• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    That is a really sharp looking El Camino. And that's what I'm looking to get out of it. I want to feel the sense of pride in knowing that I put that car together. I know it'll take probably a couple of years to get the thing together and running, but I've got the time for it.

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    This is our 64. Frame off. All after market suspension. Super charged BB Chev.
    xksIL9f.jpg

It was pretty quick.
    haGaapi.jpg

You can see the huge sway bar under the back. Car handled extremely well.
    IOOFVdm.jpg

Thats a really good looking ride. I can't tell exactly, but is that a Chevelle Malibu SS?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thats a really good looking ride. I can't tell exactly, but is that a Chevelle Malibu SS?

1964 C Malibu. True SS car.

Brought it home from New Mexico. All original with 80K on the clock. #1 rod hanging out of the block. My son a few friends and I hung it on the rotis. And went crazy on it. Everything was powder coated the grey you see under the hood. Chassis suspension....everything. What was not Re-chromed was new.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These threads cost me money.

I have actually come to realize I am done with this as to building myself something.

This was mine up to a year ago when I figured this out. I sold it back to the guy I bought it from and he paid me to build the drive train for it. Now he wants new under pinning's. The wheels were on it. Ugh.
    VWc3J7O.jpg

This is the engine. .060 over 350 with a stroker crank. Big balls here.
    11TDE7x.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Go West young man!

A car from the south west will save you untold amounts of money on rust repair. If you look at the oddball cars you can find some gems Torino’s, Cutlass’s, Skylarks, AMC stuff forget MOPAR even a Dart or Duster draw big $$.
    Look for the most original car you can find body and frame condition along with small parts that cannot be reproduced. Motor, trans, rearend, are easy to replace compared to finding a small part.

Avoid “basket cases”

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Go West young man!

A car from the south west will save you untold amounts of money on rust repair. If you look at the oddball cars you can find some gems Torino’s, Cutlass’s, Skylarks, AMC stuff forget MOPAR even a Dart or Duster draw big $$.
    Look for the most original car you can find body and frame condition along with small parts that cannot be reproduced. Motor, trans, rearend, are easy to replace compared to finding a small part.

Avoid “basket cases”

Yes. Avoid something others have taken apart.
    They will swear everything is in that pile of parts.
    You will find they are wrong.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I bought a numbers matching 65 mustang with a 289 + c4 back in fall 2018, great bodywork with no exterior rust, no idea how many actual miles but she runs pretty smooth. I picked her up in Greenwood for $8500 and have since spent another $3000 tinkering. Tires had dry rot so you have a good idea of condition lol. Redid the interior myself, and have been working my way through it piece by piece, shocks / sway bar, ignition switch / starter solenoid / battery / alternator. Next up this spring will be headers / exhaust & probably an aluminum radiator. Working on the car while frustrating at times is truly rewarding and lets you appreciate the "analog" age of cars. Take a look at https://bringatrailer.com/ to get an idea of what cars are worth nationally. The beautiful thing about boomers getting old... there is always new supply and most other millennials have no interest in hot rods. For reference, I am 33 and have ZERO mechanical experience.

Mustang.jpg

Hey all. It's been a little while since I've posted anything on INGO, but I am looking into picking up a new hobby. I am looking for a car to fix up. I am interested in the 50's and 60's era of muscle cars, but I am also looking at that era because of the simplicity of the vehicles. I'm no mechanic, but I want to learn more about vehicles. I am in no means going to fully restore an old car back to factory, but I would rather just build it into what I want it to be. I had been looking at the 2nd gen chargers but can't find any without making a long trip out of it. And I've also been looking at the early 70's mustangs but haven't found much either. Anyone that has done this type of thing, is there anywhere in particular you search to try and find a good car to fix up or is it just luck of the draw? Also, is there any advice you would give to someone new at this? I've been searching all of the online car sites, but they only have fully restored cars for $40k or more. I'm fine with it not having an engine or transmission as I want this to be a learning experience and I am fully prepared to struggle with it. My biggest worry is gonna be major body rust or frame damage as I know that is gonna be a big price to fix. Thanks for any tips anyone can give me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The beautiful thing about boomers getting old... there is always new supply and most other millennials have no interest in hot rods. For reference, I am 33 and have ZERO mechanical experience.

Yeah, I'm a boomer at the younger end of the scale (60). I keep hoping that the market will drop due to less demand since boomers are starting to hang up spending money on these kind of pursuits.

Then maybe I can score what I want at a price I am willing to pay.:)

But I also know, that it may be too late for me. Which I am okay with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a numbers matching 65 mustang with a 289 + c4 back in fall 2018, great bodywork with no exterior rust, no idea how many actual miles but she runs pretty smooth. I picked her up in Greenwood for $8500 and have since spent another $3000 tinkering. Tires had dry rot so you have a good idea of condition lol. Redid the interior myself, and have been working my way through it piece by piece, shocks / sway bar, ignition switch / starter solenoid / battery / alternator. Next up this spring will be headers / exhaust & probably an aluminum radiator. Working on the car while frustrating at times is truly rewarding and lets you appreciate the "analog" age of cars. Take a look at https://bringatrailer.com/ to get an idea of what cars are worth nationally. The beautiful thing about boomers getting old... there is always new supply and most other millennials have no interest in hot rods. For reference, I am 33 and have ZERO mechanical experience.

View attachment 84612

OK I like this one.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    For Mustangs the market really bottomed out, but for the less common hot rods they still have room to come down. Unfortunately for your search, fed cut rates another half a percent today, more reasons for guys to HELOC aka less need for cash or more cash for toys! Have you considered any non-classic hot rods? C5 Corvettes are an absolute bargain considering the performance, (decent) reliability & looks, tons of low mileage boomer garage queens that always hit the market right around the $10K mark.

Yeah, I'm a boomer at the younger end of the scale (60). I keep hoping that the market will drop due to less demand since boomers are starting to hang up spending money on these kind of pursuits.

Then maybe I can score what I want at a price I am willing to pay.:)

But I also know, that it may be too late for me. Which I am okay with.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For Mustangs the market really bottomed out, but for the less common hot rods they still have room to come down. Unfortunately for your search, fed cut rates another half a percent today, more reasons for guys to HELOC aka less need for cash or more cash for toys! Have you considered any non-classic hot rods? C5 Corvettes are an absolute bargain considering the performance, (decent) reliability & looks, tons of low mileage boomer garage queens that always hit the market right around the $10K mark.

I have thought about lessor desired cars as a base to work with. Skylarks vs a GS for instance. I like Vette's okay, but probably wouldn't go that route unless I scored an older one (say a '59, the year I was born).

But I tend to be a GM person and as I look at other cars, the thought keeps coming back into my head; "if I'm going to do this at all, I may as well get what I really want instead of letting the dollar dictate what I can afford.

See the dilemma I'm in?:):

I would also consider a truck. Could have a hot rod and still make trip to the home improvement store. Hence my comment up thread about a El Camino. Had a friend who owned a '70 SS 454 El Camino. It was nice. Could hook up, but nice nonetheless.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have thought about lessor desired cars as a base to work with. Skylarks vs a GS for instance. I like Vette's okay, but probably wouldn't go that route unless I scored an older one (say a '59, the year I was born).

But I tend to be a GM person and as I look at other cars, the thought keeps coming back into my head; "if I'm going to do this at all, I may as well get what I really want instead of letting the dollar dictate what I can afford.

I would also consider a truck. Could have a hot rod and still make trip to the home improvement store. Hence my comment up thread about a El Camino. Had a friend who owned a '70 SS 454 El Camino. It was nice. Could hook up, but nice nonetheless.

Since you mentioned a truck (putting flame suit on) a nice mid 90's C1500 shortbed would make a sweet ride. Lots of cool go fast goodies, AC, Cruise, PS, PB, Etc. Etc. Etc. Drop it down a couple of inches, nice wheels and tires, good exhaust and then drive it like that until you score a sweet deal on an LS swap and don't look back!

The ex had one I tried to buy back about a week to late from the guy that wrecked it two owners later.

Almost identical to hers and available in Flint.

00505_6oUYsoQQgnv_1200x900.jpg

This one's in Augusta

00D0D_eM9XCq1xIQa_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Completely understand your love for GM, my dream car is a properly restomodded 67-69 Camaro, preferably with an LS swap. To this day there has never been another production car I like more than the first gen Camaro! Not sure if you're into C2's as much as C1's but this auction is live! https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-chevrolet-corvette-25/

Truck is certainly the most practical & anything with a 454 is going to put a huge grin on your face every time you're in front at a red light!

Top Bottom