• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This I could get behind! It has a 502 motor and is currently at $6k on BAT.

1979_gmc_12_ton_2wd_shortbed_stepside_15829063316f0c87d1IMG_0655-940x627.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Looking at a 1973 dodge polara 4 door with the 400 for $5500. Wish I could sell my bike first to have some easy cash.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hey all. It's been a little while since I've posted anything on INGO, but I am looking into picking up a new hobby. I am looking for a car to fix up. I am interested in the 50's and 60's era of muscle cars, but I am also looking at that era because of the simplicity of the vehicles. I'm no mechanic, but I want to learn more about vehicles. I am in no means going to fully restore an old car back to factory, but I would rather just build it into what I want it to be. I had been looking at the 2nd gen chargers but can't find any without making a long trip out of it. And I've also been looking at the early 70's mustangs but haven't found much either. Anyone that has done this type of thing, is there anywhere in particular you search to try and find a good car to fix up or is it just luck of the draw? Also, is there any advice you would give to someone new at this? I've been searching all of the online car sites, but they only have fully restored cars for $40k or more. I'm fine with it not having an engine or transmission as I want this to be a learning experience and I am fully prepared to struggle with it. My biggest worry is gonna be major body rust or frame damage as I know that is gonna be a big price to fix. Thanks for any tips anyone can give me.

Nothing wrong with 2 gen. Chargers, one of the best looking cars of the era. I finished up this one a few years back. Best advice is once you get started on a car find the internet group that follows it. I don't know how I would have finished mine without all that info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I found this car sitting in a package store lot with a for sale sign in DelMar California in about 1986. It was hit hard in the passenger rear quarter and was running on 4 Cylinders. The interior was good and being a Cali car it was near rust free. $300.00. I bought it.
    We were there for the last race of the season in IMSA GTP and planned to stay a couple of days after the truck was loaded and look around then fly home. I spent those couple of days getting the tired 282 to run solid on 7 holes. #8 was dead. 0 compression. Changed the oil/trans fluid. Adjusted the brakes and took off for home in it. That was the absolute longest road trip of my life. Coming down the back side of the rockies it lost 2 and was running on 5 the rest of the way. I was scared to shut it off. Man what a journey.

I cut the quarter out and put a better one in that we cut out of one in the yard. Just not a lot of after market then.
    Pulled the 350 out of the corner and freshened it up with a T-350. This was done entirely in my little shop and driveway. Painted at a friends body shop. I did most all of the work with help when I needed it.

I did not get the body line on the door exactly right but I blame Budweiser for that error. This car lives in Colorado now.

That is my now 35 year old daughter and the mother of the terrorists (See Avatar)
    OHcpPqt.jpg

That's the original Cali Front plate.

tVOnrNJ.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I found this car sitting in a package store lot with a for sale sign in DelMar California in about 1986. It was hit hard in the passenger rear quarter and was running on 4 Cylinders. The interior was good and being a Cali car it was near rust free. $300.00. I bought it.
    We were there for the last race of the season in IMSA GTP and planned to stay a couple of days after the truck was loaded and look around then fly home. I spent those couple of days getting the tired 282 to run solid on 7 holes. #8 was dead. 0 compression. Changed the oil/trans fluid. Adjusted the brakes and took off for home in it. That was the absolute longest road trip of my life. Coming down the back side of the rockies it lost 2 and was running on 5 the rest of the way. I was scared to shut it off. Man what a journey.

I cut the quarter out and put a better one in that we cut out of one in the yard. Just not a lot of after market then.
    Pulled the 350 out of the corner and freshened it up with a T-350. This was done entirely in my little shop and driveway. Painted at a friends body shop. I did most all of the work with help when I needed it.

I did not get the body line on the door exactly right but I blame Budweiser for that error. This car lives in Colorado now.

That is my now 35 year old daughter and the mother of the terrorists (See Avatar)

I always liked the 67's. Nice lines.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not a hot rod by a long shot, but I would love to find my first car - a 1960 Olds 98. It was my dad's boss's old "work" car (head of Marion County Health Dept) and it had every option on it - power windows, power seats, power steering, power breaks, power antenna, and even the "Wonder Bar" on the AM (tube) radio. Man I miss that car. Sounded like a bank vault when you'd close the doors. And that Wonder Bar also had a switch on the floor next to the dimmer switch. I had a lot of fun punking people by just pointing my finger at the radio and hitting the switch on the floor and having the radio scan to the next strongest station. Of course they wouldn't be paying attention to my foot, so they'd sit there waving their hands in front of the radio trying to make it change stations. :):

Only had 30K miles on it in 1976 when Dad bought it. It had been sitting for 5 years, so Dad had to pour diesel into the cylinders to get it freed up. Would really be cool to restore back to "showroom new".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How to build a car worth about $40,000.

Step 1: Get $100,000.

Not really. If you pay a shop then yes you will get hosed.
    If you do the work yourself it is not so bad.
    Having a circle of friends in this addiction does tend to help juts like having a gun addiction.

"AND"......if you are doing this to break even then you need to be doing something else. This is a labor of love. An achievement based endeavor. I always found great personal rewards when I took something like this...…

GRXwVWm.jpg

And spent the time and energy to make it live again. Its in primer here but paint was soon to come. Tow rig for the race car trailer.
    zcPdQBL.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

OHcpPqt.jpg

tVOnrNJ.jpg
    You must be a B-body fan.:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not a hot rod by a long shot, but I would love to find my first car - a 1960 Olds 98. It was my dad's boss's old "work" car (head of Marion County Health Dept) and it had every option on it - power windows, power seats, power steering, power breaks, power antenna, and even the "Wonder Bar" on the AM (tube) radio. Man I miss that car. Sounded like a bank vault when you'd close the doors. And that Wonder Bar also had a switch on the floor next to the dimmer switch. I had a lot of fun punking people by just pointing my finger at the radio and hitting the switch on the floor and having the radio scan to the next strongest station. Of course they wouldn't be paying attention to my foot, so they'd sit there waving their hands in front of the radio trying to make it change stations. :):

Only had 30K miles on it in 1976 when Dad bought it. It had been sitting for 5 years, so Dad had to pour diesel into the cylinders to get it freed up. Would really be cool to restore back to "showroom new".
    :)

My first car was a 64 Cutlass with a 330. It was pretty cool. Black with Crager SS wheels. I had better after that, but it was fun. You could really wind it out in first gear. Of course there was only 2 speeds.:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :)

My first car was a 64 Cutlass with a 330. It was pretty cool. Black with Crager SS wheels. I had better after that, but it was fun. You could really wind it out in first gear. Of course there was only 2 speeds.:)

This one had the 394 "Rocket" motor. It was all original white paint when dad got it. He had an Earl Scheib sky blue paint job put on the bottom (left the roof white). I have no idea why. :n00b:

ETA: I did do some customization. I got an FM converter (fit in the glove box) and an 8 track player (under dash mount) and some Jensen rear deck speakers. :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This one had the 394 "Rocket" motor. It was all original white paint when dad got it. He had an Earl Scheib sky blue paint job put on the bottom (left the roof white). I have no idea why. :n00b:

ETA: I did do some customization. I got an FM converter (fit in the glove box) and an 8 track player (under dash mount) and some Jensen rear deck speakers. :rockwoot:

Classic stuff man.....classic stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, you have had and built some cool stuff. Love it! Love people that can do it.

I wish I had logged all the hours we spent in the shop. It was my drug of choice. Granted we should have owned stock in Budweiser.
    Things change with time. We still do the occasional engine for a Harley or a Chevy. But mainly gun projects on the bench and we build/fabricate HVAC projects now.
    I do miss it though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom