• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Mil Spec = minimum requirements to do the job, while maintaining a "standard" for parts.

^^This!!^^ I'd describe it as, "Not the best, but good enough". If it (whatever "it" is, from an M16 to the bolts that hold the compressor blades in a jet engine) meet a minimum standard, we can get there from here.

Batteries (non-rechargeable, C, D, 9V, 6V, you get the picture) this is an example MILSPEC being garbage. OD green Ray-O-Vacs were crap.

It worked both ways. I can't remember the part, but it was on the F-15A back in the day. The part could've been used on the space shuttle. The F-15A didn't go into space, but that severely overpriced part could have.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    They stopped selling to the public when the public was buying anything and everything. BM melted a lot of guns from gun buybacks. I will not buy anything from them. I do not own any Rugers really do not like the company. S&W yeah they put the locks on but I have owned them for a very long time. I guess we all have our never ever wil I's. BM and Colt are two of mine.

I know the BM, Ruger and S&W story. Sort of why I brought them up. Just asked if they were boycotted as well.

By the way BM, S&W and Ruger is still selling in decent amounts from what I am seeing. Even before the Rona.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    pretty much what's already been said, it's a "pump out as much as you can as cheap as you can while still being 'in spec'", and that you can buy much better quality than milspec and it is not a gold standard.

I would guess that you never have served, if you were a Marine you would see how well those cheap as you can build them rifles last. And work extremely well in their old age...

So with that, what Ar's do you own and show the (Specs) that they were built to. I know what mine are built to.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I’ve tried to stay out of this thread, honestly. Everything the .Gov issued me had a pony on the side. Mil spec is the minimum standard for the .gov, and I have accepted it as mine. I will buy better rifles than a Colt, which there are several. I will buy Colts. I will not buy anything less than a Colt, ever. Buy a cheap ass rifle, or build a cheap ass rifle, you’ll spend the next month on INGO asking why it doesn’t work. The threads number in the thousands.

I’ve never lost a penny on a Colt.

Colt is the Nickleback of the gun world. All the cool kids say they suck, so, they suck. Whatever.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    you are missing the point...the point is, why would you intentionally buy "sold to the lowest bidder" level of parts for personal use. Sure they last long, but so does a Honda Civic, and you won't see people saying a Honda Civic is better than a Shelby GT500. A rack grade M16 is not as good as what you can buy commercially. All ARs, when treated right work well in their old age, this isn't a point, it's just a statement that "care for X, X won't break", who builds a rifle to not last? But have fun on your 8lb "milspec" trigger while I'm sitting pretty on a 2.5lb trigger and a better buffer, better/more comfortable grip, lighter gun, more options for attachments, and better stock. Just because something "works" doesn't make it a gold standard.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ^^This!!^^ I'd describe it as, "Not the best, but good enough". If it (whatever "it" is, from an M16 to the bolts that hold the compressor blades in a jet engine) meet a minimum standard, we can get there from here.

Batteries (non-rechargeable, C, D, 9V, 6V, you get the picture) this is an example MILSPEC being garbage. OD green Ray-O-Vacs were crap.

It worked both ways. I can't remember the part, but it was on the F-15A back in the day. The part could've been used on the space shuttle. The F-15A didn't go into space, but that severely overpriced part could have.

We had these on the sub

navylite.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    you are missing the point...the point is, why would you intentionally buy "sold to the lowest bidder" level of parts for personal use. Sure they last long, but so does a Honda Civic, and you won't see people saying a Honda Civic is better than a Shelby GT500. A rack grade M16 is not as good as what you can buy commercially. All ARs, when treated right work well in their old age, this isn't a point, it's just a statement that "care for X, X won't break", who builds a rifle to not last? But have fun on your 8lb "milspec" trigger while I'm sitting pretty on a 2.5lb trigger and a better buffer, better/more comfortable grip, lighter gun, more options for attachments, and better stock. Just because something "works" doesn't make it a gold standard.
    I didn’t call Colt the Gold Standard. I told you Colt is my minimum. Reading isn’t that hard. What is your minimum standard?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I would guess that you never have served, if you were a Marine you would see how well those cheap as you can build them rifles last. And work extremely well in their old age...

So with that, what Ar's do you own and show the (Specs) that they were built to. I know what mine are built to.

Honda Civic was released in the summer of 1972*** When was the last time you saw a 72 to 1990 Civic on the road.... I see 40-50 year old Colts on the range all the time..
    It was a simple question, Put the rubber on the road....
    What company or companies AR's do you own and to what specs are they built to...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn’t call Colt the Gold Standard. I told you Colt is my minimum. Reading isn’t that hard. What is your minimum standard?

I can say from personal experience your Colt rocks out. Never seen it miss a beat.
    My last Colt AR was the real deal.
    My issue with the Prancing pony is the 1911's.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Name another AR pattern rifle that has put more bodies in the ground, than a Colt? Bad mouth them all you want, but your butthurt doesn’t match the reality of the bodies. I’ll wait for, Palmetto puts out a much better product. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ve tried to stay out of this thread, honestly. Everything the .Gov issued me had a pony on the side. Mil spec is the minimum standard for the .gov, and I have accepted it as mine. I will buy better rifles than a Colt, which there are several. I will buy Colts. I will not buy anything less than a Colt, ever. Buy a cheap ass rifle, or build a cheap ass rifle, you’ll spend the next month on INGO asking why it doesn’t work. The threads number in the thousands.

I’ve never lost a penny on a Colt.

Colt is the Nickleback of the gun world. All the cool kids say they suck, so, they suck. Whatever.

Figured you would be along. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Name another AR pattern rifle that has put more bodies in the ground, than a Colt? Bad mouth them all you want, but your butthurt doesn’t match the reality of the bodies. I’ll wait for, Palmetto puts out a much better product. :laugh:

I have a Colt AR. from 1993 or 94.
    I like it.
    I think it's great.
    I just don't think it's the "gold standard".

Mil-Spec is good. But it's not the "gold standard".
    So when someone (not you) tells me "It's Mil-Spec", or "It's Military Grade", I have to work hard to keep the eyeballs from rolling up into the top of my head.

:)

Top Bottom