• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Most people don’t know that few tires are “full feature” tires, meaning that th features that feel so awesome leaving the tire shop are only present for a short time or mileage. I have often explained it this way, the first 10k or so are the awesome feel, then using compounding the got to get the mileage guarantee compound is what you get.

I have been told that Michelin is the only tire that has the same compound and tire cuts from new to the wear bars. Not sure if that is true but I love me some Michelins…
    I run my Extreme Contact DWSs right down to the limit on a tread depth gauge. The only fall off is wet traction as the siping depth declines and that only a bit towards the end. The compound probably would run better worn down to slicks in the dry. The tradeoff for that is, even with careful pressure maintainance and regular rotation, they're good for about 32000 on the WRX - and that's doing zero burnouts or stupid flashy **** like that

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm afraid I don't drive enough anymore to get a good opinion on tire wear. I always use Summer and Winter tires though, neither of which are known for their longevity. 20-30K was about it for the Summer tires. The Winter tires generally made it the 3-4 years I would have a car. I'll see what the wear is on the Winter is in the next week, once I get them swapped.

I'll never get tires based upon wear life. I always look for the best performance for the season. I want my Summer tires sticky when dry and when it is wet, and obviously Winter tires for the cold/snow/ice.
    I go with 'ultra high performance' (in TireRack speak) essentially three season tires that have acceptable traction in snow, in my case my car likes Continental Extreme Contact DWSs. Car is on rails in the dry, on the freeway 85 is no different than 55 in heavy rain, you can push hard on wet roads if you know how to drive and I can get around fine the 6 or 7 times per year that Columbus has measurable snow. As a retiree, it takes me 4 years to put 32k on a set as we don't take the WRX on long trips anyway

Only downside will be the next set will be a little bit different, now called Extreme Contact DWS 06 Pluses. Hoping changes are minor, those that already have them and have given early feedback seem to like them but I hate it when companies change what works for no easily discernible reason

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I go with 'ultra high performance' (in TireRack speak) essentially three season tires that have acceptable traction in snow, in my case my car likes Continental Extreme Contact DWSs. Car is on rails in the dry, on the freeway 85 is no different than 55 in heavy rain, you can push hard on wet roads if you know how to drive and I can get around fine the 6 or 7 times per year that Columbus has measurable snow. As a retiree, it takes me 4 years to put 32k on a set as we don't take the WRX on long trips anyway

Only downside will be the next set will be a little bit different, now called Extreme Contact DWS 06 Pluses. Hoping changes are minor, those that already have them and have given early feedback seem to like them but I hate it when companies change what works for no easily discernible reason
    I had their Summer tires on my Golf and really liked them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

These two stories were published on the same day a few weeks ago

Cardinal Pritchard
    · Apr 15, 2024 · NottheBee.com

and then

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

These two stories were published on the same day a few weeks ago

Cardinal Pritchard
    · Apr 15, 2024 · NottheBee.com

and then

Just a note...

Scientists have said for decades that the earth is slowing down... due to the moon.

Top Bottom