• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Question for LEOs; is it common to run across people illegally carrying who use a retention holster and carry spare mags?

I don't know that it's exactly common, but it's not never. One of the police action shootings here in Indy a few years back the bad guy had a decent holster and dual mag carrier.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I did see the body camera footage, and for my money, it did appear that the decedent reached for his pistol. Of course, the mainstream in Chicago want the bad guys to shoot first. Even if the bad guys fired first and were later cut down, there would still be protests because the bad guy was just defending himself.

Chicago is infested with criminals, from the Mayor's office down to the street level drug dealers. The police caught one armed, and the criminal paid the price. Case closed. But no, like the proverbial hamster on the wheel, this will go on and on.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I support our rights as stated in the constitution but do not feel as though we should be rebels and taunt anyone. It appears he had a firearm that was noticeable - Illinois has strict gun laws that says it must be concealed. Illinois has strict laws, we can debate the constitutional stance on them another time, for now, they are law.

We have an individual in a high crime, high murder area that "apparently" exhibited a firearm in public; which is illegal. Profiling is essential, especially in high crime - high murder areas. The individual appeared to resist police and in doing so, his firearm was visualized. The individual appeared to move away from the police and placed his hand in the vicinity of his firearm. High crime, high murder rate, illegal carry, resisting officer and reaching for a gun.

Why was he stopped? I do not know, but I am glad no innocent people were killed.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    The story didn't say what precipitated the confrontation. Is "stop and frisk" a thing in Chicago?

The area surrounding the incident is high on the list of Chicago's "criminal activity". The local business's requested that additional police be assigned to the neighborhood. So foot patrol officers assigned to serve the neighborhood observed (they're paid to observe) that the now dead mope appeared to have a gun on him, they asked him. He said he had a gun. When the police asked if he had a carry permit he said no but he had a FOID card. Instead of surrendering to police and be arrested he ran into the street. It looks like a police vehicle pulled up and blocked his escape. He made a big mistake reaching toward his gun (for what ever reason) and that mistake got him killed. As a point of interest the store he existed has a big no guns allowed sign in the window. Illinois has a complex system designed to foil anyone that wishes to carry a gun. You must first obtain a a FOID card (firearms owner ID). Once you have the FOID card you can buy a gun. You can keep the gun at home or transport it unloaded an cased to a range. To carry a gun you must attend a number of safety and hands on gun classes that you must pay for.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The area surrounding the incident is high on the list of Chicago's "criminal activity". The local business's requested that additional police be assigned to the neighborhood. So foot patrol officers assigned to serve the neighborhood observed (they're paid to observe) that the now dead mope appeared to have a gun on him, they asked him. He said he had a gun. When the police asked if he had a carry permit he said no but he had a FOID card. Instead of surrendering to police and be arrested he ran into the street. It looks like a police vehicle pulled up and blocked his escape. He made a big mistake reaching toward his gun (for what ever reason) and that mistake got him killed. As a point of interest the store he existed has a big no guns allowed sign in the window. Illinois has a complex system designed to foil anyone that wishes to carry a gun. You must first obtain a a FOID card (firearms owner ID). Once you have the FOID card you can buy a gun. You can keep the gun at home or transport it unloaded an cased to a range. To carry a gun you must attend a number of safety and hands on gun classes that you must pay for.

I get it. He was breaking Illinois law. I assumed that.

...do we like that law?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I get it. He was breaking Illinois law. I assumed that.

...do we like that law?

No, we don't like that law. We typically follow that law, but we don't like it.

I don't like that just having a gun in Indiana is a reason for the police to stop you.
    I understand that carrying a handgun without a license is against the law in Indiana.
    I have been asked to produce a license by a police officer before for carrying a handgun.
    I didn't run away while grabbing my gun.
    I am here to post this. 7-17-2018 @ 11:44 am.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I don't like that just having a gun in Indiana is a reason for the police to stop you.
    I understand that carrying a handgun without a license is against the law in Indiana.
    I have been asked to produce a license by a police officer before for carrying a handgun.
    I am here to post this. 7-7-2018 @ 11:44 am.

Time traveler.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I am here to post this. 7-7-2018 @ 11:44 am.

Carrying a gun, in and of itself, does not justify a stop in Indiana. This was established with the Pinner decision last year.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Carrying a gun, in and of itself, does not justify a stop in Indiana. This was established with the Pinner decision last year.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. It's still "against the law" to carry without a license.
    My interaction was before that.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Illinois people are moving to NWI in droves. Typically the ones that move here around me are from Chicago. Most of them are just trying to escape the bad neighborhoods. They're definitely a different breed with values I don't understand to say the least. The ones from Illinois that scare me are the people from Chicago suburbs. They've moved here from Illinois to escape housing costs and taxes in Illinois. They move into new construction south of RT30. They're all utra liberals and want to turn NWI into a Chicago suburb like the one from whence they came. I'm gonna say they didn't come here to enjoy the freedoms of a gun friendly society. Much to the contrary, they favor a gun free society.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Illinois people are moving to NWI in droves. Typically the ones that move here around me are from Chicago. Most of them are just trying to escape the bad neighborhoods. They're definitely a different breed with values I don't understand to say the least. The ones from Illinois that scare me are the people from Chicago suburbs. They've moved here from Illinois to escape housing costs and taxes in Illinois. They move into new construction south of RT30. They're all utra liberals and want to turn NWI into a Chicago suburb like the one from whence they came. I'm gonna say they didn't come here to enjoy the freedoms of a gun friendly society. Much to the contrary, they favor a gun free society.

They don't only escape from Illinois; but rather every state,city and country. DuPage county (next to Cook) used to be conservative, not any longer. Not only do people move from the city to suburbs to get away; they are also shipped and paid to move to suburbs (via subsidies). The same holds true across state borders; bringing their liberal ideologies / traditions with them (as you stated).

To further disrupt the consistent, the same holds true for countries (i.e. immigrants).

We need to build ALLOT of walls.........

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    They don't only escape from Illinois; but rather every state,city and country. DuPage county (next to Cook) used to be conservative, not any longer. Not only do people move from the city to suburbs to get away; they are also shipped and paid to move to suburbs (via subsidies). The same holds true across state borders; bringing their liberal ideologies / traditions with them (as you stated).

To further disrupt the consistent, the same holds true for countries (i.e. immigrants).

We need to build ALLOT of walls.........

I would have knocked down your wall to get back to Indiana. The oze family moved to Naperville from NW Indiana (talk about a culture shock) in 1989 to reduce my commute to work. We lived in Will County, which, along with DuPage, was solidly red at the time. Both slowly evolved to purple, and by the time we escaped, had pretty much transitioned to blue. I blame the pro-abortion soccer moms. By 2012, I had had enough, and put the state of ILL in my rear-view mirror for good. We sold our house for $165/square foot, and paid $60/square foot here in Fort Wayne. We also now pay one-sixth in property taxes as when we were FIPs. For what it's worth, Mrs. oze is an anti-Trump left-leaning "independent", my daughter is a flaming liberal (but goes to school and lives in Chicago), and my son and I are pro 2A conservatives, somewhere to the right of Ronald Reagan in our political philosophies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Lake County was already solidly Democrat long before the recent arrivals from IL.

Top Bottom