• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    My wife's new Subaru wants to chime at you every time you approach the centerline or outside line on the road. It's virtually impossible not to approach the lines on a twisty 2 lane road. Very irritating. You can turn it off, but you have to do so every time you get in the car.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    It sounds like they fixed the fuse work-around.

This is why I buy the work truck models of everything when I get new vehicles... except my newest truck is a 2012 and it has more electronics than I'd like for a base model.

The upcoming used car market scares the heck out of me. All of these electronic features are great until they stop working and the support/parts are discontinued. And the way some of these vehicles are designed, a malfunctioning electronic can shutdown a vehicle entirely until it's fixed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife's new Subaru wants to chime at you every time you approach the centerline or outside line on the road. It's virtually impossible not to approach the lines on a twisty 2 lane road. Very irritating. You can turn it off, but you have to do so every time you get in the car.

These features are in place to keep the idiots in line. The cell phone addicts and music overlords of the roads.
    People in general are no longer attentive drivers.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The upcoming used car market scares the heck out of me. All of these electronic features are great until they stop working and the support/parts are discontinued. And the way some of these vehicles are designed, a malfunctioning electronic can shutdown a vehicle entirely until it's fixed.

Even worse will be all the vehicles that have a CVT. And, unfortunately, that list is growing.

CVTs aren't all that great when they're brand new. But you get a used car with 50k+ miles on it and there's no service records? No way. No how. No thank you.

My wife and I wrote off the Nissan Altima (after having an '06 since it was brand new and loving almost every mile) due to the CVT. We wrote off the Honda Accord due to the CVT. Honda CRV for the same reason. And even venerable Subaru. I'm not gonna own a vehicle with a CVT.

HOWEVER - once my daughter gets to driving age (8 more years. GASP), it may be a different story for a kid car.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We have an 08 Altima with a CVT that the boy child now drives. 160k on it and it runs just fine.

Honestly - you're on borrowed time with that car in general. That the '08 model has survived 160k miles is a double miracle. Seriously. That was a most definite vintage where TONS of cars had TONS of problems. Keep up with CVT fluid exchanges / maintenance!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It just got a flush/fill about a month ago, and it gets regular maintenance otherwise. Borrowed time is fine at this point because it was free to him, but the next one is all his responsibility.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It just got a flush/fill about a month ago, and it gets regular maintenance otherwise. Borrowed time is fine at this point because it was free to him, but the next one is all his responsibility.

So that means you'll have an opening for a new dependent soon? I am available and willing to help you shoot your ammo.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Assuming that VUPDblue has taught the boy car stuff like changing tires, checking fluids and how to properly wash and maintain his responsibility?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Assuming that VUPDblue has taught the boy car stuff like changing tires, checking fluids and how to properly wash and maintain his responsibility?

I need to learn that stuff too. It's going to be awesome moving into VUPDblue's house and being his son!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

My wife's van nudges the steering wheel to keep it between the lines.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    My wife's van nudges the steering wheel to keep it between the lines.

Yep, the Subee does that too, just didn't want to sound like a whiner. If we had paid a little more, the car could watch our eyeballs, and sound the alarm if we glanced out the side window. Yea, no thanks. I wish there was one button that would turn it all off permanent.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, the Subee does that too, just didn't want to sound like a whiner. If we had paid a little more, the car could watch our eyeballs, and sound the alarm if we glanced out the side window. Yea, no thanks. I wish there was one button that would turn it all off permanent.

I hate the "automatic" stuff on my Hyundai. Love the car most of the time, but if it's the least bit slick, the "automatic" parts take over and try to kill me. If I start to slide even a little bit, it locks my steering and pumps the brake pedal HARD faster than I could even move my foot, so it feels like rapid-fire sledge hammer hits to the bottom of my foot. I don't see how this promotes safety. I even got on a Hyundai owner website and they all said that "Yep, it's normal." I wish I could totally disable ABS and "traction (loss of) control".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    2001 Tundra. Built in Indiana 205,000 miles ago. Replacing a CV boot has been the biggest repair.

I've heard good things about the Tundra. A buddy of mine is a professional bass fisherman now and Toyota and Ranger Boats (and I'm sure some others) sponsored him and provided him with new trucks and boats. He said the Tundra was the best towing truck he'd ever driven. (and he had owned other brands as well)

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I keep getting phone calls telling me to take my Jeep in for airbag service. Also keep getting letters telling me to take it in for airbag recall work. Chrysler screwed it up the first time around they should come fix it. Or send me the parts and let me fix it myself.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I keep getting phone calls telling me to take my Jeep in for airbag service. Also keep getting letters telling me to take it in for airbag recall work. Chrysler screwed it up the first time around they should come fix it. Or send me the parts and let me fix it myself.
    You probably have the exploding airbags. I would take it in if I were you.

Top Bottom