Cold Weather Gear? (shooting or otherwise)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As others have said, it’s all about the layers. It’s also about targeting specific areas where there is high blood flow, if you expose those to cold, two things happen, first you start circulating cold blood back to your core, and you feel colder. Second your body responds by constricting blood vessels to the extremities making those hands and feet feel much colder.

If you’re going to spend money, you’re best bang for the buck will be in the base layer, and second in your outer shell (jacket).

I like Under Armor base layer 2.0 mid weight, and 3.0 expedition weight. I like the mock turtle neck to help protect the neck a little. The half zips are nice, they give you the freedom to let a little air in if you’re rucking in the sun or something strenuous. However, they do leak a little air when zipped. If it gets real cold, I like the one piece union suits. I find the help close up some of the little gaps in layers particularly when working.

The mid layer, I use a fleece sweatshirt or vest depending on how cold it is. Mainly just loking to keep the core warm here.

For pants, I’ve tried the high end Patagonias, Moutain Hardwear, and Outdoor Research. Really, for the money, heavy weight Carharts, or heavy denim blue jeans serve about as well as anything. If it gets really bad, I use the flannel lined ones. All you’re really looking for is a durable layer that will block the wind from cutting through. Obviously if you’re going to be trouncing around in the snow, or rain, you’re probably going to want something that will shed the water. A wet you is a cold you, no way around that one.

For shells I’ve pretty much standardized on Marmot. Their Membrane is great, it breaths to let sweat out, but blocks the wind from cutting in. Pit zips are nice to adjust your temp as needed. I have an older Tamarack shell that has served me well for a few years now, and still looks as good as the day I got it. Sure they are a little bit more money up front, but they work, and they last.

For hats and socks, I stick to wools. Usually Smart Wool of one form or another on the socks, and a couple different beanies I’ve got. I add fox river’s X-static liners if it gets real cold to help keep the toes comfy.

Boots, are generally Danner, or Matterhorn in that order. Cheap boots just get your feet wet, and let in too much air. Not to mention being uncomfortable and unreliable.

Gloves are where I spend money. I like a slim tight fit glove to maintain dexterity. The Outdoor Research Storm trackers are good for really cold, but the Seirus all weather original gloves are just plain good all around gloves. If I’m working, just plain old fleece lined deerskin leather, I burn through them too quick for any expensive gloves.

As a general rule, I like to keep something around to throw around the neck if I get too cold, it also serves as a makeshift balaclava if necessary.

Some things that have made a huge difference for me when out for long periods are to make sure and use the drawstrings, and Velcro closures correctly at the hem, neck, and wrists. That goes a long way towards keeping cold air away from your core. Then identify those areas that are most susceptible to cold for you and insulate them. For me it’s wrists, neck, and head.

Just my two cents from a few years freezing my butt off! :D

Tinman....

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Is it better to have something loose, or tight to the skin?

It was trial and error for me, until I got the right size. I found that if the base layer was too tight, that it would restrict blood flow (for example, if my base layer top was too tight in the arms, I would lose a little sensation in my hands over time) and cause my hands/feet to go slightly numb. So, anything that was "second skin-like" was too tight for me. Some people rave about the UA product, but I found their product to be too tight.

Some time at Dick's or Kohl's (or somewhere having differing brands/sizes) trying on various sizes and weights would be helpful.

When I did the trial and error, I would order online and ensure the e-vendor had free returns.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've tried a lot of outdoor clothing over the years from high end to mil surplus, Carharts, tacticool, etc etc.

Others have already hit upon the solution. Layers.

I wear wool/polypro base layer, mid weight. Sometimes I wear just UA cold gear for a base layer. Never cotton in the cold.

Over that goes a wool sweater, or fleece. I have a couple European surplus wool sweaters that are bombproof.

Pants, over my base layer, I usually wear 5.11, BDU or Woolrich. In extreme cold its wool pants, Swedish I think.

Shell can be goretex. I have a couple, but my best one is from Gander Mountain. This past weekend I taught a survival class and it rained 12 hours straight. Most anyone that had a USGI gortex parka/pants in woodland got wet eventually. Me and anotehr Gander mountain wearer stayed dry (on top at least).

Socks. Wigwam or smartwool. I don't wear liners any more unless I am rucking 10 miles or more with a pack. Helps with hot spots.

Gloves: Nomex flyers gloves, or nomex cold weather gloves. Then trigger mits with wool inserts.

Boots: My primary field boot in the cold is a Rocky insulated (200g) waterproof desert boot. In really cold weather I'll wear Rocky Pacs with a wool felt insole added.

Hat: baseball cap, USGI wool watch cap or fleece hat from Condor.

When I am dressed in greyman regular clothes its a barn coat, thin leather gloves, wool hat. Faggy scarf completes the look.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    A good base layer and a good shell are most important.

I run Marmot base layers (Marmot Men’s Baselayer Fall 2010 | Marmot Clothing and Equipment) and a fleece and a snowboarding shell.

It's cliche, but you need to dress in layers. You do NOT want to get sweaty. If you are active you need to regulate your temperature through pit zips or removing/adding layers.

Keeping your hands and feet warm can be tricky. Good boots and good socks are normally important, but they become critical pieces of gear if you are going to be in the cold for any amount of time. Layer your gloves as well. I wear thinner gloves inside of cover mitts. If I have to do something that requires dexterity I can take off the outer layer and use my thinly gloved fingers. Then put back on the gloves for hiking (or whatever).

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I gotta say that I don't understand all the fuss about Under Armour. I have found their quality and consistency severly lacking. They seem to source their production to which ever Chinese factory is making it the cheapest this week and have little quality control. Case in point is UA socks. Go pick up several of the same pairs of socks at Any Under Armour Store ( Dick's) and read the material list. Next compare the sizing. I have returned several items in the past for inconsistent sizing and poor material. Some of their socks breath well and some of them do not, both of them having the same label.

That being said, I have found the best luck with Duofold base layer products. Since I am tall I find it very important to make sure that the tails on the shirts and legs on the leggings are long enough. You don't want your kidney area being exposed to cold air.

I am not really a fan of most North Face products either but have found that their wind wall fleece is the real deal. Light weight, breathable, and really blocks the wind.

Socks? Smart Wool, Smart Wool and Smart Wool. I have found some less expensive similar socks at of all places Sam's Club that I am testing. They are called Omni Wool and seem to be very similar in comfort and quality of construction. They do seem to pill up a little in the wash but you can buy three pairs for the same price as Smart Wool. I will continue to test these out.

Boots really depend on your activity. Quality brands really seem to pay off here. Danner, Rocky, Lowa, Asolo, Red Wing are all brands I have used and recommend.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For boots I would recommend a set of these. I wore these boots in the service, and they are now my winter boots. They are warm and water proof, and The steel toe in nice feature. It does not add any notable weight, and it does not get cold. The insoles can also be changed out. Also they are very comfortable and not a heavy boot. So they are great for long days on your feet.

Ridge Air Tac Men's 8 inch Steel Toe Zipper Boot - SP496 - Galls.com

For a good under layer I would recommend, UA zippered fleece. They make several different models. They are warm considering how light the material is.

For socks I'm testing a pair of Remington wool socks. They where nine something at K-Mart. So far I have been pleased with them. They keep your feet warm and do a good job as whisking away moisture.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Boots: HARLEY DAVIDSON Ashton Boots Motorcycle Shoes Black Mens
    I bought these a few months ago. They're really warm and function well in the snow.

Gloves: Wells Lamont Cold Weather Suede Cowhide Glove - 1031 from Toughweld Workwear These run big, or they do for me. They keep my hands warm really well. Thinsulate is a great material.

Coat:I wear a Carharrt. It's warm as heck. Blocks the wind really well. I can't find my exact one online any where.

Hat: Acrylic yarn hat my wife made.

Pants: Dickies work pants. They're made well and block the wind really well.

Other than that I wear long johns. They're all pretty much the same. If you can get your hands on some Poly-pro's the military issues those are great too.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Once you pick some gear you want try Ebay. I just picked up a Columbia 3-1 convertable waterproof breathable parka new with tags (NWT) for $40.

I will test it, but it gets decent reviews.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm not going to reiterate the importance of layering.

Here is my skiing set-up. Basically, for high activity in the cold.

Base layer: I like either silk, wool, or some sort of poly blend. This allows the sweat to be wicked from your skin. I have never used UA, but I have worn a couple of knockoffs that I purchased from Target when I went skiing in CO, and they kept me nice and dry. They were a fraction of the cost. I think the composition of the fabric is far more important than the name on the chest. I like my base layer tight to my skin. It doesn't "bind" or get twisted around during high activity. I also think it helps to wick the sweat away.

Mid layer: I usually use a fleece. I like Marmot, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Lowe Alpine, etc. These also help the sweat wick away from the base layer out to the shell, which will keep you dry and warm. The thickness depends on the temperature.

Outer layer: For a coat, I wear a Mountain Hardwear Conduit shell. I have had it for 7 or 8 years, and it still keeps me dry. All you have to do to revitalize the shell is wash it with powder detergent. For pants I wear Mountain Hardwear goretex that I purchased about 10 years ago, and they still do what they're designed to do.

Socks: Smartwool. These are all I wear in the winter.

Hat: Depends, but if the wind is blowing hard and it is cold, I wear a Gore Windstopper hat from Mountain Hardwear. If it's not windy, just a normal fleece or wool hat.

Gloves: I wear leather ski gloves. They are bulky, but keep me dry and warm. Actually, I have been in the market for a thinner pair, but haven't found them yet.

Boots: Salomon. :): Seriously, for everyday, I usually just wear a pair of leather shoes, but when it's snowy, etc. I wear a pair of Sorel Caribou boots. I have had them for 10+ years, and they still look the same as when I bought them.

Additional thoughts: I know you said you don't like the "puffer" jackets, but have you seen the newer down "sweaters?" They are not as puffy, but still have a lot of "fill power." I, personally, have not tried them, but it may be a good option of warmth without the bulk. For example:

Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket - Men's from Backcountry.com

Patagonia Men's Nano Puff® Jacket

Here is a site that I look at from time to time. There are others, but I have had good luck with them. They have all sorts of stuff. Be careful when looking at an item, it will either be "closeouts" or "2nds." I don't know if that bothers you, but I was just pointing it out.

Sierra Trading Post – Great Deals. Great Brands.

After re-reading my post, it seems like I'm a Mountain Hardwear dork.:laugh: I don't care, I use what works for me.

HTH!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Big +1 for mountain hardwear! I just picked up a conduit softshell that has a DWR and membrane so it's 100% waterproof and paperthin but still keeps me warm evenin this recent weather with just a t-shirt. Best deals ever on mountain hardwear is the columbia outlet store in edinburgh. That's where I got my conduit for 49.50 instead of the retail of $165.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've been reading a lot about how the goberment is out to get us and I think all the synthetic fibers are made of chemicals. I've decided to stop manscaping and grow a beard as part of my natural cold weather plan.:D

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Next Question...
    What the H*** is a Tier Zero Operator?! :dunno:

Yeah, I got nothing. :dunno:

Honestly though, Burl is a guy that shoots USPSA and seems to be at about every class I've ever taken. Pretty good guy that just shoots a crap ton.

Oh yeah, and seems to have an endless supply of snickers

Top Bottom