• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have no problem selling guns that I am done with, even if I "lose money" on the transaction. (I say it that way because the money is already gone whether you keep the gun or sell it, so you don't lose any money when selling.)

A few years ago I picked up a Walther PPS M2 that I planned to make my primary carry piece. I bought a few different holsters, more magazines, a mag carrier, etc. Then when I started practicing with it, it turned out that I didn't shoot it very well. After 600 rounds, I was still shooting better with a little Keltec .380.

The PPS never did make it into regular carry for me, and so I put it up in the classifieds, and and it sold the same day. I put that money into magazines, holsters, and a mag carrier for something I can shoot.

You all can keep guns that you have no use for, I guess, but I try not to do that with anything (vehicles, clothing, camping gear, etc.), so I don't do it with guns either.

Your conflating financial value and use. If you have a use for something, then you're going to use your money back out of it. If you have no use for something, then you wasted your money when you bought it.

This is basically how I explain putting money into valueless cars to people. I will get my money back through use.

Really... I'm starting to think the take away here is to practice with any suspected new carry gun for quite awhile before you end up upside down on accessories like holsters and mags. Dump a few hundred rounds through it and if it's not for you, by all means, dump it.

Right now I have 3 carry guns in the rotation. Glock 21, Ruger P90, Ruger LC9. They all fit unique roles so I keep them around and in that rotation for a reason. I bought them all knowing what the task was in the beginning and if they didn't suit the task, I would have kept shopping or sold them almost immediately. Fortunately I was able to try before I buy with all of those, so, it worked out. I just can't imagine carrying a gun for a year or two and then being like "well... this was dumb". Just not my thought process, personally.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have several guns in the carry rotation. They all look and act and eat just like Glock 19’s. I sold a G19 to a friend last week because he needed a gun and couldn’t get one. That said, when I change carry guns, it’s another G19, and the old carry gun goes into the safe as a training gun, or elsewhere as an Oh **** gun. I have guns besides G19’s, but I’m slowly getting rid of those to make more room for G19’s. If you don’t alr3ady have three identical carry guns, you are wrong. If you don’t already have AT LEAST 1 off your property, somewhere .gov cannot link to you, you are wrong. Selling a carry gun because you bought a new one is just silly? I don’t understand, unless you’re unemployed facing eviction and loss of everthing?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Everyone’s responses make sense. It was something I realized I do and not even sure why I did. My first one was a ruger LCP. Honestly didn’t think I would need a pocket gun again I guess? Second one was a glock 43. I’m now on kimber ultra carry 2. Had this one the longest, probably 3 years now? Not sure. I don’t intend to get rid of this one though.
    You should, it’s a Kimber.

crazygunner1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Kokomo
    Does anyone else do this or maybe just me? Every single time I’ve purchased a new gun to carry with me, I always sell the previous one I carried. I’m not sure why. It’s pretty much automatic.

That is how life is, you got yourself a new girlfriend and then you let go of the old girl. Simple! Most people have this in their DNA including me. It is not a bad habit IMO, it is just the way we humans behave lol.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I do typically, assuming they’re of the same type. Can’t carry two at the same time. I mean you could but you know what I’m saying. I got the new one typically because it does the job better. They’re tools for me.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    At 1 point in my life, I was down to a Kel-Tec .32. THAT will never happen again. I have narrowed my "Type" down to Glocks and 1911's. Don't plan on ever selling any again. I grew out of that stage:fogey:

Bob

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    the money is already gone whether you keep the gun or sell it, so you don't lose any money when selling.)

This reminds me of the "I went to Walmart and "saved" money. I don't go very often at all, but when I do go, I spend money.

If you bought the gun for say, $400 and it sits in your safe for 3 years and you know you are never going to use it, then unless you are a collector, it has zero value.

However, if you sell it for say, $300 you didn't lose $100, you gained $300 to put into something that you will use.

I have always believed that nothing has value unless you are using it. And yes, admiring it is "using" it in my opinion. The value of a piece of art is that the owner likes it. It has meaning to them. My FIL has a stamp collection with several stamps worth upwards of $600. They mean something to him as a collector. They have value to him. It they were mine, not so much. But, if I sold those stamps and bought some firearms that I wanted (and valued), then I now have value.

I know, my mind is a little twisted.:)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Your conflating financial value and use. If you have a use for something, then you're going to use your money back out of it. If you have no use for something, then you wasted your money when you bought it.

This is basically how I explain putting money into valueless cars to people. I will get my money back through use.

If he carried it for a year or two, didn't he then use his money back out of it?

Really... I'm starting to think the take away here is to practice with any suspected new carry gun for quite awhile before you end up upside down on accessories like holsters and mags. Dump a few hundred rounds through it and if it's not for you, by all means, dump it.

I don't know how to practice with a gun without a holster and magazine carrier. My problem with the PPS was that I didn't get a consistent grip when drawing, so I couldn't shoot it well. You can't learn that standing at a firing line with no gear.

If I'm "upside down" on the gear, how are you not upside down on the few hundred rounds?

Right now I have 3 carry guns in the rotation. Glock 21, Ruger P90, Ruger LC9. They all fit unique roles so I keep them around and in that rotation for a reason. I bought them all knowing what the task was in the beginning and if they didn't suit the task, I would have kept shopping or sold them almost immediately. Fortunately I was able to try before I buy with all of those, so, it worked out. I just can't imagine carrying a gun for a year or two and then being like "well... this was dumb". Just not my thought process, personally.

If you try a Sig P365, I think you will find it fits the same role as the LC9 but does a better job.

What would you do then? Keep the inferior option because you are pot committed?

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    Right that’s one thing I’ve always agreed on. If something is marked down, you didn’t actually save anything. You still spent whatever it was just less than they wanted before. Mentioning Walmart reminds me of the first firearm I ever bought. It was from Walmart. I was 18. It was a .22 rifle and man was it a piece of junk. It was only a hundred bucks if that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why sell a perfectly good gun you are used to unless you need the cash. Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Get get two of the same gun you like.

If I keep a gun I don't like, then I may not have enough funds to buy one I will like.

There's a lot of other costs with a carry gun - good holsters, extra mags, ammo if it's a different, training time, etc. All of those are reasons why I haven't moved away from my XD.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well said and makes complete sense. I’ve been reading through a lot of posts and keep seeing the p365. I believe it was being compared to a hellcat, which is one I’ve been eyeballing. Do you choose it over the p238 or p938? I have no experience with them. Are they even in the same size range?

doddge does it all the time, he tries them all, keeps what he likes, and sells what doesn't work.

Enjoyed reading this thread with the different viewpoints.
    I do like to buy mostly used, try a gun out, but open to something different.
    After nearly 3 yrs. of a frenetic pace of doing that, I'm settling down now.
    Retirement forces that pace as well ($$).
    I had been away from the gun world for decades and had alot of catching up to do. :)

I sold my Shield (that I'd kept the longest), after shooting a friend's 365.
    I'm old fashioned in that I wanted a safety on my CC (or DA/SA) & sold the 365.
    I went back to a Shield 2.0 before finally got a used a Sig 938 and thought it was perfect.

I finally ran across a used 365 with a safety from a member and after taking it to the range with the 938: kept the 365.
    It fit my hand better, & the greater capacity is hard to argue.

Make sure you do check out the Hellcat, some like it better than the 365, some not.
    There are 2-3 threads about the Hellcat.
    I've not shot one yet, but even if I do like it, b/c of reasons mentioned in this thread: of holster(s), mags & the like, I'll just keep the 365 for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    Enjoyed reading this thread with the different viewpoints.
    I do like to buy mostly used, try a gun out, but open to something different.
    After nearly 3 yrs. of a frenetic pace of doing that, I'm settling down now.
    Retirement forces that pace as well ($$).
    I had been away from the gun world for decades and had alot of catching up to do. :)

I sold my Shield (that I'd kept the longest), after shooting a friend's 365.
    I'm old fashioned in that I wanted a safety on my CC (or DA/SA) & sold the 365.
    I went back to a Shield 2.0 before finally got a used a Sig 938 and thought it was perfect.

I finally ran across a used 365 with a safety from a member and after taking it to the range with the 938: kept the 365.
    It fit my hand better, & the greater capacity is hard to argue.

Make sure you do check out the Hellcat, some like it better than the 365, some not.
    There are 2-3 threads about the Hellcat.
    I've not shot one yet, but even if I do like it, b/c of reasons mentioned in this thread: of holster(s), mags & the like, I'll just keep the 365 for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your input. Definitely will check out all three actually before I make a purchase. Heck I may even buy more than one of em *♂️ Who knows.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well said and makes complete sense. I’ve been reading through a lot of posts and keep seeing the p365. I believe it was being compared to a hellcat, which is one I’ve been eyeballing. Do you choose it over the p238 or p938? I have no experience with them. Are they even in the same size range?

Not into the hammer fired stuff myself. The 238/938, etc is completely different from the 365 from my perspective. Never even looked at them honestly, just different animals.

I have several guns in the carry rotation. They all look and act and eat just like Glock 19’s. I sold a G19 to a friend last week because he needed a gun and couldn’t get one. That said, when I change carry guns, it’s another G19, and the old carry gun goes into the safe as a training gun, or elsewhere as an Oh **** gun. I have guns besides G19’s, but I’m slowly getting rid of those to make more room for G19’s. If you don’t alr3ady have three identical carry guns, you are wrong. If you don’t already have AT LEAST 1 off your property, somewhere .gov cannot link to you, you are wrong. Selling a carry gun because you bought a new one is just silly? I don’t understand, unless you’re unemployed facing eviction and loss of everthing?

I already have 3 identical carry guns, in most everything I have. That's the issue for me and why I'll usually sell something off if I am moving on to another in that role (well except for the Glock 19's that is). Moved from the 43 to the 365 for that subcompact role. Once I proved out the 365, the 43's went on the market to fund additional 365's and mags, etc. As stated, I did not do that with my Glock 19's. Still have multiples of those, even though I sort of "replaced" them with multiples of the M&P Compact 2.0's. Only real 1 off I have that is somewhat starting in the carry rotation is the 320 xCompact, and it just hasn't proven itself enough quite fully to go all in with multiple guns, etc.

If you try a Sig P365, I think you will find it fits the same role as the LC9 but does a better job.

Agreed, if I find something better and after it proves itself for me, I typically sell of the old to fund the multiples of the identical new gun that has taken its place. I buy into a platform typically, and take the funds from the previous platform I have decided to no longer carry (in that role) and invest in stacking deep on the new platform. I'm not selling a 1 off to fund another 1 off.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for your input. Definitely will check out all three actually before I make a purchase. Heck I may even buy more than one of em 路*♂️ Who knows.

I usually never have met another gun I have said, "No thanks," to trying out, if it's in my "price range."
    I have guns that I bought just b/c of price & I've never had that brand before.
    Sometimes I end up loving it and and hang onto it, like the DAO Kahr CT I got off a member here fairly recently: I can't explain it, but my hand loves the feel of it.
    It still surprises me that I've still got it. I don't need it, I just WANT it.
    It doesn't do anything that my Sig 365 doesn't do better.
    Others, like an HK that I was so happy to get: I couldn't shoot it (very low for me).
    There was a Walther that I also was so glad to get, but it "bit" my finger when I shot it.
    You just never know what the hand will like.
    Just enjoy the journey.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope. I might sell one in the rotation but I have more than 1 in that rotation hence the term rotation.
    And if I do let one go it is mainly to build another 1.....or 2.....:)

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Does anyone else do this or maybe just me? Every single time I’ve purchased a new gun to carry with me, I always sell the previous one I carried. I’m not sure why. It’s pretty much automatic.

I usually keep the old gun - I would have probably sold my 1st gen. Shield 9mm but they have dropped so much in price since the time I bought mine new so I decided to keep it. Plus it does not cost me anything to keep it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If he carried it for a year or two, didn't he then use his money back out of it?

Sure... But my question then becomes if it was good for years why wouldn't you continue to have it around as an option? If you're confident enough in it to save your life for several years, and you have a good system in place, why dump it at all? I get it that needs change and technology advances, but a good system is still good, IMO.

I don't know how to practice with a gun without a holster and magazine carrier. My problem with the PPS was that I didn't get a consistent grip when drawing, so I couldn't shoot it well. You can't learn that standing at a firing line with no gear.

If I'm "upside down" on the gear, how are you not upside down on the few hundred rounds?

That's a firm argument on the holster side of the equation. I was envisioning a situation more where someone buys something out of the display at the store and simply can't shoot it well or discovered ergo problems, etc... I was suggesting more of a try it before you fully commit to help get over that situation. In the case of your Walther, it doesn't sound like you carried it for years either as OP as suggested he has with his stuff.

As for ammo, I feel that's akin to lumping the gas for a car you don't like to drive against the car. You're still getting to a destination with it and at a certain point, practice is practice. It's also reasonable to assume that most of us enjoy shooting and if you shoot any gun, you're burning up ammo. If you don't enjoy shooting that particular gun, stop burning up the ammo and dump it before making a larger investment. That's all I was getting at.

I'd keep the LC9 because I don't have to sell it and the financial return of doing so is so small that it isn't appealing to me to consider. Going back to the point that it's an entire weapons system, I'd lose heaps of money on it even if I had used some money back through time and I'd lose capability doing it. A small amount of money vs. the additional capability just isn't worth it to me. As others have said, with an entire system I can even hand it over to another shooter and they've got everything they need to defend them self. That capability alone is worth hanging on to it. Now, if I had 200 systems stacked up everywhere, my opinion there could change since I doubt I'll feel a need to some day equip 200 shooters or that I'll find 200 unique situations in any reasonably amount of time where I'd want to carry every single one of them (say... carrying 200 different guns in a year).

---

Some of this may just come down to personality types too. I think I have 10 complete, and different, wrench sets out in my tool box in the garage. Do I need 10 complete sets? No... Is it nice to have them? Yes. Could I sell some of them and recover some amount of money? Sure. But, if I have a use for them, if even occasional, I'll keep them around because it just isn't worth it to me financially or otherwise to dump 'em. Now... If I have some poor quality wrenches that let me down (which I do... I'm not pleased with my ratcheting wrenches... but they're not life saving tools either like firearms) I'd consider shipping them off to another life upon replacement with superior tools. However, I'd be much more inclined to put them in a different, lesser used, kit than I would be to sell them off. Just like I'd velcro my LC9 to the bottom of a chair or under the dash of my car or some other secondary role if I were to buy a Sig. Unless I can't reasonably secure them all, I'm starving, or I buy something that I just hate (which I wouldn't be carrying for years), I'm highly unlikely to ever sell a gun.

Top Bottom