• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Hrhrhmmmm? (<-- Scooby Doo impersonation)

Just clicked the link in your quote into a new tab and it worked. Do you have the Beeb blocked for some reason? :D

Here's the link to the general BBC-China landing page.
    China - BBC News

Thanks, I was being lazy. I was going to go look for myself.

Within the cruiser/destroyer/frigate group you can call it whatever you want and there will be precedent. The USN is guilty of contributing to this.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The State Dept has officially declared China a Tier 3 (worst) human trafficking offender.

US Declares China Among World's Worst Human Trafficking Offenders

The report listed 22 other countries in the lowest Tier 3 category:
    Belarus, Belize, Burundi, the Central African Republic, Comoros, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Iran, North Korea, Mali, Mauritania, Russia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Venezuela.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Nothing really new here.

We sent a ship and some planes within the boundaries of what China claims as their sovereign territory. Vietnam renewed its claims to the oil resources in the area. China docked its aircraft carrier in Hong Kong.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Indeed. :)

Reminiscent of the old Cold War days, eh?

Yes, but these War College boys seem to think they are reading an article from their counterparts in China. At least two of the three officers who authored the article are political officers. As I understand it there is usually a considerable distinction between political and regular or what we might think of as tactical officers. I suggest you read the article again with that in mind. It might lead you to different conclusions.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, but these War College boys seem to think they are reading an article from their counterparts in China. At least two of the three officers who authored the article are political officers. As I understand it there is usually a considerable distinction between political and regular or what we might think of as tactical officers. I suggest you read the article again with that in mind. It might lead you to different conclusions.
    Oh, no worries there. I was particularly familiar with the Soviet system, which also used political officers.

Frankly, it is important more because it was not written by only POs. The fact (presumably) that there was an actual officer involved is what makes it intriguing.

At least at a superficial level, it is possible to deconstruct what was written for political reasons as opposed to operational. The layers of politics can be (somewhat) stripped away to reveal the functional stuff.

Namely, that China is VERY confident, operationally. It also reinforces the idea that China does not view conflicts in terms of military or economic. Rather, it is a fully integrated approach that brings all possible leverage points to bear.

For us, we cannot view China's positions on NK, Taiwan, Africa, India, etc., singularly. Instead, we should also take a comprehensive approach.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I agree. Their confidence is an important layer of the onion. Another interesting piece is that, unlike our system, their navy is a part of an subordinate to their army.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I agree. Their confidence is an important layer of the onion. Another interesting piece is that, unlike our system, their navy is a part of an subordinate to their army.

Probably true 10-15 years ago. Quite contrary now. The PLA Army had been down sized for the past 15 years, from 35 Group Corps to 17 now.

Their defence spending is very heavy on the naval vessel building and naval aviation.

They are currently building 13 ships at Jiangnan Shipyard alone. Including 2 10k ton cruisers.

c1327b8fcb76425fb82818de1c31d3cf.jpeg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Probably true 10-15 years ago. Quite contrary now. The PLA Army had been down sized for the past 15 years, from 35 Group Corps to 17 now.

Their defence spending is very heavy on the naval vessel building and naval aviation.

They are currently building 13 ships at Jiangnan Shipyard alone. Including 2 10k ton cruisers.

c1327b8fcb76425fb82818de1c31d3cf.jpeg

I also wonder how many of their ships are designed almost exclusively for a 80-100 mile voyage. Well, multiple round trips of 160-200 miles.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Doesn't it just make you want to help/allow Japan to become a Nuclear power? (on the down low, of course)
    Speaking of taking right to the edge.... ;)

Personally, no. I don't think a nuclear Japan would help matters, either strategically or financially. For the foreseeable future, I think our foreign policy (such as it is) would come to Japan's nuclear defense. So, yes, we continue to subsidize their defense (although less than we have historically).

Financially, that kind of capital weapon doesn't make sense for them or us. At least not in terms of R&D of a home grown nuke. If we really want to go down that path, let's just sell them some intermediate range tech and tactical warheads.

This is something that I'll readily concede reasonable people can differ on.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Speaking of taking right to the edge.... ;)

Personally, no. I don't think a nuclear Japan would help matters, either strategically or financially. For the foreseeable future, I think our foreign policy (such as it is) would come to Japan's nuclear defense. So, yes, we continue to subsidize their defense (although less than we have historically).

Financially, that kind of capital weapon doesn't make sense for them or us. At least not in terms of R&D of a home grown nuke. If we really want to go down that path, let's just sell them some intermediate range tech and tactical warheads.

This is something that I'll readily concede reasonable people can differ on.

That money would be better spent elsewhere. If we get to the point where tactical nukes are in play I would be very surprised. The Chinese have more clear advantages at the lower end of the tech scale and would not benefit from an escalation which might mitigate any part of that advantage.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That money would be better spent elsewhere. If we get to the point where tactical nukes are in play I would be very surprised. The Chinese have more clear advantages at the lower end of the tech scale and would not benefit from an escalation which might mitigate any part of that advantage.

I agree.

Diesel/electric boats and torpedoes are cheaper to buy, maintain, and operate. :)

And, I recall reading that the Japanese have used the advances in lithium ion batteries in subs to get extended range. That's notwithstanding the submersible drone tech options.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I agree.

Diesel/electric boats and torpedoes are cheaper to buy, maintain, and operate. :)

And, I recall reading that the Japanese have used the advances in lithium ion batteries in subs to get extended range. That's notwithstanding the submersible drone tech options.

Yeah, there are much better places for Japan to invest rather than nukes. I just hope they are.

Top Bottom