• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    What are you on about? If you are a felon you shouldn't be able to buy a weapon, but if you go to a private seller then you can. This idea simply helps enforce laws that are already on the books.

Naw, just steal it from someone that has already gone through the background check...like the Newtown shooter. Killed his mom in the process.

Background check really would've helped there eh?

Mad Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I would also like to clear something up: This was meant as an addition to a law that eases some restrictions. Remove the tax stamp on SBRs and Suppressors, for instance.

Lobb40118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Earth
    I doubt they have the horsepower to do anything more than make a bunch of noise about a ban. They are more concerned about taxes at the moment and the debt limit raise.

Mad Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Naw, just steal it from someone that has already gone through the background check...like the Newtown shooter. Killed his mom in the process.

Background check really would've helped there eh?

I'm not saying this would solve the problem, but no gun law would have stopped him. This is an essentially meaningless bone to throw to the Democrats to keep them off our backs.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    On a more favorable note, this could also function as the first step, if not the realization of, a nationwide concealed carry licence.

Not just no, but hell no. At first glance, back in the day, I thought that maybe that would be a good idea.

But think on it a bit.

Federal government granting civilians the ability to carry a firearm.

Kind of goes against the 2nd amendment, don't you think?

Federal government getting to pick and chose who is legal and who isn't...

No tyranny there at all.

Mad Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I doubt they have the horsepower to do anything more than make a bunch of noise about a ban. They are more concerned about taxes at the moment and the debt limit raise.

I would love to agree, but many pro-gun senators have been changing their tune in the last day or 2.

Mad Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Not just no, but hell no. At first glance, back in the day, I thought that maybe that would be a good idea.

But think on it a bit.

Federal government granting civilians the ability to carry a firearm.

Kind of goes against the 2nd amendment, don't you think?

Federal government getting to pick and chose who is legal and who isn't...

No tyranny there at all.

That is in no way what I am proposing. I'm saying you go through the standard BG check that you do at your local dealer and you get a little card that says you passed it. You can then buy a gun. It doesn't say you can't be gifted one, it doesn't register you with anything, and your guns are not taken away if you don't renew it.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'm not saying this would solve the problem, but no gun law would have stopped him. This is an essentially meaningless bone to throw to the Democrats to keep them off our backs.

I disagree with that statement. 1. There is no such thing as a meaningless bone to a class of people that only TAKE, TAKE, and TAKE.

2. Gun laws actually HELPED him commit that atrocity.

Teachers and staff not being able to carry weapons just in case? We send our kids to school expecting that they'll be back, and that where there are is safe and secure. I don't clad my kids in styrofoam and bubblewrap, but at the same time, they do have an adult near by that have weapons, know how to use them, and have zero problem defending them with deadly force. Gun laws prevent this kind of mentality in schools.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    That is in no way what I am proposing. I'm saying you go through the standard BG check that you do at your local dealer and you get a little card that says you passed it. You can then buy a gun. It doesn't say you can't be gifted one, it doesn't register you with anything, and your guns are not taken away if you don't renew it.

Gifted is the same exact thing as a person to person sale. Just in one case no money is exchanged.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Alright, I'm new here so if this is not the correct place for policy discussion, please direct me to the correct place.
    It's not, but everyone else does....
    In light of the recent shooting and the momentum behind the gun control lobby at the present time, it is almost impossible for even the likes of the NRA to hold everything in place. Compromise is needed, and we need to be the ones who propose it first or risk an unfavorable law, like an AWB, being shoved down our throats. The question is, what would be a favorable compromise?
    Feinstein, Biden, Schumer - they don't want compromise. They want a start to complete disarmament.

My answer is this: create a nationwide licence that you receive at no charge when you have a background check. You can then display this licence, provided it is recent, that will allow you to buy firearms. This applies to both private sale and to sales by licensed dealers. This would close the "Gun show loophole" without making gun shows illegal, and it would be more comprehensive, covering all private sales. Further, it would be a political victory for the Democrats who have been striving so hard to close the loophole and typically back off after a victory like this, while not infringing on the rights of law abiding gun owners.

What are your opinions of this?

License: One 'c', one 's'.

See my post in the right forum:
    I scooped you by a couple of hours.

Mad Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I disagree with that statement. 1. There is no such thing as a meaningless bone to a class of people that only TAKE, TAKE, and TAKE.

2. Gun laws actually HELPED him commit that atrocity.

Teachers and staff not being able to carry weapons just in case? We send our kids to school expecting that they'll be back, and that where there are is safe and secure. I don't clad my kids in styrofoam and bubblewrap, but at the same time, they do have an adult near by that have weapons, know how to use them, and have zero problem defending them with deadly force. Gun laws prevent this kind of mentality in schools.

1. Alright, I'll give you that.

2. I agree wholeheartedly, and I did already. I honestly don't see how this is an infringement of rights. You go through this check when you buy from a store, why not from a private sale then?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    No compromise. Giving an inch will lead to two inches. If they limit mags to 10 rds, pretty soon it will be to 3 rds (don't need more for HUNTING), then pretty soon we are back to single shot. I'm a pretty open-minded person, but I see no room for wiggle.

Mad Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks Jetta. I realize that the gun grabber club doesn't want compromise, but they are the crazies. When we all descend to that level stuff doesn't get done. It is gridlock to the nth degree.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    1. Alright, I'll give you that.

2. I agree wholeheartedly, and I did already. I honestly don't see how this is an infringement of rights. You go through this check when you buy from a store, why not from a private sale then?

At that point, it's about personal property rights. If I wish you sell you something, it is MY responsibility to make sure you are legal to have it. If you have a LTCH, I'm convinced. If I have know you for years, I'm convinced. If you don't have these, maybe give me an impression as being on the shady side, then I don't have to sell to you. However, what I do, should not be dictated by the government. I get enough of that trying to run my own business and filling out government forms.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Any compromise by pro-gun supporters will just lead to more and more senseless gun control laws that in no way help stop evil people from doing evil things. There is no compromise on this issue. As someone said in a post before me, they just want to ban guns period. They won't stop at high capacity magazines or semi-auto rifles.

Top Bottom