• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    My last 6 vehicle purchases have been Chrysler products.
    One was a Jeep Patriot with a water leak. That's the only one I had any issue with.

I think a lot of the frustration with newer cars is that most people can't fix the darn things when the electronics screw up.

As much as I loved my Dad's 1954 Kaiser, his many Oldsmobiles, and one Caddy in there I would never claim they were "better" cars. Much more interesting and fun. You could take them apart and put them back together without being a computer expert, but newer cars are safer and last longer.

VUPDblue, glad you got your truck working.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I just happen to work in one of those computer required GM plants and the upcoming electronics that is consumer driven is mind boggling! Our engineers (Sheldon types) definitely earn their keep!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just happen to work in one of those computer required GM plants and the upcoming electronics that is consumer driven is mind boggling! Our engineers (Sheldon types) definitely earn their keep!!

I rode in a new truck with a millennial a few weeks ago. It was an experience. He was right at home with all the high end gadgetry. 2nd nature to him. My SIL is the same way. Blue tooth this and links to that etc.

Last edited:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    2 questions: what would have happened if you had NOT done the first update?

how the heck does the truck know it needs an update?

My wife's escape is supposed to email us when it needs something. I kept asking the (clueless) tech HOW it connected to the internet to do that. Not a clue. Never has.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

My wife's escape is supposed to email us when it needs something. I kept asking the (clueless) tech HOW it connected to the internet to do that. Not a clue. Never has.

NOT doing the update is not an option. It pops up on the touchscreen asking you to input a time to do the update within the next 24 hours. If you ignore the pop-up, there is no functionality until you clear it. I don't know how it knows it needs an update, but my guess is that it's data-connected via the Uconnect software, which works the same as OnStar.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    NOT doing the update is not an option. It pops up on the touchscreen asking you to input a time to do the update within the next 24 hours. If you ignore the pop-up, there is no functionality until you clear it. I don't know how it knows it needs an update, but my guess is that it's data-connected via the Uconnect software, which works the same as OnStar.

And SkyNet became aware.........:shady:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Which car company now makes the most reliable software/hardware package?

As a used vehicle buyer, would vehicle specific forums point to the most reliable models and years?

I found CarComplaints.com useful when shopping for a used vehicle for my wife earlier this year. You can browse by brand and model and it will show you a bar graph of which model years of the model have the most reported complaints. You can then click on the model year and see the complaints listed by severity. Two caveats though, newer vehicles naturally will have fewer complaints so the usefulness depends on how old/new of a used vehicle you are looking for and you really need to look closer at the complaints as a a lot of people complain about really minor problems driving the total number of complaints up on some models.

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.

This was my thought too. I have a Jeep and had an update to the drive train to stop a noise in the transmission. The noise didn't stop but moved to a higher gear not used unless at highway speeds.

If it doesn't set the check engine light nothing is wrong was the answer.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ****Update***

I set the truck to run the update three times, 20 minutes apart. I just came inside from checking it and it works! I have no idea what the update did, but it’s functional again. Apparently all I needed to do was complain about it on INGO.

I'd keep your appointment on the books for now and maybe cancel if/when it gets closer to the date and things are still working. Of course, a sure fire way to get it to have an issue again sooner is to cancel the appointment now.

Glad you got it fixed.

Seems almost all vehicles are connected these days. My wife's vehicle that we bought last year has all the remote gadgetry and updates itself (it does some functions, like locate remotely, remote engine start from the app, etc via what I assume is some of cell connectivity, but we also have it setup to connect to home Wifi, etc when in range) where as my truck (2007) doesn't even have a map light ((pretty much the way I like it)., though it obviously has computer engine control, etc.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Lots of new cars have cellular chips in them which allows them to phone home or have home call them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is absolutely no reason that a vehicle requires a computer in it. Vehicles worked just fine without them for nearly a century. It's a money-making scam perpetrated by the auto industry and the eco-warriors. I can understand your anger VUPD!

In terms of the interfaces and luxuries available, I agree. If you're referring to the computers that control the essential functions of the vehicle, it's likely that it would cost a lot more to produce the same level of performance and reliability without the use of the electronics.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd keep your appointment on the books for now and maybe cancel if/when it gets closer to the date and things are still working. Of course, a sure fire way to get it to have an issue again sooner is to cancel the appointment now.

Glad you got it fixed.

Seems almost all vehicles are connected these days. My wife's vehicle that we bought last year has all the remote gadgetry and updates itself (it does some functions, like locate remotely, remote engine start from the app, etc via what I assume is some of cell connectivity, but we also have it setup to connect to home Wifi, etc when in range) where as my truck (2007) doesn't even have a map light ((pretty much the way I like it)., though it obviously has computer engine control, etc.

If that appointment is at 10:00, I'd call to cancel at 9:59.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In terms of the interfaces and luxuries available, I agree. If you're referring to the computers that control the essential functions of the vehicle, it's likely that it would cost a lot more to produce the same level of performance and reliability without the use of the electronics.

Yeah, CM and others convinced me that the performance wouldn't be there without them, at least not without going back to 5-6 mpg motors.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I would not buy a truck with such doodads.
    Am cool w power steering, brakes and an auto transmission.
    Coil springs is nice (SUV).

But I want manual hubs and T case.

A CD player w port for kids phone tunes is OK.
    All the chimes and lights at normal start up are infuriating.

Hell, I don't even like auto windows or keyfobs.

Just more crap to go bad at the 10 yr mark.

Top Bottom