Concealed Carry Without permits, IN too far behlnd the times. Demand it now!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    West Virginians can "conceal carry" without permits on May 26, 2016 to become one of many states to do so. And they've been able to open carry without permits for years. IN is far behind. Just look around at the bold teens without regard to laws or life. We need it now more than ever. I had my personal protection permit for years because it used to be a requirement for hunting with handguns. No longer need a permit to use for hunting so let it lapse a few years ago. We need that type of flexibility so we can protect ourselves and loved ones without the wait, the costs and stone walling "clerks" that make applying just down right unpleasant. I don't want to carry all the time. But on occasions I feel the need and wish I had it or better it's not required.:(

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's what, five states with Constitutional Carry? Indiana has lifetime licenses, no OC/CC mandate, pretty liberal when it comes to where you may carry...

So, while I don't disagree, it's not fair to say, "IN is far behind".

And for the few time you want to carry, why don't you just go ahead and get a LTCH? Heck, it's easier to get than a motorcycle endorsement. I don't understand, you talk about "bold teens" then say you don't carry most of the time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I too will say we arent that far behind. Considering "no guns" signs are generally private property rules and have no serious legal repercussions, (like OH) I think our laws not that unreasonable.

YMMV.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    There's what, five states with Constitutional Carry? Indiana has lifetime licenses, no OC/CC mandate, pretty liberal when it comes to where you may carry...

So, while I don't disagree, it's not fair to say, "IN is far behind".

And for the few time you want to carry, why don't you just go ahead and get a LTCH? Heck, it's easier to get than a motorcycle endorsement. I don't understand, you talk about "bold teens" then say you don't carry most of the time.

First personal protection permit was in 1986 for hunting and I have never liked "concealed" carry because it's just not comfortable. Hunting don't need it. Residents should be able to carry if they feel they need to without getting a permit. Teens are in the news almost every day with gun related issues and reckless disregard for life and property. IN castle doctrine which Pence signed just a few years ago is good while on my property. My neighborhood is just not safe anymore and IMPD & Mayor admit the solution is complex; lack of teen jobs, hunger, drugs and is a long way from being fixed. So, I would like to keep law-abiding citizens just that without getting LTCH. Plus, costs & unpleasant application process is still with us, just ask a clerk in City-County Building for help and see what's it's like.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    First personal protection permit was in 1986 for hunting and I have never liked "concealed" carry because it's just not comfortable. Hunting don't need it. Residents should be able to carry if they feel they need to without getting a permit. Teens are in the news almost every day with gun related issues and reckless disregard for life and property. IN castle doctrine which Pence signed just a few years ago is good while on my property. My neighborhood is just not safe anymore and IMPD & Mayor admit the solution is complex; lack of teen jobs, hunger, drugs and is a long way from being fixed. So, I would like to keep law-abiding citizens just that without getting LTCH. Plus, costs & unpleasant application process is still with us, just ask a clerk in City-County Building for help and see what's it's like.

I support your position and do think Indiana should be a constitutional carry state, but I have to question your timing on this a bit.

Where were you 2 months ago when Rep. Tom Dermody let a constitutional carry bill die in committee? The legislative session is over. If you're geeked up for a push on this I get it, but you might want to save some energy and start planning what you can do heading into next year's session.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    CC/OC

It's time for the Feds to come to the table and provide for CC and OC virtually anywhere in the country with a valid state license. Basically work like a drivers license and leave it up to the states to keep the undesirables from getting one.
    PS wish they would do that for fishing also.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I support your position and do think Indiana should be a constitutional carry state, but I have to question your timing on this a bit.

Where were you 2 months ago when Rep. Tom Dermody let a constitutional carry bill die in committee? The legislative session is over. If you're geeked up for a push on this I get it, but you might want to save some energy and start planning what you can do heading into next year's session.

Where was this when the General Assembly was in session?:D

INGO, always timely.

Pretty much what I thought. But it's not too early to be contacting your state reps and senators. Don't just complain about it on an internet forum -- call and/or write.

By the way, I saw an article where the Mississippi senate passed some form of CC down there recently.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    It's time for the Feds to come to the table and provide for CC and OC virtually anywhere in the country with a valid state license. Basically work like a drivers license and leave it up to the states to keep the undesirables from getting one.
    PS wish they would do that for fishing also.
    I'm not in favor of permits. I renewed my personal protection permit 6 times over about 24 years. It expired several times because of the terrible "renewal window" process and is expired now. I can't renew on-line because I'm not in the system. WV's system is simple, you're a resident you can conceal carry. Even as non-resident I can open carry or have in open sight in my vehicle. Problem with going this direction is political. Law enforcement doesn't generally support it and politicians are shy about that. It comes back to "We the People, ". With our long sessions one year and short sessions the next getting any new laws occurs very slowly. But I can alway move to WV as a friend said.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Bad day at the City-County Building today?
    No, was Sept.of Nov. 2012, last time I tried messing with it. Take this sheet which explains and go online. Setup appointment with private vendor for finger prints, no longer done on the 8th floor or whatever. Today they are probably "all smiles" and helpful and I have egg on my face.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With our long sessions one year and short sessions the next getting any new laws occurs very slowly.

Fine by me.

Only political mistake that my father told me he made was voting to amend the Indiana Constitution to having the General Assembly meet every year.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    There's what, five states with Constitutional Carry?

I think that number has been rising.

Not sure if this list is totally current, but should be pretty close. Copied from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_carry

1 U.S. jurisdictions that have constitutional carry
    1.1 Alaska
    1.2 Arizona
    1.3 Arkansas[disputed]
    1.4 Idaho (residents only)
    1.5 Kansas
    1.6 Maine
    1.7 Puerto Rico[disputed]
    1.8 Vermont
    1.9 West Virginia
    1.10 Wyoming (residents only)
    2 U.S. States that have a limited form of permitless concealed carry
    2.1 Mississippi (enclosed case)
    2.2 Montana (outside city limits)
    2.3 New Hampshire (unloaded weapon & loaded magazine)
    2.4 New Mexico (unloaded weapon & loaded magazine, vehicle carry)
    2.5 Oklahoma (residents of constitutional carry states)

And from: http://www.gunlaws.com/ConstitutionalCarryIndex.htm

8 STATES WITH CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY
    (in chronological order):

Vermont has had Constitutional Carry since the nation's founding in 1791 --
    they never enacted any law banning the right to discreetly bear arms.

Montana enacted Constitutional Carry in 1991, for all areas
    outside city limits (99.4% of the state), and is working on the rest.

Alaska enacted Constitutional Carry in 2003.

Texas enacted Constitutional Carry "light" in 2007
    as the "Motorist Protection Act," freeing people to carry in their vehicles,
    and to and from their vehicles and their homes, land or business.

Arizona got full Constitutional Carry in 2010,
    and the sky has not fallen, despite desperate fears to the contrary.

Wyoming enacted Constitutional Carry for residents in 2011.

Arkansas passed HB1700 (Act 746) on August 16, 2013 to get Constitutional Carry.

Kansas pushed Constitutional Carry through with widespread support in 2015.

Many states have some level of Constitutional Carry
    for homes, businesses, land you own or lease, during sporting pursuits,
    in vehicles -- or in other situations with varying degress or restrictions,
    special conditions or rights-infringing red tape.
    Is your state next? Breathe the air of freedom!
    Make it so:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Having lived in UT, MO, IL, IN, and now MI, I can say that IN is pretty gun friendly
    I *would* really like to see constitutional carry, but I gladly accept our (realtively) easy process of getting a lifetime LTCH -- get it before it goes away!

Yes, there's a fee and it takes some time, but I like knowing that those that go through the process are vetted in some way (clean background).
    I also LOVE the open/concealed option given with the LTCH.

I am getting ready to get my MI CWP soon, and am quickly finding out that it had a lot of extra restrictions, higher fees, required training, 5 yr shelf life, etc.

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I recently helped a friend get their Handgun License. The whole process is absurd, almost $12 just to make an appointment! Also, we had the displeasure of dealing with the rudest most condescending LE bureaucrat in the area. I don't see how citizens paying the State almost $200 to defend their lives is moral. The requirement to get licensed is not preventing any criminal from carrying a weapon. I would hazard to guess that it does keep a lot of honest citizens from ccwing though due to fees and the hassle.

As I was helping my friend through the process, I wondered how would a poor single mom or an elderly person on a fixed income afford all these fees? Those folks are most in need of a handgun for protection.

Yes, Indiana has much better CCW laws than most other states, but we citizens should demand better.

Top Bottom