• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That's one thing I don't understand. This isn't the first time they've ever put an airbag in a vehicle, so why is it so difficult to do it right the first time? It's not just Chrysler, all the car companies recall things that should be figured out by now.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That's one thing I don't understand. This isn't the first time they've ever put an airbag in a vehicle, so why is it so difficult to do it right the first time? It's not just Chrysler, all the car companies recall things that should be figured out by now.
    It wasn't put in incorrectly. It was a new design that was flawed. The flaw was covered up by the manufacturer of the airbags and possibly some of the auto manufacturers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

R&D by consumer.....:)

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Even worse will be all the vehicles that have a CVT. And, unfortunately, that list is growing.

CVTs aren't all that great when they're brand new. But you get a used car with 50k+ miles on it and there's no service records? No way. No how. No thank you.

My wife and I wrote off the Nissan Altima (after having an '06 since it was brand new and loving almost every mile) due to the CVT. We wrote off the Honda Accord due to the CVT. Honda CRV for the same reason. And even venerable Subaru. I'm not gonna own a vehicle with a CVT.

HOWEVER - once my daughter gets to driving age (8 more years. GASP), it may be a different story for a kid car.

My 2011 Lancer GTS has the CVT transmission in it and it runs just fine. I bought it with 60,000 miles and I'm over 150,000 now. I really wanted another manual like my previous Lancer, but manuals in general are getting scarce.

Now that I have the cvt, I love it. When you need/want to get going quick and stand on the throttle, then engine shoots to 6,000 rpms and stays there until you let off keeping the engine at its peak horsepower the entire time.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The upcoming used car market scares the heck out of me. All of these electronic features are great until they stop working and the support/parts are discontinued. And the way some of these vehicles are designed, a malfunctioning electronic can shutdown a vehicle entirely until it's fixed.

This is the case with our new semi trucks. The computer senses something wrong with the after treatment DEF system, the engine is created in power and limited to 35 mph.......in a one lane construction zone on a busy interstate with no pull over area for 7 miles. Yeah. I lived that. Turned out nothing was actually wrong but just a bad sensor in the emissions system.

Or the automated manual transmission senses the clutch is out of adjustment and won't put the transmission in gear.....while turning left across a busy road. So you sit there and wait for a tow truck. Clutch was fine, it just read the data wrong.

It sucks.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

In the quest to make a cheaper inflator, Takata turned to a much more volatile and unstable propellant (ammonium nitrate) from the more mature and better understood technology generally in use (sodium azide). The risk presented by absorption of moisture by the NH4NO3 was understood only at the technical chemistry level and cautions from their scientists during field testing were ignored and covered up (there were explosions during product testing prior to the commencement of large scale manufacturing). If your manufacturer is using Takata produced replacements they use the same chemical but add a dessicant to try to slow the rate of moisture absorption - a strategy that has been described as "lengthening the fuse"

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I keep getting phone calls telling me to take my Jeep in for airbag service. Also keep getting letters telling me to take it in for airbag recall work. Chrysler screwed it up the first time around they should come fix it. Or send me the parts and let me fix it myself.

No need to take it in for service, just wait until you bump into something. The airbag will deploy, sending shrapnel into your noggin due to the design flaw. This will stop them from bothering you with their annoying recalls and such. The 23 people who have been killed by this defect aren't having to deal with this recall nonsense anymore.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The majority of the time it is the monitoring system (sensors, wiring, computer) that is at fault and not the component being monitored.

Top Bottom