• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I have a hard time believing this is anything more than a disgruntled ex-employee. Seems like colt is mounting a comeback, in my opinion.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote from article: "Shutting them down, however, would burn a significant amount of goodwill that Colt has built over the years with its customer base..." Really? Colt's customer base has been for decades U.S. military contracts. They've ignored the civilian market.

^^^^^^^^^

Colt has done squat to develop and compete with Glock, S&W, Springfield and such in the $400-$600 consumer market. They seemed to take their government contracts for granted, like they would always be there. As iconic as the Colt brand is, I'll always in my mind attach the $1500+ range toy, 'safe queen' image to any product of theirs.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Colt's timing could not be worse. They appear to be shifting to the consumer market (slightly) just as that market is seeing one of the biggest collapses in recent memory.

Colt somewhat reminds me of FN. Huge military contracts keeping things going with the consumer market treated almost as a hobby line. At least the FN pistols are 1) in the range on pricing and 2) pretty well made-- though a friend just had to send his FNS in for a major issue. (they turned it around in 3 weeks from leaving his door to coming back to his door). Would Colt turn around a pistol in 3 weeks?

I wish colt the best. But I do fear the worst on their behalf. They simply have nothing compelling for me to buy. I can find good ARs for less money like they are growing on trees. 1911 market is saturated at every price point. And Colt's revolver offerings seem tailored to just a tiny collector niche-- not the kind of thing that can sustain a larger business.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    ^^^^^^^^^

Colt has done squat to develop and compete with Glock, S&W, Springfield and such in the $400-$600 consumer market. They seemed to take their government contracts for granted, like they would always be there. As iconic as the Colt brand is, I'll always in my mind attach the $1500+ range toy, 'safe queen' image to any product of theirs.
    Did you ever stop and think, maybe they don't WANT a $400-600 gun? Just as the article stated, they don't want to be in the $500 AR business, they also don't want necessarily to be in the commodities market when it comes to their Handguns either! O-Frame Colt pistols are largely hand made and fitted, SAA's are nearly entirely hand made, you can't do that for $400-600 unless you're hiring Malaysian 6 year olds to fit your stuff.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Did you ever stop and think, maybe they don't WANT a $400-600 gun? Just as the article stated, they don't want to be in the $500 AR business, they also don't want necessarily to be in the commodities market when it comes to their Handguns either! O-Frame Colt pistols are largely hand made and fitted, SAA's are nearly entirely hand made, you can't do that for $400-600 unless you're hiring Malaysian 6 year olds to fit your stuff.
    Actually the gunsmith guild in Malaysia demands higher pay for their 6 year olds.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ^^^^^^^^^

So, the All American 2000 did not happen? It was just a bad dream? That's a relief!

Last thing Colt needs to do is enter the plastic, fantastic market. They lost their shirts last time.

Government contracts? You mean the ones FN in Souf Cackalacky have been filling for years now?

Colt needs to kick the union and the State of CT out of the factory and go make guns again.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    No way the union allows Colt to leave those sweet, sweet Blue State treats. And . . . the State of Connecticut owns a piece of Colt.

Yup....colt is screwed for as long as the unions and CT owns part of them

As for the All American 2000......nope....it happened. Can't drink that debacle away

How does the state own a piece of a private company?

One of the many times Colt declared bankruptcy the state put up the money and bought part of them

Top Bottom