• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My impression is the police screwed up the initial contact. Too many nervous Nellies are being hired too quickly with too little training and too little seasoning ... all in the name of "putting more cops on the street." This is what you get.

In their defense, I'm guessing legal gun carriers are far from common in that neighborhood, and Chicago in general. When they see someone obviously packing, their default assumption is 'bad guy'. I was impressed how chill the first cop who is talking to him is. He seemed to have the situation under control.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Based on multiple media reports, yes. The only reason given for the initial contact was they observed he had a gun.

I too, would like to know.

Here's my two cents ... The police initiated contact because he had a gun. It appears to me on the video that he started to produce ID for the officer in front of him. While producing ID, the female officer and another officer attempt to go "hands on" from behind. His initial reaction seems legit to me ... something I would do if somebody started grabbing at me from the side.

From that point on, every action on both sides becomes debatable. Based on the video ... When did he actually draw for his weapon? I don't doubt that he was attempting to draw the gun in the end. In the initial pull-away though, was he drawing his weapon or was he checking to see if his crappy holster had fallen off or ... was he reacting to the first shot? When was the first shot fired?

There's also the fact that the man had a valid FOID card (though he did not have a valid CCW) and zero criminal record. He was making a living at a decent job (barber) in a tougher part of town (according to witnesses).

My impression is the police screwed up the initial contact. Too many nervous Nellies are being hired too quickly with too little training and too little seasoning ... all in the name of "putting more cops on the street." This is what you get.
    The story I last heard said he had a FOID, but not a carry license.

Sadly, the protesters don't understand that they need to protest the existence of the CCW law. Without that law that encounter never would have happened and that guy would still be alive.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Isn't this what they're chanting about?
    "No Justice! No Peace!"

I'm onboard, let'em have what they want...

It really is the end result of the madness.
    If the cops do “something” about crime they are told they are persecuting someone.
    If the cops do “nothing” because of the perceived persecution then that means they don’t care because _________.

Top Bottom