• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah. No need to get personal with family pictures. “Your mom” jokes are one thing if you’re friends with the person. Otherwise it’s a pretty direct antagonistic move.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My son plays H.S. football on a team that doesn't have a history of a lot of success. I can tell you that sportsmanship at the H.S. level is a thing of the past. My son tells me what the opposing players say during the game and it is rather surprising, we would never have said things like that. It is now normal to be taunted on pretty much every play. When the other team scores a touchdown, you can expect to hear "Why so Quiet?" from the opposing crowd, it's actually an organized cheer. A penalty called on your team gets "You can't do that!" I have had parents from other teams tell me what a loser I am as we leave the game. Ironically, Cathedral was one of the worst as far as the parents went.

Considering what is now considered normal, it is not at all surprising that this kid crossed the line. I'm an adult and it's not real clear to me what the lines are anymore.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I think weve become a bunch of softies in society today. This was NOT right and I am not defending it in any way. But like I said, no one was raped. Words hurt. Words can suck. Kids are learning they can basicly hault the world if they feel wronged or stressed anymore. But reality doesnt work that way. It only works that way if your story sells ratings.
    Brush it off and move on. Someone elses words do not make you less of a person nor will they make you fail unless you allow it to.
    Threats, those are different. But names, and cruelty like this? Wrong, but not criminal. This is a teaching moment and they are kids who are still learning. We are adults, so we are perfect and have all the answers right? ;)

:yesway:

Kids do stupid ****. We all did. 99% of the time for every stupid **** moment I had I knew immediately that it was stupid ****. Expulsion, moving them back a grade or two or basically anything beyond a public apology and a 3 day ISS is the adult version of stupid ****.

That's the problem with the human race; deep down inside we don't really LEARN from our mistakes because we keep repeating them. Now. . .back to the hot chicks fishing thread!

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Turned on the news this morning and this was the lead story, consuming much of the half hour. It's a sad, tasteless and stupid incident, but I just don't see it as newsworthy.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My son plays H.S. football on a team that doesn't have a history of a lot of success. I can tell you that sportsmanship at the H.S. level is a thing of the past. My son tells me what the opposing players say during the game and it is rather surprising, we would never have said things like that. It is now normal to be taunted on pretty much every play. When the other team scores a touchdown, you can expect to hear "Why so Quiet?" from the opposing crowd, it's actually an organized cheer. A penalty called on your team gets "You can't do that!" I have had parents from other teams tell me what a loser I am as we leave the game. Ironically, Cathedral was one of the worst as far as the parents went.

Considering what is now considered normal, it is not at all surprising that this kid crossed the line. I'm an adult and it's not real clear to me what the lines are anymore.
    We had some wild stuff happen and said when I was In school sports. We had a home and opposing crowd bleacher clearing on field brawl too.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What I don’t like is the assumption everyone knew he has a seizure disorder. Just because it was in the star does not mean people know.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/2183199002

interesting. Kid says he was imitating a fish. Had a skit with another kid who didn’t make the game who was to be the fisherman. Did not know he had a seizure disorder.

interesting how more info changes things

I also heard CG students had researched the team and had a list of things to taunt Cathedral players about. They had nothing written about Franklin. Hrm.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

interesting. Kid says he was imitating a fish. Had a skit with another kid who didn’t make the game who was to be the fisherman. Did not know he had a seizure disorder.

I also heard CG students had researched the team and had a list of things to taunt Cathedral players about. They had nothing written about Franklin. Hrm.
    So all this proabably for nothing. Kid didnt even do anything wrong and some people looking for any reason to be offended bu anything were. What a surprise

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Kid also apparently had a history of employing similar distracting techniques at other games against other teams.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

My understanding is that the CG kid apologized, or tried to, after the game. If he was mimicking a fish, why the apology?

Cathedral and CG football played just a few weeks ago. That was a game full of unsportsmanlike conduct, much from CG, and won by CG.

I've seen alot of HS football the last few years, and it is a mixed bag. Some of the games are chock full of sportsmanship. Others, not so much.

In basketball, the "you can't do that" cheer is roughly equivalent to the "we've got spirit, yes we do" call/response. This seizure thing is WAY past that. And, since the kid's struggle with epilepsy made the news - and resulting social media - a couple years ago, I find it implausible that the CG student section leaders were unaware of it. Maybe not EVERY CG student knew of it, but that's when the mob mentality kicks in and they go along with it.

I don't see how anyone can look at the video and think "Hmmm... looks like the kid was acting like a fish out of water." That was a seizure impersonation. Write him up, suspend him from attending basketball games until the tournament, and call it a day.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    IMO, kids these days don't know what funny is. For them it's all shock humor. The more crass and demeaning the better.

Just look at the idiot who thought it would be hilarious to make fun of a guy with an eye patch.

I have to get on my son about this. For them, humor and jokes aren't clever anymore. It's all about being loud and disrespectful. I know that part of it is because of the TV he watches. After seeing what is on Nickelodeon and Disney, I have shut that garbage down. Nothing but sarcastic loud-mouth disrespectful little ****s as far as the eye can see.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    CG’s response.

https://www.centergrove.k12.in.us/c...ty/Domain/37/120318_CG Parent_Staff Email.pdf

Haa anyone other than the player said they heard “have another seizure”?

T lex, if I saw that kid doing that without the context of the player having a seizure disorder I would not think he was mimicking a seizure. It looked nothing like a seizure. If it were a multiple choice between “mimicking a fish flopping” and “mimicking a seizure” the fish answer would win easily.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I agree. The comedians suck and set a terrible example.

that being said... give “teen titans go” a chance

IMO, kids these days don't know what funny is. For them it's all shock humor. The more crass and demeaning the better.

Just look at the idiot who thought it would be hilarious to make fun of a guy with an eye patch.

I have to get on my son about this. For them, humor and jokes aren't clever anymore. It's all about being loud and disrespectful. I know that part of it is because of the TV he watches. After seeing what is on Nickelodeon and Disney, I have shut that garbage down. Nothing but sarcastic loud-mouth disrespectful little ****s as far as the eye can see.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Most teenagers haven't lived long enough to learn humility. The parents, on the other hand, should certainly know better.

It's not about living long enough, IMO, its more about how people don't get popped in the mouth when they get out of line. A good smack has traditionally done wonders for behavior.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    CG’s response.

https://www.centergrove.k12.in.us/c...ty/Domain/37/120318_CG Parent_Staff Email.pdf

Haa anyone other than the player said they heard “have another seizure”?

Alas, I have only heard from Cathedral people that they heard it, but I suspect that is insufficient credibility.

T lex, if I saw that kid doing that without the context of the player having a seizure disorder I would not think he was mimicking a seizure. It looked nothing like a seizure. If it were a multiple choice between “mimicking a fish flopping” and “mimicking a seizure” the fish answer would win easily.

Having seen seizures, I agree that it looks nothing like a real one.

To me, it looks exactly like what a high school kid would think a seizure looks like. No "hook in the mouth" bit (which I have been known to use when making a point about "taking the bait").

Also, the kid in question had been praised by an earlier tweet from the basketball program for being a "legend" at distracting opponents. Kid is probably smart and does his research.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Here is a classic ER video regarding fake seizures. It’s funny because it’s true.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6sRyrB_UMA&feature=youtu.be

This whole situation is why hate crimes legislation is a bad idea. You could easily get a jury to convict this kid if you made what he did a “hate” crime. Yet he claims to have had no idea about the seizure disorder, meaning he did not intend it the way it was perceived.

a friend who closely follows HS sports and is affiliated with CG did not know Of the sz disorder. Was this kid the star of the team? Was he the one you thought of when you thought cathedral basketball? Or was he a side story? Again, there was a list of things to taunt cathedral players about, and that list contained nothing about this kid.

regarding the cathedral people hearing “have another seizure”, assuming that was from the student section, how close were they to it? The kids must have been really yelling to be clearly heard by someone a distance away. These games are all taped. I’d Like some audio. Ear witnesses are just as bad as eye witnesses.

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's not about living long enough, IMO, its more about how people don't get popped in the mouth when they get out of line. A good smack has traditionally done wonders for behavior.

A-men!! It used to be that when you said something stupid, you got immediate life altering feedback.

Top Bottom