Cold Weather Gear? (shooting or otherwise)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With the cold and snow now upon us, I'm looking for some recommendations on cold-weather gear.

The purpose of this gear would be too keep me warm during various activities-- from trips to the range, trips to the grocery store, to full on hiking through the snow.

I also have a few requirements.

The gear must be as lightweight and unbulky as possible-- big puffy coats are obviously warm, but I'm not a fan of them. Same goes for socks and gloves.

It must also be on the inexpensive or "medium" range of the price scale-- TAD gear might be awesome, and it might fit my requirements, but I don't wear cold gear long enough or frequently enough that I can justify premium prices.

Extra points will be awarded if your suggestion makes me look like an Operator. :D:laugh:

Some pieces that I'm specifically interested in:

• Jacket/coat
    • Socks
    • Gloves
    • Base layers
    • Boots/shoes
    • Hat

So, what pieces of cold gear have you guys had success with?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Under Armor Cold Gear... I used it at the Low Light class and it worked pretty well.

Plus BWFrame uses it, so you'd at least dress like an operator :D

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i use mechanix gloves. very tight and thin but also decently warm in cooler temps...like 30 and above. the fast fit ones are the ones i have

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    What items, specifically?

oh, you wanted details? :D

The turtle neck base and the leggings. I was comfortable and even had ripped jeans on over the top. However I think the steel toed boots were a bad idea even with the carhart insulated socks.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    • Jacket/coat - Carhartt, or Columbia, polartec fleeces
    • Socks - UnderArmour Heat gear and Cold Gear
    • Gloves - Seirus Fleece Gloves in Extreme Cold Weather with UA Glove Liners
    • Base layers - UA Cold Gear with Polartec Silk Weights under during extremes
    • Boots/shoes - Danners, Rockies, or Pack boots (can not remember the name will check later...)
    • Hat. Polartec fleece with a seirus fleece balacava with a UA Cold Gear Hood

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The most important thing to remember when dealing with extreme temps either heat or cold is the phrase Cotton kills...

Avoid using Cotton clothing can do wonders for your layering warmth and body temp regulation...

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Layers baby!!!

Base layer either a lightweight silk based layer to help wick sweat or standard thermals.

Regular jeans and a long sleeve Henley for my standard layer.

Next.

Hooded zip-up

Next.

I work outside so I know this works.

Carhartt insulated bibs and engineers jacket.

Also keep with me a Balaclava.

All the Carhartt gear is available in black too so you can look Tacti-cool too.

A little secret...

Women's Pantyhose will also help to keep your body heat in as a bade layer.

Sportsman's Guide has a very nice Silk set that I have.
    Men's China Silk Top, Men's Clothing, Guide Gear, Mens China Silk Top at Sportsman's Guide

vthokie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Keeping your head, hands and feet from getting cold are the toughest. Thinsulate and goretex in your hat gloves and boots.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have a large mix of things depending on the activity.

I place more weight on being dry and blocking wind than on insulation. I like integral hoods. When I am active outdoors I sweat like crazy, I need to unzip and vent or I will cook. I like waterproof breathable shells that I can add base layers to depending on the task. Columbia Fleeces to wool sweaters, as insulating layers.

Generic poly long underwear works for me.

Gloves, I use $15 wool ones with the flip back mitten for hunting and rucking. I like soft leather around camp for added protection from fire/firewood gathering. Mechanix at the range.

Socks, any of the Wool-Spandex smart wool types work for me. Thin poly base layer first.

Boots, I have some 800 gram Pac boots forget the name, work good for hunting, for rucking I have a variety of summer/fall boots Lowes are my fav, but nothing insulated for winter. Looking for some. The insole is key. The cold creeps right through it. Add a better insole if needed.

Hats, gortex baseball hat to keep the rain off. Polarfleece caps/baclavas.

Pants, I have some waterproof camo pants that ok, but need a thick base or you feel like you are wearing cold metal.

Thats all I have for now.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    UA Cold Gear leggings for sure. I've got a couple pairs and they work great. I've got a cheaper mock turtle neck that is similar to UA Cold Gear and it doesn't work at all. The extra $20 is worth it. Recently picked up some UA gloves and a hat. The hat will make me sweat if I wear it above 35-40 degrees. Socks, I just use whatever I have and haven't really had a problem(I can't stand having my feet too hot). I need some new boots.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    The base layer is where I find the most warmth and it is obviously the least restrictive on your movement. As of late, I've been wearing the REI Polartec long underwear...it comes in three different weights: light, medium and heavy.

Before wearing the REI base layer gear, I wore Mizuno thermal layers.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So it looks like base layers are something that are important, especially when I'm trying to keep the bulk down. This is one area that I've never explored, so these posts are VERY helpful.

Is it better to have something loose, or tight to the skin?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    if there is anything I'm anal about it's clothing(just ask my wife). like others have said it's all about layers, and it IS important to get nicer higher end garments the trick is you don't need to pay high end prices. I have let this little secret out before and I will again T.J. MAXX! most of my high end clothing comes from them. my standard winter system is marmot and/or north face base layers(between $10-$15) just a t-shirt jeans, then nice wool socks. right now I'm really liking darn tough socks http://darntough.com/ they cost me $10. $5 for a bula polartec fleece hat. now IMO the two most important articles of clothing that you should NEVER skimp on, coats and shoes/boots. for christ sake make sure you get waterproof! there are only a few real players in this game gore-tex and eVent are the best. columbias omnitech and north faces hyvent are also really good. you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get these now days just shop around(T.J maxx and outlet stores). right now I'm wearing a mountain hardwear waterproof sofshell that I bought for $49.50 vs. $165 retail.

boots are the one place you should prepared to spend some money if you want performance that will last, but the nice thing is criteria is pretty simple, waterproof and insulated everything past that is fit and feel. 200 grams of insulation is sufficient for most everybody, the higher up you go in insulation the bulkier you get sacrificing mobility. mostly I wear my lowa desert zephyr gore-tex boots. for days I will be really out in the cold I have bates footwear tora bora boots. 200 grams in insulation and made specifically for special forces in the mountains, enough said. as you can see I'm very opinionated about my choices and for good reason if you have any ?'s don't hesitate to ask you know I'll tell you straight.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Ski-Doo jackets are VERY awesome! You can get brand new ones from a couple model years ago for around $80. Their boots and gloves are great too, but they're huge.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    if there is anything I'm anal about it's clothing(just ask my wife). like others have said it's all about layers, and it IS important to get nicer higher end garments the trick is you don't need to pay high end prices. I have let this little secret out before and I will again T.J. MAXX! most of my high end clothing comes from them. my standard winter system is marmot and/or north face base layers(between $10-$15) just a t-shirt jeans, then nice wool socks. right now I'm really liking darn tough socks http://darntough.com/ they cost me $10. $5 for a bula polartec fleece hat. now IMO the two most important articles of clothing that you should NEVER skimp on, coats and shoes/boots. for christ sake make sure you get waterproof! there are only a few real players in this game gore-tex and eVent are the best. columbias omnitech and north faces hyvent are also really good. you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get these now days just shop around(T.J maxx and outlet stores). right now I'm wearing a mountain hardwear waterproof sofshell that I bought for $49.50 vs. $165 retail.

boots are the one place you should prepared to spend some money if you want performance that will last, but the nice thing is criteria is pretty simple, waterproof and insulated everything past that is fit and feel. 200 grams of insulation is sufficient for most everybody, the higher up you go in insulation the bulkier you get sacrificing mobility. mostly I wear my lowa desert zephyr gore-tex boots. for days I will be really out in the cold I have bates footwear tora bora boots. 200 grams in insulation and made specifically for special forces in the mountains, enough said. as you can see I'm very opinionated about my choices and for good reason if you have any ?'s don't hesitate to ask you know I'll tell you straight.

I agree with TJ Maxx and outlets but love Eddie Bauer for the quality! If you watch for sales (they have 30-40% off sales a lot) and "loyalty" bucks help to keep prices reasonable for the quality. I also shop their clearance racks which generally have everything for 30 bucks or less (exceptions would be 300 dollar jackets). You may not look "tacticool" but stealth and being able to meet Biff and Buffy for drinks smelling like "gun stuff" is priceless!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I agree with TJ Maxx and outlets but love Eddie Bauer for the quality! If you watch for sales (they have 30-40% off sales a lot) and "loyalty" bucks help to keep prices reasonable for the quality. I also shop their clearance racks which generally have everything for 30 bucks or less (exceptions would be 300 dollar jackets). You may not look "tacticool" but stealth and being able to meet Biff and Buffy for drinks smelling like "gun stuff" is priceless!

I like the first ascent line EB has but the reality is eddie bauer doesn't hold a candle to most real outdoor companies. I like my stuff overbuilt no frills designed by people who do the things they make the clothing for.:twocents:

Top Bottom