• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So the S has H the F... Now AR's and AK's, and nice HD shotguns are GREAT, but say you want to arm 6 or 7 other comrades or you dont have the hundreds of dollars to spend? I know I dont have 7 AR's..:xmad: Further yet say you want a weapons cache, stow away some guns out somewhere that need to be able to be used and maybe ditched, disposable guns if you will. Guns for the basic guy to use, to arm as many people as possible or for someone to get on the cheap so at least they have a fighting chance. Lets say around $150 give or take. Mosin's? Single shot shotguns or Toppers? Handi rifles? Hi Point carbines? .22's?
    What would be the best in this situation? What say you...??:popcorn:
    If it gets that bad, I will just go take what I need from the stores. If it is that bad wouldn't they be on our side as well????

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd go with the Mosins as a hand out rifle with the only reservation being that the kick will cause a huge flinch with the uninitiated and could cause the chance of a hit to drop significantly over 30 yards. We have 7 Mosins in the house and about 1000 rounds stored and shoot them a bunch, but early on, we could not hit a thing at 50 yards. We all had such a flinch that we were not even putting rounds on the paper, let alone the target.

If handing rifles out to folks with a shooting background, the Mosin would do well. Giving one to your Aunt and expecting her to hit something the first time she ever shot would not work too well.

How about a mix of rifles as hand outs? A bunch of Mosins, a couple SKS's and some 10/22s. That mix could fit out a group with mixed backgrounds in shooting. Even your Grandmother could probably do well with a 10/22 if need be.

Oh, and if you do hand out Mosins, hand out some ear plugs as well.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Get 5 or 6 Maverick 12g's. The ammo is common and powerful. It would be much easier than carrying around a ton of .22 or looking for more ammo for your Mosin. The power to weight is great and no one can question the stopping power. Even if you could never find 9mm again there would still be 12g. You can pick the ammo for the job (mission) and if nothing else they are a great club to whack something/someone with. You can pick them up cheaper than a 10/22 and have one with a longer barrel or just carry extras. Rifles are great ( I have two ) but my shotgun trumps my AR in the world of SHTF. .22's would work if you are just trying to get away and or make someone/thing leave you alone so you can run away but a 12g will stop a fight and secure your safety. If you have made a new enemy then the best thing to do is make him a non-threat forever... The only downside i see is magazine capacity. I have a 10/22 and would never use a .22 for a SHTF or Bug out. In that scenario you need efficiency and reliability. Sure if you shoot something and keep shooting it with a .22 it will go down but what if you have multiple targets? 12g gives you one shot one kill perfection where as a .22 would take longer to do the job and a Mosin might just fail due to that surplus ammo. The SKS sounds good but the ammo is more rare. I am not trying to beat a dead horse here so i'll stop. I just think a Maverick pump action would be relabel and sturdy enough to handle the job. With 5 people ( a squad ) you would be hard to beat.

Jim Gray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Get 5 or 6 Maverick 12g's.

Versatile, robust, simple, cost effective.....and on and on.

Sling, ammo pouch, and a mounted light.

Pistols? Smith 686 (shoot .38 and .357 ).
    686's are all over the place used.

Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Mosins, maybe but I have a grudge against mosins so ill pass.

Id go with something a little better, say a Yugo M48. It was my go to gun until I got my 38spl revolver habit, now its a 1955 S&W model 10.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A Mosin grudge?? :dunno:

Do tell :popcorn:
    Could it be the addiction to Mosin's bit a little too hard?:D I know I hate the way they all call out to me to take them home when I'm at Bradis. It's like visiting the animal shelter the day after someone dropped off a litter of yellow lab pups. They all need a good home, right?

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    .22s would be great. Can carry a ton of ammo without too much weight and if your a decent shot can survive just fine on one..

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Mosin M44 Carbines, great guns for the money and ammo is relatively affordable as well. Plus you can actually get some decent rounds down range once you get the hang of the bolt on the Mosin. Second would be 10-22

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    SKS...just cause I already own a few....
    Mosin If I didn't.
    Shotty also an excllent choice.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think that this is going to vary with terrain, so I'm leaving out any ATT reach out and touch you rifles for 2 reasons, most people are not going to be very good long distance shooters and ammo availability.

That said in 75 to 125 yards range a good cheap 22's with preferably a heavy bbl, if it's a Ruger, bbl swaps can be cheap and can be made into a longer shooter. Plus you can have the larger mags for them to ease reloading issues and you can carry a ton more 22 ammo than anything else.

25 to 100 yards a Hi-Point 995 carbine, packs a punch for a 9mm and can take down a yote at 100 yards. Plus 9mm is cheap and can store it up in the 1000rd bulk.

Close and personal, a Hi-point 9mm handgun, shares the 9mm with the carbine to reduce the types of ammo needed.

The above is cheap, affords flexibility and most anyone regardless of experience can use the above.

And did I mention CHEAP (yes I did), that said you could outfit 6 to 7 people prestty good with that.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have a mosin. I have several cheapy pistolas,including a Hi-point C9. I think I need a hi point carbine to go with it. I have several shotguns as well, including an especially mean Stevens double barrel 12 with 18" barrels. Hi point 995 is next on my list, or was it a pistol grip shotgun that was next? lol

Top Bottom