• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Got 3 Real SAA and one all steel Commander. That’s enough groupie history for me. I like my raring stallions to shoot but the Companies nose in the air attitude won’t get any more of my money.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was really impressed with my Government Pocketlite 380 and my Series 70 1911. They were my intro into the gun world. I wish I still had them both. The guns they are making now cant hold a candle to them. Their new snake guns are shameful and their 1911s arent any better than some RIA offerings. I have a friend that purchased a GCNM for his dad for a Christmas gift a few years back and have to say it was very disappointing fit and fitment to his dad which has been a Colt collector since I was born. Please enlighten me to the pretty nice offerings they are producing now so I can check them out.

The Govt 380's were actually a pretty nice gun for the time but wholly irrelevant today. If you had a Series 70 it was from an era well before 25 years ago. Actually the Series 70's weren't all that great either, many were let out of the factory with uneven lines, off center dustcover cuts, rear serration issues among other things. The 70's and 80's were not prime time for Colt. They made some headway in the 90's and early 2000's trying to update the line but they were still pretty basic. In the last several years they finally seemed to figure out what people want or expect in a 1911 but about 10 years too late lol. The best years for Colt for fit and finish IMO were the 50's and 60's. What do you mean by disappointed in the fit and fitment, things like slide and frame fit or something? If he's been a collector forever he would know that Colt just does not do things like snug slide and frame fit and their safeties tend to be really tight among other things. My current project a new Series 70 retro, I shopped around quite awhile before I found one with a pretty good slide/frame/barrel fit but I still had it welded up and now it's like a Baer but I would have preferred if it came from the factory at least as nice as a SPFD. If you like the standard Govt style look up the new 1911C model, it's a 'series 70' style but with the older more classic rollmarks. If you prefer a modern kitted 1911 look at the Series 70 Competition Plus or the Combat Elites. They have also been responsive in offering most models in 9mm as well since the popularity of 9mm 19ll's has taken off which is one caliber 1911 I have never owned.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Not sure how irrelevant a tight GP is today as quite a few manufacturers are still making 380s today. The series 70 was my first 1911 and was very proud to have it as it shot better than I could at the time. Mine mustve been made on a Tuesday or Thursday as there were no issues with either of them.
    Yes my friends dad was and still is a collector and to say he should have known their policies on fit and finish i find irrelevant. A GCNM is their supposed flagship and is why his son got it for him. A GCNM should have been tight and right but yes the slide/frame fitment left quite a bit to be desired and not only that the barrel bushing and barrel were also a loose fit. Being purchased in 2017 it had the MIM internals which also led to the detriment of character for Colt to him as well. I see you are a Colt fan yourself but you had to do some welding on yours to get it to where you wanted it. If you took the purchase price with the time and money invested to get it right for you you probably could have had a Baer without issues. I feel for you as you shouldnt have had to do that if Colt would stand behind their name and QC. You can say what you want for the new Comp+ or the CEs but its the same offerings in a different wrapper imo. There are better offerings out there for the same or less money Colt is pricing their pistol or rifle offerings at these days.

Last edited:

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    A lot of people here just like to bash on colt. See it all the time.
    im glad colt started selling AR’s to the public. Maybe they can make some money. Good American company
    AA

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    Colt makes good mil-spec rifles and not much more. I had a few and sold them within the last year for substantially more than I paid, I think because people thought they weren't coming back. I can appreciate Colt's unique history and I admit the logo is very cool, but not much substance these days. Everyone has their preferences, just odd to me how defensive people get with Colt.

I was pumped when Colt said they were releasing the A1 retro, only to learn many parts weren't even manufactured by Colt (used Nodak spud receivers, etc.) and was around $2,000+. I picked up a Brownell's clone instead.

This pretty much covers it for me.
    I know a few people that swear by their Colt AR's and some older cats that still carry 70 series Colt 1911's. Those guns have been and still are rock solid reliable but no more so than my Springers and the AR's that I have. And for G.D. sure not paying that money to a bunch of over paid mis-managing morons that have rode that Horse into the ground.

My head still spins over what a snake gun is getting.....:dunno:

Hell yeah. It's really a travesty what has been done to that brand. There are a lot of American manufacturers that are better managed, produce a better quality product, and are actually on our side when it comes to 2A.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I sold a Combat Cobra (#822/1,000) a few years after I bought it in the late '80s for what I paid for it (about $700)... That one's worth at least ten times that now. Biggest gun sale regret EVER. Can I hate on Colt for this? Because I want to...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I sold a Combat Cobra (#822/1,000) a few years after I bought it in the late '80s for what I paid for it (about $700)... That one's worth at least ten times that now. Biggest gun sale regret EVER. Can I hate on Colt for this? Because I want to...

I traded out of a Colt King Cobra I purchased in very late 80's or possibly just in 1990 (I'd have to dig through my records). Traded it out not a long time after purchasing it as it was either built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon. That gun was not built properly. That said, like you, I wish I had kept it only because someone could have fixed what ailed it and I could have gotten rather large $ out of it these days. I've not purchased a Colt since, because for what I'm into, there are just better options, from better run companies.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Colt makes good mil-spec rifles and not much more. I had a few and sold them within the last year for substantially more than I paid, I think because people thought they weren't coming back. I can appreciate Colt's unique history and I admit the logo is very cool, but not much substance these days. Everyone has their preferences, just odd to me how defensive people get with Colt.

I was pumped when Colt said they were releasing the A1 retro, only to learn many parts weren't even manufactured by Colt (used Nodak spud receivers, etc.) and was around $2,000+. I picked up a Brownell's clone instead.

Hell yeah. It's really a travesty what has been done to that brand. There are a lot of American manufacturers that are better managed, produce a better quality product, and are actually on our side when it comes to 2A.

How is Colt not 'on our side'? Because they stopped selling AR's? Should they have kept producing something that people weren't buying?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Not sure how irrelevant a tight GP is today as quite a few manufacturers are still making 380s today. The series 70 was my first 1911 and was very proud to have it as it shot better than I could at the time. Mine mustve been made on a Tuesday or Thursday as there were no issues with either of them.
    Yes my friends dad was and still is a collector and to say he should have known their policies on fit and finish i find irrelevant. A GCNM is their supposed flagship and is why his son got it for him. A GCNM should have been tight and right but yes the slide/frame fitment left quite a bit to be desired and not only that the barrel bushing and barrel were also a loose fit. Being purchased in 2017 it had the MIM internals which also led to the detriment of character for Colt to him as well. I see you are a Colt fan yourself but you had to do some welding on yours to get it to where you wanted it. If you took the purchase price with the time and money invested to get it right for you you probably could have had a Baer without issues. I feel for you as you shouldnt have had to do that if Colt would stand behind their name and QC. You can say what you want for the new Comp+ or the CEs but its the same offerings in a different wrapper imo. There are better offerings out there for the same or less money Colt is pricing their pistol or rifle offerings at these days.

My 1911 shot just fine, I just had it welded up because I wanted to take it to that level not that you have to. What I have in mine is still far from what a Baer would be! Colt has never really done tight slide to frame fit so it's not a matter of standing behind their name or QC and in the big picture really doesn't contribute much to accuracy so it's just a personal preference. Their handguns right now are not really priced that high, i've seen the new 1911C's for 650.00, the same price you'd find a SPFD Mil-Spec at. I'm not a super fan boy don't get me wrong, I like all 1911's and owned almost all the good ones at one time or another!

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    How is Colt not 'on our side'? Because they stopped selling AR's? Should they have kept producing something that people weren't buying?

Because the reason they gave for not selling ARs was some "we don't believe these weapons belong on the streets" type of answer. It is true that everyone knew they weren't selling and needed a way out, but they tried to get some brownie points with the anti-gun crowd by making it a morality issue instead of "our overpriced rifles can't compete with companies putting out better ARs for half the price."

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Because the reason they gave for not selling ARs was some "we don't believe these weapons belong on the streets" type of answer. It is true that everyone knew they weren't selling and needed a way out, but they tried to get some brownie points with the anti-gun crowd by making it a morality issue instead of "our overpriced rifles can't compete with companies putting out better ARs for half the price."

That wasn't their reasoning at all. At least not public reasoning. The press release was that they couldn't sell them, probably because they are mediocre mid tier rifles with outdated features at double their real value. Because" I trained on a colt in xxxx"

People should ignore them based on their profiteering. Let alone their spotty qa.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Ridiculous prices they are asking just to have a pony on the side of an AR-15. I guess all that lost revenue from lost government defense contracts woke up the executives when they found out there was very little cash in the till. Gotta love Colt!

Last edited:

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington

I think the timing of their decision was suspect and I don't think we'd give any other manufacturer a pass for announcing they were pulling out of the civilian market. I understand they're running a business and they're free to offer, or not offer, product at their pleasure, but I don't have to like it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Colt is the Gibson of the gun industry. Pretend to be too good for the unwashed, then re-introduce the exact same thing at a markup so people think it's premium quality unobtanium.

FWIW my 6920 from a couple years ago cost around a grand all-in with a secondhand rail, light, and a 510C. It's an excellent rifle that runs like a sewing machine. But fugeddabout spending $1,600 on one, good lord.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So just curious, what about Ruger (Bill Rugers 10 rd mag comment) or S&W (the whole lock deal when Safety Lock ownd them which had morw to do than any Clinton agreement)

You boycot them too?

I did not buy a new Ruger anything because of the sellout until long after Bill Ruger's death (spit). 25 years or more. There are some companies that price gouged right after Obama was elected (like, that night) that I have not bought anything from since.

Most people have short memories. I don't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did not buy a new Ruger anything because of the sellout until long after Bill Ruger's death (spit). 25 years or more. There are some companies that price gouged right after Obama was elected (like, that night) that I have not bought anything from since.

Most people have short memories. I don't.
    Me either.
    Never was a huge Ruger fan anyway.
    Had some Colts over the years. The mystic surrounding them is myth and rumor
    Had a nice enough Pre-Billery AR that was dead on but it had to go when the mouse got Sick. As did the 70 series 1911’s.
    What I tried to replace them with was Meh at best.
    The last 3 1911’s were just crap.
    3 snake guns and every one needed work more than once. All bad timing issues and were clunk and chunks compared to my S&W’s
    I say all this from personal experiences.

And no I don’t just Bash Colt to be bashing.

Top Bottom