• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Another pro for carrying one chambered is that say you are in a situation where you only have one free hand, then it becomes considerably more difficult to rack a round in to the chamber.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Between the grip safety and the manual safety, if you have a NEGLIGENT discharge with a 1911, it's because you were negligent.

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    Striker fired! OC or CC. If you are packing heat, it's for a reason. When that reason comes up out of nowhere, you may not have time to be fumbling with switches. Training, practice and mindset will be all you have to fall back on, and the simpler it is to defend your life, the better chances you have of living through that moment. :twocents::ingo:

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm in the one in the pipe or leave it home camp. I've carried glock's , 1911's, 3rd gen smith's and a taurus pt145 and they all leave home with one chambered. At least we have a choice.. Dan

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    I'm going to say that it's okay to have an empty chamber with the srtiker fired pistol. We do have the choice and avoiding bad situations is one good one. Situational awareness may tell you to chamber one. If you don't have time because an assailant has the drop on you, chances are drawing a chambered pistol wouldn't work anyhow. Being alert is key, and your brain is your very best tool of personal defense.

Revolvers on the other hand are not nearly as prone to an accidental (NEGLIGENT) discharge. I usually have a revolver handy but sometimes a pistol, and usually unchambered.

As fas as it being only as useful as a brick,....I don't buy that at all. Besides I aint throwing my pistol at anyone and I would much prefer a loaded, albeit unchambered, pistol available to me than a brick.

I hope you good folks respect an occasional "different" opinion. Thanks:)

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

BAD IDEA, if there is no round in the chamber you are just carrying a club

This video tells the reason why to keep a round chambered. Carry your firearm in a good holster that covers the trigger and keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to shoot. Whether you carry something striker fired, double action only, double action/single action or cocked and locked, train and practice until it's second nature to you.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I carry my Kahr 40 with one in the chamber. I have a good Don Hume holster that covers the trigger, and it is striker fired double action every shot. I like that because every trigger pull is the same. So I guess I prefer striker fired over hammer. I also own a hammer fired pistol with a dcocker and carry it less but when I do there is one in the chamber hammer down.
    Bill...

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    It sounds to me like the debate is more about single-action vs. double action than about hammer vs, striker. Some striker fired pistols have a long double action trigger pull and some hammer fired pistols are single action only with a very light trigger pull. Just my :twocents:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Personal choice...it depends on how you train! We have small children (ages 7, 4, and 3) in the house...so all of our revolvers are locked up tight and we only have 'quick access' to our semi-autos...a Glock 19 and 23. We do NOT keep a round in the chamber at any time on either gun...but know that and train that way!

I will live with the risk that I have 0.5 seconds to 'rack the slide' on my G-23 (or my wife's G-19) rather than take the risk that one of our children might happen to get their hands on one of the pistols and pull the trigger. The kids can't 'rack the slide' on them...so, for now, we're not too worried about it (although there will come a day when that changes!)

We don't keep a round in the chamber of my wife's Remington 870 Tactical 20 ga. either. Everyone talks about 'racking the slide' on a shotgun to scare an intruder away...that's bullcrap...I do it to load it and make it ready to fire.

It's all about what your needs are!

Top Bottom