Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Civility is an interesting thing to liberals. They can malign belief, because it is silly. However to address their unbelief is uncivil.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I especially liked the wheel of fortune reference.

Tell me Those who read modern translations do they use LORD to signify YHWD, GOD to signify Elohim and do they italicize words that are inserted for English syntax?

The ESV (which I have started reading, I really like how they did the OT), does the LORD method. The ESV is also more of a build on the KJV rather than an original translation.

http://baptistbulletin.org/the-baptist-bulletin-magazine/can-we-trust-the-esv-bible-translation/

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I appreciate the input, But I will stick with the KJB it has never let me down.

Years ago when I was a young Christian I read a different interpretation and concluded that a word for word translation is superior, especially when it indicates every word supplied foe English understanding or syntax.

Please, do not presume that I consider myself a mature Christian I've only been saved about 40 years. Talk to me in fifty years when we are gathered around the throne.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I appreciate the input, But I will stick with the KJB it has never let me down.

Years ago when I was a young Christian I read a different interpretation and concluded that a word for word translation is superior, especially when it indicates every word supplied foe English understanding or syntax.

Please, do not presume that I consider myself a mature Christian I've only been saved about 40 years. Talk to me in fifty years when we are gathered around the throne.

Do you use the original KJV/KJB of 1611 with Apocrypha or the more recent 1769 without the Apocrypha?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There are plenty of good books to read. That doesn't make them Holy Scripture

Ok.

Why did you respond to my question with that statement? I am not seeing the relevancy.

Your statement does seem to imply a way to tell what does make a book Holy Scripture. If that is the case, what makes a book Holy Scripture?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Why not the Latin Vulgate of 405? :-)

His statement didn't address the Vulgate. It simply stated what he reads but KJB/KJV by itself is ambiguous because there isn't just one so I limited myself to his choices.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That answers the 2nd question but not the 1st.

Even Martin Luther knew they weren't scripture way back then. I've never read them, but I've heard good things about them as far as them saying good things that can be applied to your life, but they're not part of the inherent, inspired Word of God.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Even Martin Luther knew they weren't scripture way back then. I've never read them, but I've heard good things about them as far as them saying good things that can be applied to your life, but they're not part of the inherent, inspired Word of God.

Ok I understand where you were coming from now. It was a reference to the Apocrypha books which were included in the original KJB. Thanks for the clarification.

So by the criteria of apostolic authority. When was the list of books that qualify to be Holy Scripture first made known? When were they first "published" or collected all together in one volume?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Ok I understand where you were coming from now. It was a reference to the Apocrypha books which were included in the original KJB. Thanks for the clarification.

So by the criteria of apostolic authority. When was the list of books that qualify to be Holy Scripture first made known? When were they first "published" or collected all together in one volume?

Are these genuine questions or are you trying to get to a "gotcha" moment? And I mean that in the most genuine way. I enjoy these discussions and everyone's input.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2016
    mishawka
    i'm a christian and i feel that there could be other life out there.even if there is other life out there it would have been created by GOD. the whole universe is made up of galaxies and ours the milky way is one of about 3 trillion. in the milky way you have solar systems like our,the sun and planets. and our solar system is one of about 50 million. so there is the chance that there is life out there some where. it's like where there are those who deny the native american oral history of a white man with a beard that visited them in time before. these oral histories even go go into central and south america. this is just my thinking on it. GOD created man,but he could have also created life anywhere else

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Civility is an interesting thing to liberals. They can malign belief, because it is silly. However to address their unbelief is uncivil.

"Addressing their unbelief" is an interesting thing to Christians.

Raving on the streetcorner, Internet, and local television that people like me are everything that is wrong with America isn't a position founded in respect for one's fellow man. Respect is the foundation of civility. Defacing our billboards and monuments, intimidating and ostracizing our children...these are not behaviors that inform us of your civil intentions.

You want civil discussion? That's what I want, too...but why should I engage sincerely when your opening salvo is strawmen and snark?

I mean...I assume you were writing this to me...I am the only openly liberal atheist on this forum.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "Addressing their unbelief" is an interesting thing to Christians.

Raving on the streetcorner, Internet, and local television that people like me are everything that is wrong with America isn't a position founded in respect for one's fellow man. Respect is the foundation of civility. Defacing our billboards and monuments, intimidating and ostracizing our children...these are not behaviors that inform us of your civil intentions.

You want civil discussion? That's what I want, too...but why should I engage sincerely when your opening salvo is strawmen and snark?

I mean...I assume you were writing this to me...I am the only openly liberal atheist on this forum.

I really don't care how you define yourself, personally, but atheism is simply an indefensible faith.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Off-topic and mostly out of curiosity - Is there one big issue that you side with enough to consider yourself "liberal", or are you pretty much liberal on most stances (except guns, I assume)?

I've never noticed you discuss it much, just curious. I have a couple liberal stances... but my "hands off" issues being 1A and 2A (mostly Constitution-related stuff) make me typically label myself Conservative (or probably Libertarian-ish after this year.) I guess Constitutionalist is pretty accurate.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I personally use the Cambridge text which is the seventh edition, I believe that is the 1769 edition. My current bible is a Local Church Publishers edition. No apocrypha.

Thomas Nelson reverted to the sixth edition back in the 90's and we had to switch to giving World bibles in school when kids became free readers, because there are major differences. That is a joke they were very minor the 2d through 7th editions were limited to spelling corrections and consistency. The problem we had was in memorization kids committed heresy like saying upon instead of on and things like that.

Nenson then published the NKJV and called it the eighth edition.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Raving on the streetcorner, Internet, and local television that people like me are everything that is wrong with America isn't a position founded in respect for one's fellow man.

I think Christians are what's wrong with America. Sinners are going to act like....wait for it....sinners. I'm always amazed ar Christians that have no patience with people who aren't saved. Of course they're going to act like the world! Duh!! Biblically, we are to be light. Of course America will get darker if the light doesn't shine as bright. It's not anybody's fault but believers.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I really don't care how you define yourself, personally, but atheism is simply an indefensible faith.

Atheism isn't a faith. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods.

I'm only a little more atheist than you. You and I agree that man has created thousands of gods over the years. I include one more on that list that you do...yours.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom