CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes but I was under the impression churches has extra benefits 501s didn't, I could be wrong, I'd be interested to know

Having been involved in starting two different churches and one failure-to-launch 501(c)3 ministry, I was able to see no practical difference so far as law and tax exemption are concerned.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    [VIDEO] 7th-grader says Texas teacher FORCED students to deny God is real or get a failing grade

From Lizzy Finnegan on Escapist:

It appears both parties have different stances on what happened, notably myth vs commonplace assertion, and whether this was graded or not. I hold firm that any assignment regarding the existence of god, regardless of the teacher's stance, has no place in a secular school. This is a matter of teaching belief as fact. Children are supposed to learn, and be taught *how* to think. Not *what* to believe in.

Last edited:

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    Does truth matter?

I always thought the religion threads belong, and were going to be created, as a separate forum under the General Interest. Forum » General Interest » Religion. That way, all of these thread title prefixes "CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION" could be dispensed with.

What could I discuss about religion generally?…

How about the position some religionists take that without religion (specificly their religion) there can be no true morality, that morality requires an absolute standard to be useful, otherwise no one's moral compass can possibly point to "true north".

In response to that proposition, I always question why should we use your religion's moral laws, as opposed to some other religion's moral laws?

Second, I reject the whole premise that only religious morality can carry the imprimatur of absolute right and wrong. Raw, unadulterated human reason is entirely capable of crafting a set of moral laws with every bit the authority of religiously based moral laws, and in fact look very much the same as large swaths of various religious moral laws, all while having a rational basis to back them up, which is, in my humble opinion, a basis superior to "Because our god said so."

There is so much wrong here that I hardly know where to begin. Raw, unadulterated human reason gave us mass extermination of people after the election of Hitler. Today we have Planned Parenthood selling parts from some of the black lives that apparently don't matter. Yeah, human reason has done really well. What if that reason says, "Follow Mohammad." Is that reason even though Islam is a totalitarian political system that is only wrapped in a veneer of religion?
    Human reason has produced one disaster after another. The human heart is selfish and wicked beyond what you can even imagine!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I heard that on the drive in this morning.

Welcome to the post-Christian era. Long live naturalism.

I believe the Apostle Paul beat you in posting this by a couple thousand years:

God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness
    18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality,[c] wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving,[d] unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    So proud of my fellow millennials. The generation that grew up with all of human knowledge at their fingertips is coming to different conclusions than the generations who came before us.

;)

Yes, THAT'S what millenials are doing on the internet. Learning and drawing their own, unbiased and reasoned conclusions.

Hi, I'm the internet. You must be new here.

fd-ik-20.jpg

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ;)

Yes, THAT'S what millenials are doing on the internet. Learning and drawing their own, unbiased and reasoned conclusions.

Hi, I'm the internet. You must be new here.

fd-ik-20.jpg

Hah well we're doing better than the baby boomers. My grandparents are kind enough to forward me all of the "which officials in Obama's white house are secretly Muslim" emails.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ch they get from.....the Internet

Hah well we're doing better than the baby boomers. My grandparents are kind enough to forward me all of the "which officials in Obama's white house are secretly Muslim" emails.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Frankly, the only thing that might matter less to me that where they put their hand is what comes out their mouth. Politicians' should let their actions speak and be known for the fruits of their labors.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Seems right doesn't it?

Whoever thought it was a good idea to swear on a Bible had obviously not read one.

"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.' But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil." (Matthew 5:33-37)

"But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation." (James 5:12)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Whoever thought it was a good idea to swear on a Bible had obviously not read one.

"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.' But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil." (Matthew 5:33-37)

"But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation." (James 5:12)

I have come to that same conclusion awhile back also.

Top Bottom