Cold Weather Gear? (shooting or otherwise)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Who the H*** is Burl?!

bwframe

He's INGO's "Old Man" :oldwise:. Not only does he seem to enroll in every training opportunity posted in the T&T forum, but he also shoots many different competitions, and attends just about every event posted in the Events section.

But, above all that, he's a helluva guy and one of my favorite people. :yesway:

This thread is chalk full of info. Thanks to those who took the time to type out your experience!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    After listening to recommendations from someone I trust I decided to try merino wool out this year. I now have socks, base layer pants, base layer turtle neck and a balaclava. The wool pants and top are thinner than a lot of the polypro thermal wear I've had and they work a heck of a lot better. Throw a sock liner on under the merino socks and your feet will be good to go.

I spent the past two days outside training and stayed very comfortable. Merino wool base layers, long sleeve t-shirt, pants (take your pick) fleece jacket, gortex jacket and pants for the outer layer. Snug as a bug in a rug and it was only 6* when I went out into it yesterday morning.

As far as gloves go, the best I've ever had are a cheapo pair of thin fleece gloves I picked up at Bass Pro a couple years ago. It boggles my mind how or why they work so much better than gloves I've spent 4X the money on but they do. They have suede (or some synthetic imitation) on the palm side and fleece on the back. Still thin enough to shoot with (rifle anyway).

Layering is the key.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Well... I tend to wear work wear quite a bit (part of that having to due with my job :D ).

Alot of times at work, I'll be inside and outside frequently, with no time to put on insulated bibs, and cold weather boots, etc. I tend to wear long underwear (100% cotton is required for work clothing). Thorlos makes some AWESOME socks that dry very quickly MCB Law Enforcement Socks by Thorlos. My jackets are typically Carhartt. They take some punishment.

Outside of work, all that still pretty much applies if I'm going to be out, except for what I consider to be my best contribution to this thread:

UnderArmour ColdGear Liner Gloves. I purchased these about two weeks ago, and have been very pleased. I was looking for a skin tight glove that I could use, and have no issues using my firearms with while wearing them. My goal was to use these while I'm out and about, as well as for USPSA. I plan on if it's nasty enough, I'll wear a bulkier glove over these, and remove at the end of the need (for example, inbetween matches, or when outside for a longer time period). So far, I have not had the need to wear anything over these. They do well at keeping dry, and blocking the wind. They have been just fine for clearing ice/snow off the truck, and in general, being outside for 10-15 min. I highly recommend these.
    Under Armour ColdGear Liner Gloves for Men

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm outside for work alot. I don't care to wear a bulky coat either. I layer just like everyone has been recommending. I wear a mix of Carhartt and military surplus, with whatever else thrown in. I'm a big fan of surplus stuff. The prices on military gore tex and fleece are hard to beat. The fleece jackets are as good as and probably better than 90% of the stuff out there. I bought 2 complete sets of gore tex/fleece tops and bottoms for around 100 bucks. Patient Ebay shopping, but great deals.

Right now I am at work and wearing, Surplus GI intermediate cold weather boots, black leather with gore tex lining, thick synthetic socks, cargo pants, insulated Carhartt bibs, t-shirt and thin military long underwear shirt, and the old style military polypro shirt. WARM. As it gets colder I have a Carhartt hooded sweatshirt to add later. Hat and thin gloves if I need them.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Honestly though, Burl is a guy that shoots USPSA and seems to be at about every class I've ever taken. Pretty good guy that just shoots a crap ton.

Oh yeah, and seems to have an endless supply of snickers

hehe

Tacti-Burl... I like it :D

Burl is one of those five star INGOers like Shooter521, Fenway, VUPDBlue... just an all around great guy....

just keep him away from the wife :D

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Some other have mentioned, but just because you're looking at high end performance brands doesn't mean you need to pay the high prices.

I use a lot of the online discounters. If you watch their sales, closeouts, and last year's models, you can find some killer gear for incredible prices.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Went out rucking and squirrel hunting yesterday from 9:30 am to 3:30. Poly pro long underwear, wool sweater, and an old rain jacket. Cheap hat and gloves. I was fine. Hot once I started moving, had to open my jacket. Started out at 18 deg went up to 25.

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Shell can be goretex. I have a couple, but my best one is from Gander Mountain. This past weekend I taught a survival class and it rained 12 hours straight. Most anyone that had a USGI gortex parka/pants in woodland got wet eventually. Me and anotehr Gander mountain wearer stayed dry (on top at least). ...
    Wetsu:

Which Gander Mountain shell do you have/like?

Thanks,

Troy

Dbusby2009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Madison County
    Its been in the single digits here and I have been going Bow hunting about everyday. sometimees with wind chill its below 0.
    I wear Under armor cold gear leggings and turtle neck.
    then fleece (rocky mountain) leggings with same fleece top
    then standard old school long johns over that.
    Then I wear 2 pairs on wool socks. with heated insoles.
    camo face mask, Cabela's Gore-tex Coat and break up infinity overalls.
    Remington light weight gloves with thinsilate fingerless gloves over that.
    I usually set in one spot hunting for about 4-6 hours and stay plenty warm.
    This is about $100 worth of gear if you bargain shop. So its not to expensive.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So based on the advice in this thread, and on tyler34's recommendation to shop TJ Maxx locally, I picked up a few items there today.

First I got some lightweight base layer pants made by Weatherproof for $13.

For a top I chose a long sleeve crew from a company called Marker :dunno: for $10.

I wasn't able to find any Smart Wool socks, so I thought I'd try a pair of Woolrich midweight hiking socks that are 53% CoolMax polyester, 34% nylon, 8% merino wool, and 5% spandex-- for $6.

My total with tax was $31 exactly.

There was a nice base layer set from Marmot, and they looked very nice. At just $20 each piece I was inclined to try them, but they only had Mediums. :noway:

I did learn that TJ Maxx is an interesting place to find last year's items at deep discounts. They had some selections from Columbia, North Face, and others. The trick appears to be going back regularly, as stock rotates.

I'll update as soon as I get a chance to put these new items to the test. :ingo:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    So based on the advice in this thread, and on tyler34's recommendation to shop TJ Maxx locally, I picked up a few items there today.

There was a nice base layer set from Marmot, and they looked very nice. At just $20 each piece I was inclined to try them, but they only had Mediums. :noway:

Half of INGO would follow BURL to the ends of the earth and/or hell. He is the man. I walk away after talking to him feeling ten feet tall.

As for the base layers at TJ Maxx that are made by Marmot... they're actually not for warmth but for moisture wicking. I took a look at them for a long time and then finally read the box. That's fine if I am doing mountain climbing but not so much if I am going outside in the cold for a few hours shooting in the snow. Better options exist for less. It was more like "heat gear" and less like "cold gear."

MARMOT PERFORMANCE BASE LAYER BOTTOM PANTS MENS XL - eBay (item 300505348203 end time Dec-22-10 20:00:44 PST)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Got my Columbia 3 in 1 convertible parka in from Ebay for $40. It is very well made. Very comfortable and breathable. Went on a 6 mile hike, 20 degrees out and windy. I only had a polypro long top underneath. I warmed up quickly and had to unzip the arm pit vents and vent the front. This jacket is very easy to vent and unvent with gloves on.

I like it so far, I can not test its waterproofness yet but will. Well thought out and constructed.

Top Bottom