• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    A buddy of mine had a Colt Delta Elite back in the early 90's. As I recall it was a very nice pistol. I have been wanting a 10mm 1911 since buying my Glock 40 to deer hunt with. The DW Bruin would be awesome if I had the extra money for it, but the Remington R1 LS 10mm in the burnt Bronze is the one I have been looking at. <br>I ordered some Underwood 10mm 200 gr. XTP's to try today. I normally shoot Armscor 180's for the range and Hornady Custom 180 gr. XTP for the woods. I have shot the Sig 180 gr. FN ammo and they are a little stouter than the Armscor. I can get the Armscor for $20 per 50 which is the cheapest I have found for the range.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is the Bruin really worth the costs? I don't mind going that high but if its not a good value???

They are really nicely done pistols. I've been eyeing one down at a shop in Greenwood, but just can't foot the cost for what would be nothing more than a toy. But, I think that they are worth the price. I have a couple of other Dan Wesson's and they are really top notch guns. I do get more enjoyment out of shooting something I helped to create though, and putting the effort into the CDE was more satisfying to me in the end. I'd pick one up if I had the cash though. Hard to go wrong with a DW.

By the way 88somethingsomething, that Delta is beautiful!

Thanks. It's my barbecue gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll make sure I have ammo for it for when we shoot next. It's a fun shooter, but is still short of anything I've shot of yours. You have some top notch pistols and it's tough to beat any of those.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll make sure I have ammo for it for when we shoot next. It's a fun shooter, but is still short of anything I've shot of yours. You have some top notch pistols and it's tough to beat any of those.

I would love to compare the Colt to a custom. Real world. Will be interesting.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I did the same thing with mine. Love to have a Bruin, but tarting up the DE was more satisfying. I did the safeties, but had AllenM cut the slide for Novaks, checker the front strap and Cerakote it in burnt bronze. It also got all new internals and mammoth ivory grips. I really should take a better photo of it, but this is where's it's at right now.
    Colt Delta Elite by Tim Piscitelli, on Flickr

I bet that John Wayne himself never owned a piece so fine, '88 ..... that's fabulous ! :wow:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Go for it, it's a 1911 and a good one at that. :) We're all enablers here in the end, grab one and let it eat! I've eyeballed the one at my LGS for a couple years but always get skiddish about the ammo/mag gathering. Maybe one of these days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Go for it, it's a 1911 and a good one at that. :) We're all enablers here in the end, grab one and let it eat! I've eyeballed the one at my LGS for a couple years but always get skiddish about the ammo/mag gathering. Maybe one of these days.

No good mag for a 1911 is cheap. But....you can run 10mm in a good 45ACP mag. I do it all the time when I burn through the dedicated 10mm mags for the Bobtail. I would not do it for EDC if this were my choice for the gun but at the range they run just fine.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    No good mag for a 1911 is cheap. But....you can run 10mm in a good 45ACP mag. I do it all the time when I burn through the dedicated 10mm mags for the Bobtail. I would not do it for EDC if this were my choice for the gun but at the range they run just fine.

Thank you, that's handy information! I've got a ton of good 45 acp mags, the thought of buying several 10mm mags is daunting. Hmmm

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've done the same. For carry, I use the Tripp Research mags, but for range time, any 45 mag will run just fine. I don't recall ever having an issue with the 45 mags when running 10mm through them.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Saw my first Ruger 10mm in a gunshop today. Didn't fondle it, as that's not what I was there for, plus I'm currently bidding on some other 10mm guns, but it looked very, very nice. I like the look of it better than a Delta Elite, even.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Any consideration to the Glock 20 or even better, the G40? I've got both and haven't shot the 20 since getting the 40. They soak up the snap of the 10mm round nicely.

Dan Wesson Bruin - Dan Wesson

Fully supported chamber , Dan Wesson builds their supported barrels right my Point Man 9mm can handle 9mm major loads just fine pushing a 124gr pill at about ~1350

I love 10mm, but I gotta say I'd far prefer either of these options to a CDE. It's just not built for what the cartridge can handle. Why bother with 10mm if limited to warm 40SW speeds?

I'd look first at a G40 if I didn't mind double stack and didn't reload (i.e., hunting with factory ammo).

If I wanted to reuse cases and/or wanted the extra love of a fine 1911, I'd go to the DW Bruin. Or get an aftermarket barrel for the G40 that had a little tighter chamber.

"Glock bulge" and multiple reloading do not go well together.

DW has several other 1911s in 10mm now (including Valor, IIRC). I think you'd want the long slide Bruin in almost all cases, though. I would, for sure, for hunting and target use.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I love 10mm, but I gotta say I'd far prefer either of these options to a CDE. It's just not built for what the cartridge can handle. Why bother with 10mm if limited to warm 40SW speeds?

I'd look first at a G40 if I didn't mind double stack and didn't reload (i.e., hunting with factory ammo).

If I wanted to reuse cases and/or wanted the extra love of a fine 1911, I'd go to the DW Bruin. Or get an aftermarket barrel for the G40 that had a little tighter chamber.

"Glock bulge" and multiple reloading do not go well together.

DW has several other 1911s in 10mm now (including Valor, IIRC). I think you'd want the long slide Bruin in almost all cases, though. I would, for sure, for hunting and target use.

My nickel cases from underwood's loads don't have any bulge out of my G40. Their about as hot as one can get. Not saying glocks have the best chamber support cause they don't. I think the issue people get into with hot 10mm loads and glock factory barrels is the powder selection. I'm pretty sure Kevin is using 800-x for his 10mm loads. There's those people that like to push top of the node with 10mm and Clays. That's a no no. Clays is too fast of a powder for 10mm

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Well, after much research, mostly on the 1911 forum, I've decided to pass on the Bruin. Sounds like lots of good but some bad sprinkled in-ftf, fte-and I'd rather not take a chance on that price, especially with their CS department not on a par with others. On the other hand I did get to fondle the Ruger, looks well built, CS says it can handle all heavy and high speed loads. So thats what I'm going with. Already visited Underwoods site, nothing crazy just yet (some of their 1500fps stuff) will start off with their 1300fps offering. When I get time to play with it and wring it out I'll try my hand at a review.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, after much research, mostly on the 1911 forum, I've decided to pass on the Bruin. Sounds like lots of good but some bad sprinkled in-ftf, fte-and I'd rather not take a chance on that price, especially with their CS department not on a par with others. On the other hand I did get to fondle the Ruger, looks well built, CS says it can handle all heavy and high speed loads. So thats what I'm going with. Already visited Underwoods site, nothing crazy just yet (some of their 1500fps stuff) will start off with their 1300fps offering. When I get time to play with it and wring it out I'll try my hand at a review.

Please let us know what you think. I have only fondled not fired.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Will do. Only downside so far after visiting Underwoods I had to tell grandkids that Christmas is cancelled!

Oh yeah that will work out well for you.
    We were just blessed with a 4th great grand child. Christmas will be on a lottery system here from this year on.....:laugh6:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I'll have to keep that in mind. My range gives me 70 yds to play with (downhill wooded backstop). But the cheeseburgers can be unlimited!:laugh: Let me know if you ever this far north. INGOers are always welcome!

Top Bottom