is that unless your an on duty cop theres no point in carrying with one in the camber I prefer an empty chamber with the safety off.

You realize within 21 feet someone can rush and stab you before you can draw and shoot. So how is carrying condition three doing any good for PD?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Personally, I prefer a hammer fired pistol over a striker fired pistol. To me, a hammer feels more consistent. I carried a 92FS in the Military, and I'm used to carrying with the hammer down. I can place all my DA shots center mass no problem. I also carry a PF9 is DAO. I owned a Xd for a while and it was a good gun, but, I like my FNP more so. I do also own an M&P but it's strictly a target pistol for me.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It took me a while to get used to the idea of carrying 'hot' but I finally had to come to the realization that I had to take the training wheels off and carry the gun the way it was intended and that is loaded and one in the chamber. There are millions of possible scenarios that can occur where you may only have one hand or arm available. You have to pick a weapon that you are confident in carrying hot and carry that.

One day out for a walk in the neighborhood I was charged by a sizable dog from my weak side. I had no idea the dog lived there and I often walk with my 4 year old son. It occurred to me that if I had an 80 pound dog chewing on my support arm or if I were to try and scoop up my son and get him out of the way I'd never have a chance to draw, rack and shoot. I've carried hot for several years and I shoot competition where I have a loaded weapon and I practice with it from the draw to the holster.

It is a weird feeling to start carrying with one in the chamber, in fact it felt just like it did the first time I started carrying in the first place.

My choice is striker-fired with one in the pipe.

Gutpile Charlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indian Territory, USA
    I regularly carry a S&W M60 or M36 snubby in my pocket, 24/7, everywhere I am. I won't go into details, but my wife and I live under a "real" threat. Concealed carry is not a "good idea"....it is a necessity. A guy is currently serving two, consecutive sentences for a total of sixty years for conspiring for murder in the first degree. That's as serious as a heart attack.

As to striker vs hammer, that's a no brainer.

A double action revolver, an to just a lesser extent, a DAO semi auto is about as safe as a "brick at rest." The only way the firearm is going to discharge is if you put your finger around the trigger and pull it.

The striker fire, such as the Glock, etc are just an accident waiting to happen in my opinion. That little bang switch on the Glock and similar firearms doesn't give you much protection against an AD.

Also, single action autos with a safety are not safe at all, in my opinion. I would never carry a 1911 cocked and locked. Yes, many have.....and got away with it....but is it worth the chance?

Just my humble opinion.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just a note, Taurus's PT-709 & 740 slims are SA/DA striker fired semi automatics, both also have a external frame safety and a intimation Glock safe action trigger.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Round in the chamber. Need a good holster, in excellent condition. As previously stated, you may only have one hand available to use the gun, with the other hand 'busy' doing other necessary tasks. Not a good time to practice chambering a round by hooking your rear sight on your gun belt. How do cops carry? Round in the chamber.
    That being said, I would NEVER carry a cheap striker fired gun, like a Jennings, Davis, Jimenez, etc. with a round in the chamber. But then again, I do not carry a cheap striker fired pistol.

Top Bottom