• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm not as crazy about CFA's chicken sandwich as many are, it is good, just not as good as it is made out to be, and am not a fan of the waffle fries at all. Both their lemonade and customer service keep me coming back though.

I'm not sure why anyone would got to a SNS when there are plenty of Freddy's locations around, now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wish CFA well, from afar. My wife and kids like it, so on the rare occasions we are all together and looking for fast food (Dad prefers any Greek family diner to any fast food), I will go there. If you love the food, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, but I've never found it very special. In fact, for fast food, I much prefer Portillos if table service isn't going to be involved.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Rumor has it Steak n Shake is in serious trouble and may not survive much longer.

I used to take the kids there a lot, but have ditched it all together. The last half dozen times we went to SnS the place was filthy, ridiculously understaffed with the meal taking over an hour. The staff that was there clearly didn't want to be, and put no effort into the job or even trying to be personable or friendly. This is not isolated to a single location either.

The last straw was hearing one of the servers loudly and openly complaining to co-workers about the "mf'ing cheapskate" who didn't leave a big enough tip. Every third word out of her mouth was a cuss word and she was cursing and complaining for more than 10 minutes right in the dining room in front of my kids (both under age 8).

I worked in the restaurant biz for close to 20 years. I would have fired her on the spot for that nonsense, but in this case there was no manager to be found so I could even let management know about our terrible experience.

We go to Culver's now when we want steak burger type food. It's more expensive but the food and experience is soooooo much better. People there are friendly and actually care about customers.

The first time I ever walked into one, I quickly left. That was some 15 -20 years ago and I've never gone back.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The one I usually hit is in the San Antonio Medical Center area, and it is normally full of customers. During the lunch period the drive-thru traffic extends completely around the building (with roving order-takers walking down the line and radioing in the orders) and out into the street, that's probably, I dunno, 50 cars? Plus the interior is SRO. People don't wait in line like that just for good service and meh food, they serve some pretty good sammiches and accoutrements. And the service is awesome. More power to them. Screw the SA city council.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The one I usually hit is in the San Antonio Medical Center area, and it is normally full of customers. During the lunch period the drive-thru traffic extends completely around the building (with roving order-takers walking down the line and radioing in the orders) and out into the street, that's probably, I dunno, 50 cars? Plus the interior is SRO. People don't wait in line like that just for good service and meh food, they serve some pretty good sammiches and accoutrements. And the service is awesome. More power to them. Screw the SA city council.

Obviously an attractant to the bad element residing in Texas!:n00b:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Rumor has it Steak n Shake is in serious trouble and may not survive much longer.

I used to take the kids there a lot, but have ditched it all together. The last half dozen times we went to SnS the place was filthy, ridiculously understaffed with the meal taking over an hour. The staff that was there clearly didn't want to be, and put no effort into the job or even trying to be personable or friendly. This is not isolated to a single location either.

The last straw was hearing one of the servers loudly and openly complaining to co-workers about the "mf'ing cheapskate" who didn't leave a big enough tip. Every third word out of her mouth was a cuss word and she was cursing and complaining for more than 10 minutes right in the dining room in front of my kids (both under age 8).

I worked in the restaurant biz for close to 20 years. I would have fired her on the spot for that nonsense, but in this case there was no manager to be found so I could even let management know about our terrible experience.

We go to Culver's now when we want steak burger type food. It's more expensive but the food and experience is soooooo much better. People there are friendly and actually care about customers.

I used to like SnS until I could almost literally see through their burger patties. I mean seriously... what are they, maybe 1 oz., smashed out paper thin to at least cover the bun bottom?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I actually had a good McD's burger the other day. Apparently they've started cooking to order the way Wendy's used to? I was in a hurry (normally I would pick Wendy's over McD's) and ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese and it was good! Hot, juicy (like Wendy's used to be), almost to the point where it was too hot to eat at first. I was impressed. And now they're offering it with bacon (haven't tried that version yet). I always get the Baconator at Wendy's, so now I have a second option.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I actually had a good McD's burger the other day. Apparently they've started cooking to order the way Wendy's used to? I was in a hurry (normally I would pick Wendy's over McD's) and ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese and it was good! Hot, juicy (like Wendy's used to be), almost to the point where it was too hot to eat at first. I was impressed. And now they're offering it with bacon (haven't tried that version yet). I always get the Baconator at Wendy's, so now I have a second option.

I've been a closet quarter pounder with cheese fan for years. the fact that they actually started cooking them fresh again is a plus! Being a formula that's very easy to follow it's difficult to mess up. I can't hang with a double though.:runaway:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    CFA is great, I have let management and corporate know.

SNS is, see above. We were at the SNS in Avon and it was so bad, I was going to let corporate know right then. While using their wifi, I went to the SNS website, it loaded, but when clicking the contact us button, it would not load. Turned of wifi and used cell data and it loads right up. Switched back and forth several times and it will not load on their wifi.
    I let them know about that also. You know you have a problem when you blacklist your own contact us form.

Avon SnS has been a mess for a while. Suppose to be taking SnS's from being company run to franchisees.....hope they do it soon. Brownsburg SnS is pretty good though....Biglari Holdings is the reason SnS suck so much anymore. SnS use to be a billion dollar a year business...they now struggle to make half that and have a $250M loan to repay soon.

I have never had Chick fil a.........although we have a fellow INGO'er who owns/runs one of them. The interesting thing about Chick fil a........the franchisee never owns their store, meaning if you own one and you retire, you are not guaranteed to keep that location in your family/people/circle.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    During my travels I have found several food joints that appear to be closing locations.

1. Joes Crabs Shack
    2. Culver’s
    3. Sonic
    4. Applebee’s
    5. IHOP

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    During my travels I have found several food joints that appear to be closing locations.

1. Joes Crabs Shack
    2. Culver’s
    3. Sonic
    4. Applebee’s
    5. IHOP

I'm surprised that your observations include Culver's; ours in Greenwood is pretty good, but I'm drawing this observation from a sample size of one. However, our Culver's experiences while traveling have been good, too.

It seems to me that SnS has been on a downhill slide for a few years. When Sardar Biglari took control of the corporation a few years ago, that might have very temporarily held off corporate death, but nature seems to again be taking its course.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I know of two culver locations in Missouri that appeared to be open less than a year might just over expansion ?

I have only had it a few times seems better than your average fast food burger.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I know of two culver locations in Missouri that appeared to be open less than a year might just over expansion ?

I have only had it a few times seems better than your average fast food burger.

You might be right on the over expansion. I also agree that it seems better than the average. Not the greatest burger, but a good, consistent go-to.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I believe that is only for the quarter Pounders and a few other select items like the bbq chicken strips. Everything else is made in batches. Or you got lucky.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm surprised that your observations include Culver's; ours in Greenwood is pretty good, but I'm drawing this observation from a sample size of one. However, our Culver's experiences while traveling have been good, too.

It seems to me that SnS has been on a downhill slide for a few years. When Sardar Biglari took control of the corporation a few years ago, that might have very temporarily held off corporate death, but nature seems to again be taking its course.

I used to love Culver's in the spring leading up to Resurrection.

They used to have a walleye meal that was awesome. The last time I ate there all they had was pasty cod for the same price.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I used to love Culver's in the spring leading up to Resurrection.

They used to have a walleye meal that was awesome. The last time I ate there all they had was pasty cod for the same price.

Probably about the same time they did away with the grilled tenderloin. Can only get breaded there now.

On the other hand, yesterday I had their bacon cheeseburger on a pretzel bun with a bit of red onion, a seasonal thing. It was quite good.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Agree on 5 guys being overrated. Wasn't bad, just wasn't all the hype, actually like Schoops better. At least the one in Crown Point.
    I loved that study about the drive thru lines about Chick Fil A too. Granted, I'd only my own stories, but I actually timed mine. Wendy's, sat for 2 songs, no movement, 6 cars ahead of me, again, no one moving. Went down the road, double line at CFA, people on the street outside waiting, parking lot was overflowing and people parked in the mall. They had employees with tablets taking orders outside in the freaking rain. Got through in less than 2 songs. Drove back by same Wendy's on the way home, car in front of me was finally at the pay window.
    Almost the same another time, although I went inside CFA. No seats, employees bringing food to tables. Line to the back of the store, and an employee giving water and snacks to those waiting in line. Yep, seriously, snacks, mainly for the kids. Looked at the watch and was still out in less than 10 minutes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's not a Chick-fil-a, but there's a lady in one of the local drive throughs who tends to call me "honey" four to eight times in the process of taking my payment. She likely thinks she is being personable, but it comes off as patronizing.
    That's a stupid response to this thread. Idiot.
    Well there's a good "Christian" response. Nice.

Preserved for posterity.

I sure hope the guy he was referring to didn't get mad and quit INGO.

Top Bottom