• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    On page one of said hunting guide........

"This is a summary of Indiana hunting and trapping regulations. It is designed as a service to sportsmen and women and is not intended to be a complete digest of all hunting and trapping regulations. Most regulations are subject to change by administrative rule.".......

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Just spoke with a friend of mine who is a Major with DNR. He confirmed we are no longer allowed to use any centerfiee rifles for deer on state property. So damn.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Wow, Politics at work! I gotta say, WTF DNR?!!? I sincerely hope this was unintended, and not a, oh so the state congress is going to tell us how to do our job, so we'll just accidentally outlaw all centerfire rifles on public land. Like someone said above, they dont have to enforce this stupid stuff do they, if they in fact know it wasnt supposed to be this way?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Just downloaded the 2017 Hunting & Trapping Guide from the DNR site.

DNR: Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/17INHD_LR_2.pdf

Page # 23:

Centerfire Rifles
    Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a
    bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have
    a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and
    have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches
    are legal to use only during the deer firearms,
    youth, reduction zones from Nov. 18-Jan. 31
    (in zones where local ordinances allow the use
    of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons.
    These rifle cartridges can be used on public and
    private land...

It says I'm good for regular firearms seasons with my .357 rifle. :dunno:

:popcorn:

:yesway:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Wow, Politics at work! I gotta say, WTF DNR?!!? I sincerely hope this was unintended, and not a, oh so the state congress is going to tell us how to do our job, so we'll just accidentally outlaw all centerfire rifles on public land. Like someone said above, they dont have to enforce this stupid stuff do they, if they in fact know it wasnt supposed to be this way?

It is not the DNR. It is the legislators that screwed up the first one (excluding 270s and 25.06) and then passed another one to clarify the first one and screwed it up more so. Want an answer? Contact the authors of the last bill and ask them how they could screw up every bill they wrote on this.. The "guide" is just that a guide. It even has a disclaimer in it. The DNR has to enforce the law as written.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    One would hope COs would exercise discretion in citing public land hunters with PCRs this year, especially given the language in the Hunting Guide.

It has been MONTHS since this bill was passed and signed by the Governor, and less than two months before firearms season opens they're going into a quarter-arsed "information campaign" via social media???

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I only hunt on private land, but I see this as a potential fiasco.
    If the DNR actually does enforce this to the letter of the law, especially without widespread notification of prospective hunters, there will be MANY arrests for using now illegal equipment.
    The hunting/trapping guide is the bible to most sportsmen.
    If it's not in the regulation guide book, to them, it doesn't exist.

Leave it to legislators to screw something like this up this completely.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Yep, there is going to be a ton of guys who aren't on "social media" taking their PCRs into the woods like they've done for years. I'd have to hope COs wouldn't enforce this at the grassroots level for good old boys who are licensed and not intentionally breaking a law.

A 44mag on state land? Should absolutely not cite that.

Guy with a .458 SOCOM on state land? Yep, that's just a blatant violation of e new laws.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Yep, there is going to be a ton of guys who aren't on "social media" taking their PCRs into the woods like they've done for years. I'd have to hope COs wouldn't enforce this at the grassroots level for good old boys who are licensed and not intentionally breaking a law.

A 44mag on state land? Should absolutely not cite that.

Guy with a .458 SOCOM on state land? Yep, that's just a blatant violation of e new laws.

How would using a 458 socom be a blatant violation? This caliber was legal last year on public and private land. The only reason I'm seeing its not legal this year is because of this forum. In my opinion DNR should be sending out mass emails to all that have purchased deer licenses so that we have the truth. The require an email address when getting your license so it shouldn't be that hard. And if all centerfire rifles are no longer allowed, issuing refunds for the firearms season to those who want one! This is complete

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Makes you wonder how much other legislation gets screwed up.

Do they proof read their own laws, or just pass them on the way to the law/lobby firm cocktail party.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Makes you wonder how much other legislation gets screwed up.

Do they proof read their own laws, or just pass them on the way to the law/lobby firm cocktail party.

"We have to pass the bill so we can find out what's in it." - Nancy Pelosi

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    How would using a 458 socom be a blatant violation? This caliber was legal last year on public and private land. The only reason I'm seeing its not legal this year is because of this forum. In my opinion DNR should be sending out mass emails to all that have purchased deer licenses so that we have the truth. The require an email address when getting your license so it shouldn't be that hard. And if all centerfire rifles are no longer allowed, issuing refunds for the firearms season to those who want one! This is complete

My point was that when they originally added high powered rifles it was very clear they could not be used on public land. That was clearly articulated and published. Anyone who did use HP rifles on public land was blatantly violating the regulations.

This new development will result in a lot of by the book hunters who think they are in the right using PCRs on state land violating the law.

And i I agree it is complete BS

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My point was that when they originally added high powered rifles it was very clear they could not be used on public land. That was clearly articulated and published. Anyone who did use HP rifles on public land was blatantly violating the regulations.

This new development will result in a lot of by the book hunters who think they are in the right using PCRs on state land violating the law.

And i I agree it is complete BS

Go back and look at the hunting guide. It clearly states the calibers that were allowed on BOTH public and private land and 458 socom was one of them.
    29ftseh.jpg

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Go back and look at the hunting guide. It clearly states the calibers that were allowed on BOTH public and private land and 458 socom was one of them.
    29ftseh.jpg

Huh. I stand corrected. I didn't realize that caliber was legal back with the old pistol calibers. Thought it was added in 2016. Appreciate the correction

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    No problem. I had to go back to doublecheck and make sure i wasn't wrong, especially since I've used 458socom the last 2 years on public property

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Do you mean I have been collecting handgun caliber lever action carbines for nothing? I will have to use hunting prowess with a muzzle loader (one shot one kill) rather than firepower? Oh fiddle sticks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe it just needs some test cases.

How well do you think this will hold up in front of a judge when you bring the Hunting & Trapping guide as evidence?

"I followed the rules from the official DNR publication as I have been taught to for my whole life?" :dunno:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Maybe it just needs some test cases.

How well do you think this will hold up in front of a judge when you bring the Hunting & Trapping guide as evidence?

"I followed the rules from the official DNR publication as I have been taught to for my whole life?" :dunno:

And with official DNR facbook pages referencing the guide for hunting regulations. Even when calling the local number I am told to reference the hunting guide.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Ok, to clarify this. I just had a face to face with our county CO. (I am on the Sheriff's department) He pulled up an email, from his chain of command, that he had received today.
    The wording from the legislature was an oversight on the "ALL rifles on public ground statement." Center fire rifles are NOT allowed on public ground. Even though the Hunting Regulation booklet says so.
    Now, with that being said, the COs were advised to use sound discretion when dealing with someone who thought they were in the right, according to the Hunting Regs.
    The DNR is working to change the on-line regs. Too late to change the published booklet, obviously.
    So now you know ground truth.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ok, to clarify this. I just had a face to face with our county CO. (I am on the Sheriff's department) He pulled up an email, from his chain of command, that he had received today.
    The wording from the legislature was an oversight on the "ALL rifles on public ground statement." Center fire rifles are NOT allowed on public ground. Even though the Hunting Regulation booklet says so.
    Now, with that being said, the COs were advised to use sound discretion when dealing with someone who thought they were in the right, according to the Hunting Regs.
    The DNR is working to change the on-line regs. Too late to change the published booklet, obviously.
    So now you know ground truth.

Still a load of BS. In the private sector you make this mistake and you are looking for work, in the public sector you get patted on the back and told to do better next time. Whoever was responsible for editing and updating the hunting guide should be fired. Or an executive action should be taken to provide a temporary fix for the law to match the printed regulations. Hunters education refers to the guide and most will not be privy to the inside information that the C/O's will be operating with. Sound discretion is a BS term meaning "if you feel like ticketing the hunter, do it". If the upper echelon of the DNR was worth their salt they would have had the word out more than a month before the season starts. Seems like a great way to say "we arrested x number of people in 2017 illegally hunting with centerfire rifles on public ground. We do not recommend allowing high power rifles to be used." This needs to be on t.v., radio, newspapers. Like changing a speed limit without changing the signs then telling the highway patrol to enforce the speed limit hidden in the code and not the one posted on the road.

Top Bottom