• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Does anyone know of any good sites to check out CC for women? With all this random violence these days, even with the reinvigorated effort of our PDs, I'm glad that I did apply for the LTCH, but with my penchant for snug clothing, I don't see how I could ever conceal effectively. I've seen the purses that have the built-in holsters, which is an awesome idea, but my purse is even smaller than my pockets most days...

Suggestions?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Does anyone know of any good sites to check out CC for women? With all this random violence these days, even with the reinvigorated effort of our PDs, I'm glad that I did apply for the LTCH, but with my penchant for snug clothing, I don't see how I could ever conceal effectively. I've seen the purses that have the built-in holsters, which is an awesome idea, but my purse is even smaller than my pockets most days...

Suggestions?

Boy are you in luck!

Cornered Cat

Large section of the site is dedicated to the particular issues that women have with concealed carry.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars

Haha... beautiful article sweetheart. I really like this woman. :)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Another lesson to learn, men, do not assume that your significant other will like the gun you like, that a Glock is the best pistol for beginners (I hate them), or that women prefer a revolver. These are all sentiments that I encountered, and none of them proved true for me, except that my husband and I both like our Sig P225.
    [/FONT]

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    From Shooting While Pregnant:
    f.. Failing to thoroughly wash hands and mouth after shooting (or washing with hot water instead of cool)
    - Wash hands carefully (3 times) with cold water
    Really? I always wash with hot water since I'm generally always cold and enjoy the warmth over my frozen fingers (I'm blaming poor circulation). Is the temperature of the water really that important when cleaning up after handling/cleaning/shooting firearms?

Due to some health concerns, I don't think pregnancy is in our future, but it was still a very interesting read. Thank you very much. :)

------

Women & Guns...
    EXCELLENT. *wanders off to troll a different forum*
    AND... Women & Guns :: View topic - In Search of a Purple Gear Bag
    More Excellent. :D
    I'm going to have to get my DH to get me a subscription to that magazine. :)

------

Women, Firearms & Self-Defense:
    Excellent resource for continuing links. A little disconcerted that the NRA's Women's Issues link seemed to be broken. :( I'll have to dig around for that one. :) This site was copyright 1998 according to the bottom of the page, so perhaps it's been a while since the links were updated. :)

Thank you all for the suggestions... It'll give me some reading to do while off work tomorrow. :) :) :)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Women & Guns is one of the best firearms periodicals on the market, regardless of your sex. I have a subscription.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    So after doing some reading...

Option 1: off-body carry. (ew). Not crazy about this idea because a) I have a tendency to walk away from my purse. 2) When I'm out running around, I usually just grab my DL and Visa and stuff them in my pocket, purse be damned. and iii) I tend to walk away from my purse. (I know, smart move. Which is why I grab Important Cards and stuff them in my pocket and leave the purse at home.)

Option BB: Belly band or Smartcarry (aka Thunderbelt). Erm.. I'm not sure I have room in most of my clothing to fit something like that under there. One review I read said that she's at an age and shape where most people wouldn't recognize an extra bulge in the midsection.... I am not at that age or shape.

Option 3: thigh-holster... Interesting concept, and if I actually wore more skirts, I might look into this. It would definitely make Lars smile if I wore more skirts. But seriously.. how easily accessible would something like that be? And do people actually practice drawing and firing from those at the range? *boggles at the concept*

Option IV) Ankle holster. Everything I've read about this says wear more socks. I work at Tommy Bahama. I wear sandals. I abhor socks. Not to mention skirts, shorts, and most of my pants don't quite make it to my ankles.

Why can't they make something like this for women?
    Ultimate Compression Concealment Shorts - Magills.com

I suppose that's about like wearing a belly band... so far that's looking to be the most attractive option considering my current wardrobe status.

The other distressing issue I'm coming across on Womens & Guns (Women & Guns :: View topic - Concealment for Professionals) is that Kahrs and Kel-Tecs are frequently recommended due to their size, slimness, and weight, but also reading that they are difficult to shoot and are certainly not on the approved "Guns that Work" list. Lars did say I'd be spoiled with my Sigs. :(

I value the opinions of most of you guys on here. Do any of you have women in your lives that CC? What do they do? The girl I work with that used to CC carried in her purse... I really don't think that's the best option for me. I'm just about back to the decision that my guns are for target shooting and home defense, and just let Lars carry.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm still trying to figure out the best way to CC my Browning.

2nhm686.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pami:

John Farnam and his wife Vicki come to Indiana (near Rochester) every spring. Among the classes they do every year is a women's only pistol class. I strongly recommend that you and other women avail yourself of this opportunity. Vicki is a fantastic instructor who can share much insight into the questions you have pertaining to carry as well as impart all of the shooting and tactics knowledge available during the class.

Here is the information. If you can't make it, cancel your other plans. If you can't afford it, sell something. You will be glad you did:

2008 Rochester, IN, DTI Schedule and information.

May 9-11, Womens Basic Handgun. Course Instructor: Vicki Farnam
    Start time is 6:30pm EST, Friday, May 9th
    Cost: $505

May 9-11, Basic/Intermediate Handgun. Course Instructor: John Farnam
    Start time is 6:30pm EST, Friday, May 9th

May 12, Defensive revolver. Course Instructor: John Farnam
    Start time is 8:30am EST, Monday, May 12th
    Cost: $295

May 14, Teaching Women to Shoot. Course Instructor: Vicki Farnam
    Start time is 8:30am EST, Wednesday, May 14th

May 16, Defensive Urban Shotgun. Course Instructor: John Farnam
    Start time is 8:30am EST, Friday, May 16th

May 16-18, Womens Basic Handgun. Course Instructor: Vicki Farnam
    Start time is 6:30pm EST, Friday, May 16th

May 17-18, Urban Rifle. Course Instructor: John Farnam
    Start time is 8:30am EST, Saturday, May 17th

A $250 deposit for each class is required to hold your spot/s.
    Deposits should be in check or money order form, made
    out to "DTI", and sent to:

DTI/ILL
    P.O. Box 385
    Crete, Illinois 60417

Please include your contact information (name, address, email, phone)
    and which courses you plan on attending.

All courses to be held at:

Sand Burr Gun Ranch
    2111E 350N
    Rochester, Indiana 46975

574-223-3316

GPS
    41deg, 06min, 20.76sec N
    86deg, 12min, 13.25sec W

If you need ammunition, contact Ashley at Sand Burr and she
    will ordered it and have it waiting at the range for you.

Recommended hotels:

Super8
    209E McDonalds Rd
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-224-8080

Comfort Inn
    289 McDonalds Rd
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-223-7300

Ask for the DTI Group Rate.

Course ammunition requirements:

Women's basic: 400-rounds
    Basic/intermediate: 800-rounds
    Revolver: 500-rounds
    Instructors course: 200-rounds
    Shotgun course: 300-00buckshot, 50-slugs, 200-pistol
    Rifle course: 700-rifle, 200-pistol

All pistols must have proper holster. CompTac, Hoffner's, etc., are a great place to
    start. DTI does NOT recommend nylon holsters.

Magazine/speedloader belt carrier is recommended.

At least 3-magazines requred for handguns. The more, the better.

At least 3-speed loaders for revolvers. The more, the better.

All pistols and revolvers must be .380 caliber and larger.

Rifles should be a standrad military-type semi-auto. Mini-14, AR15, FAL, .30Carbine, HK91,
    etc. The pistol caliber carbines, such as the S&W, are also acceptable.

At least 5 magazines per long-gun.

Shotguns should be of the defensive type. Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, Benelli Super-90,
    etc. Barrels should be the shorter 18 1/2 to 20-inch type, NOT the 24/28-inch field-type!

Pistols are to be carried during shotgun and rifle instruction.

Secondary/back-up pistols are encouraged at all times!

Hearing and eye protection are manditory, as well as some sort of brimed hat (baseball cap, etc...)

Be prepared for the weather!

For further equipment details, go to:
    Defense Training International, Inc.

If you have any other questions, please contact:

Frank Sharpe, Jr.
    708-362-0786
    dtomfrank@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I just saw that in the other thread. I'm signed up for two training in the next month and funds are starting to get thin... I'll have to see what I can do. Thanks for passing it along, Rhino. :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Purse carry is definitely questionable, and I agree with most in this regard (it's the most common snatch and grab target), and womens' fashions definitely make it difficult to conceal... but it's not just women... as a man I have to alter my preferred "wardrobe", if you will, to carry, but a gun in a purse beats fingernails and car keys and rocks

A belly band actually works well for many people, but you have to give up the tight fitted shirts for example.

Many women (and apparently you as well) don't like SmartCarry or Thunderwear, my wife doesn't, as that is exactly the spot women are trying to minimize, it think "pooch" is the word she uses.

A high hip holster (not with boy-cut jeans, low-rise or whatever they're called) and a button down blouse, untucked, does a good job of concealing, and doesn't call any attention to the fact that you're carrying since many blouses are designed to be worn that way. You might also consider appendix carry, either can work and should be tried, one or the other might work depending on your shape.

The low rise jeans are tough too, although the holster is low enough so the grip dosn't press into your ribcage, the curve of the waist makes it look like grip is sticking out, and is hard to cover with a shirt that not too baggy, or long.

Have you considered a fanny pack? Pehaps on a guy is screams "GUN", but not so much (or at all) on a woman, and yes, not very fashionable these days...

And to go along with Lars... yeah, give open carry a try... "man" with a gun might prompt a call to police but "lady" with a gun... doubtful.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Thanks, Kludge... those are exactly the concerns I was facing. Lars pointed out key items in my wardrobe that would actually do a decent job of concealing. I might still lean toward not carrying regularly, and rely on my brilliant husband to defend me (or pick up his gun if somehow he becomes incapacitated), and make sure I wear my oversized sweaters and sweatshirts on the days I go out without him in tow. :)

Top Bottom