• Status
    Not open for further replies.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Of the available soon to be free agents to consider is Teddy Bridgewater.
    He's healthy and in the 5 games he played this season he excelled. Granted he was in a good system but he showed he's better than a large percentage of active QBs.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Eli Manning, Rivers, Newton, and Dalton will all be testing the FA waters this off-season. I don't want any of them. I'd rather keep Brissett than bring in an overpriced, aged vet.

I'm going to disagree strongly that the Colts don't have a true #1 WR. TY Hilton is, by any imaginable standard, a true #1 WR. The jury is still out on the other pieces (Funchess injured in the first game of the season, Campbell fought various injuries all season, etc.).

This offense is designed to have a 2018 Ebron. It was considerably less-effective with the 2019 Ebron. I agree: a 2018-type Ebron is needed. The other TEs are fine in their roles.

They need more production out of their pass rushers, and more pressure on the QB without having to resort to blitzes. As soon as that happens, the defensive secondary will magically improve a hundredfold.

There is so little difference from top to bottom in the league - especially in the AFC and in the South division - that a few, minor things make a huge difference. A couple made FGs and one fewer pick-six, and the Colts would be 10-6 and playoff-bound this year (and possibly division champs). I don't agree that across-the-board changes are needed.

I agree TY is a #1 receiver... BUT, with him struggling with injuries we need another. We all know our bodies don’t get better as we grow older, and the reason guys like manning and Brady are so dangerous is having multiple receivers who are elite. We had Dallas Clark stokely Harrison Wayne etc. that’s a lot of weapons for a defense to cover. Right now we have Doyle and Hilton, and it’s a toss up if they’ll be playing or injured. I’d say ideally we get a decent QB a pass rusher and a good receiver. I like JB, I just don’t believe he’s a franchise QB.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Interesting to see just which QB's were the best this year per the NFL passing formula. The top rated QB was Ryan Tannehill with the third highest rating ever, just behind Rodgers and Peyton. Second was Brees, the over 100 had Lamar Jackson, Kirk Cousins, Russel Wilson, Matthew Stafford, Patrick Mahomes, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Derek Carr.

Brissett came in tied with Brady at 88.0 in the middle of the pack, as twelve other starters finished behind them. Only two QB's in the playoffs were below 93.0, Brady and the Bills Allen.

This is all goes to show the Colts can win with the before injury Brissett that went 5-2 but an injured Brissett does not have the ability to overcome that, especially if it affects mobility.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Colts to explore idea of signing Philip Rivers in 2020?

[FONT=&amp]"The Indianapolis Colts are rumored to have some interest in potentially signing soon-to-be free agent quarterback Philip Rivers for the 2020 season.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Jeremy Fowler of ESPN shared that NFL executives believe the Colts will explore the idea of signing Rivers this offseason, per Locked on Colts Podcast, which noted the connection Rivers has with Colts head coach Frank Reich and his coordinator, Nick Sirianni.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Coming off a very frustrating season with the Los Angeles Chargers, Rivers seemed to realize after his final regular-season game that it might be his last one with the organization. In the same postgame press conference, he made it clear that retirement isn’t an option and that he absolutely would consider playing for another team in 2020.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Of the teams that might be looking, the Colts have a very good chance to be really good with a franchise passer at the helm. At this point, however, it’s unclear if Rivers still has the game to live up to that designation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]This past season with the Chargers, the 38-year-old veteran passed for 4,615 yards and 23 touchdowns. Unfortunately, he also tossed 20 interceptions (the third-most in the NFL) and cost his team dearly with many of those mistakes."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...a-of-signing-philip-rivers-in-2020/ar-BBYwMRs[/FONT]

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I’d be shocked if they went after Rivers, but it can’t be any worse than what we’ve got now so what the heck. Sign Rivers for a season and then go get Trevor Lawrence in next year’s draft.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’d be shocked if they went after Rivers, but it can’t be any worse than what we’ve got now so what the heck. Sign Rivers for a season and then go get Trevor Lawrence in next year’s draft.

If they want Lawrence, why rent Rivers? Just give Brissett another year, he will either get better or wash out completely. If he washes out the Colts get better position to acquire Lawrence from. Rivers will never get any better at his age...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've always despised Rivers but damn he has heart. TD/INT ratio is due in a large part to the quality of your team mates. If the Colts O-line is decent & the WR & TE crew returns healthy, I think Rivers could be a good fit.

Bridgewater though... that could be a good longer term solution.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Lord NO! Philip Rivers is a punk.

Dirty Steve

What an uninformed statement! The guy is one of the most grounded players in the league. A devout Cathloic family man since his freshman year in college. His off field life is exemplary. Is he exuberant when he has crushed the Colts several times? YES. Is he a punk, no. At minimum accomplice to murder Ray Lewis is a punk, not Rivers...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What an uninformed statement! The guy is one of the most grounded players in the league. A devout Cathloic family man since his freshman year in college. His off field life is exemplary. Is he exuberant when he has crushed the Colts several times? YES. Is he a punk, no. At minimum accomplice to murder Ray Lewis is a punk, not Rivers...

Correct: not punk. Crybaby (especially during the Manning era) is a much more accurate descriptor. He seems to have changed in his old age, but therein lies the problem: he's a near-retirement veteran that doesn't really help the situation beyond where the Colts are today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Did you actually see how he acted when he played the Colts at home a few years ago. He is a *****.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are not going to get better from Brissett. He has that deer in the headlights look about him.

I meant hope for a better solution, not necessarily better out of Brissett. I really had high hopes for him at first but it just didn't pan out. I think he'd make a fine backup for a franchise QB, but I just don't think he turned into the leader that they needed. But to be fair, he kind of had it thrust upon him and I think he did "okay" all things considered.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I meant hope for a better solution, not necessarily better out of Brissett. I really had high hopes for him at first but it just didn't pan out. I think he'd make a fine backup for a franchise QB, but I just don't think he turned into the leader that they needed. But to be fair, he kind of had it thrust upon him and I think he did "okay" all things considered.

He has been around long enough to either step up or stay put. He had the chance and took it. No knocks as most anyone would.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    He has been around long enough to either step up or stay put. He had the chance and took it. No knocks as most anyone would.

First, I think Brisset has pretty much reached his potential. I think his performance really highlights how important it is for a QB to have a number of go to guys on the field. Just as an example when he could throw to T.Y. he looked pretty good. But when he didn't have top tier go to guys he looked like a deer in headlights searching for a place to hide. Unfortunately, I don't think he is the leader the team needs. And maybe several guys in their locker room don't see him as the leader and lack confidence in him.
    Hopefully they can pick up some more top tier play makers and find a better QB.
    I could be wrong, I have been before

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom