Concealed Carry Without permits, IN too far behlnd the times. Demand it now!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    This is all relative. I travel a lot, and one thing I've learned is that most people think that how things are where they live is pretty much normal everywhere else. Those of us that have a keen interest in this issue know that is indeed not the case. Progress is being made towards removing restrictions state by state but it is painfully slow for those of us that believe that the Second Amendment is our authorization to carry. I remember the first time I saw an average citizen open carrying in Virginia, circa 2000. I felt like I had seen the Loch Ness Monster.

I lived in Ohio my entire life until last year. I became involved in the fight to get legal concealed carry in the mid 90's. It was extremely frustrating to feel like I was in the .1% that could see the truth. Even people at gun shows were... skeptical at just turning everyone loose with handguns. I really wanted something like Vermont to exist, but if having to accept a licensing system I thought Indiana was a perfectly acceptable model to follow. What we ended up with in 2004 was a law only slightly better than the nightmare Illinois has now. It was full of poison pills that they are still trying to chip away at every year. They have had a great deal of success at doing so, but it's still an aggravatingly slow process. When I received my first Ohio LTCH I felt like I had jumped through enough flaming hoops to be a qualified circus poodle.

My point here is that Ohio went from no system, to a kind of bad one, and has continued to improve it because there is a loud and motivated and well organized group of people that won't let the issue go. They can all remember when there was a total prohibition and never want to see that again. The contrast to that is here in Indiana. There has been a decent (by way of comparison) system in place here for generations. It has worked pretty well, and been changed little and most people are used to it including the politicians, who are bust rocking different boats.

Do I support Constitutional carry here? Of course. I just believe it's going to be a bit of a hard sell when the average gun owner/carrier here believes that what we have isn't really that bad. The laws are swinging our way on a national scale, and I believe Constitutional carry will happen here before a lot of states. There are other states like California, New York, and New Jersey that will never change unless there's a federal cram-down forcing them to do so.

Perhaps next year. We can dream, can't we?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you're going to burrow down the whole 2nd Amendment rabbit hole, then you better follow it it zenith. No free man walking the streets, and not under jurisdiction of the courts, should be denied a right. So I reject the idea of holding a bias to free man that has served his time; felon or not.

I was asking if you had concerns about safety.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    If you're going to burrow down the whole 2nd Amendment rabbit hole, then you better follow it it zenith. No free man walking the streets, and not under jurisdiction of the courts, should be denied a right. So I reject the idea of holding a bias to free man that has served his time; felon or not.

I agree with this, and there was a time when it was true. If you were released, you were back on a level playing field with the rest of free society. There have been several generations now that have lived with the idea of "the punishment never really ends" and are used to it. Felons have a harder time finding meaningful employment, for instance. Losing voting rights is another example. One non-violent crime is worth a lifetime of punishment, and I really don't buy the concept that writing bad checks over a certain dollar amount should strip you of a lifetime of voting, self defense, or gainful employment.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I agree with this, and there was a time when it was true. If you were released, you were back on a level playing field with the rest of free society. There have been several generations now that have lived with the idea of "the punishment never really ends" and are used to it. Felons have a harder time finding meaningful employment, for instance. Losing voting rights is another example. One non-violent crime is worth a lifetime of punishment, and I really don't buy the concept that writing bad checks over a certain dollar amount should strip you of a lifetime of voting, self defense, or gainful employment.

You are mixing government-based (voting, self defense) and reputational-based (employment) consequences. Although it might have been easier to escape your reputation at one point, being a known criminal has always carried social consequences, even before governments existed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    West Virginians can "conceal carry" without permits on May 26, 2016 to become one of many states to do so. And they've been able to open carry without permits for years. IN is far behind. Just look around at the bold teens without regard to laws or life. We need it now more than ever. I had my personal protection permit for years because it used to be a requirement for hunting with handguns. No longer need a permit to use for hunting so let it lapse a few years ago. We need that type of flexibility so we can protect ourselves and loved ones without the wait, the costs and stone walling "clerks" that make applying just down right unpleasant. I don't want to carry all the time. But on occasions I feel the need and wish I had it or better it's not required.:(
    Unlike you, I carry all the time, as long as, it is allowed. I never considered the license or the process to be a burden. I don't use the acts of lawless individuals as a measuring stick. I like licensing as a tool for law officers to be able to make an arrest based solely on a person carrying unlicensed.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    FYI: Florida "s****". They are obsessed with their MUST be "concealed".
    You MUST completely conceal. Residents obsess with holsters and the clothes that completely hide your weapon
    so you can not even make out "outline" of weapon.

I know 6 civilians that live in Florida, that carry everyday, and they don't Obsess over the printing bit. Learn how to dress, and carry on.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I know 6 civilians that live in Florida, that carry everyday, and they don't Obsess over the printing bit. Learn how to dress, and carry on.
    Only did a compare and contrast when poster commented that I should get a "Florida license".
    Since I live in Indiana "dress" doesn't have a dar n thing to do with it.
    Unless you wear a dress and carry, but YMMV

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Unlike you, I carry all the time, as long as, it is allowed. I never considered the license or the process to be a burden. I don't use the acts of lawless individuals as a measuring stick. I like licensing as a tool for law officers to be able to make an arrest based solely on a person carrying unlicensed.
    Not a good reason.
    Prosecution for M, carry is not very common.
    Usually, have violent felons and locals don't even refer it upstairs.
    Justice system is broken, but topic for another time & place.
    I'm just not goin to Be like Mikie. LOL YMMV

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    to: mcgrease08
    Risk prosecution selling handguns or handgun ammo to those under 21.
    Have a duty to determine or infer residency and age.
    Go ahead, it's done and YMMV
    have a great time with that,

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not a good reason.
    Prosecution for M, carry is not very common.
    Usually, have violent felons and locals don't even refer it upstairs.
    Justice system is broken, but topic for another time & place.
    I'm just not goin to Be like Mikie. LOL YMMV
    Sorry, but I cannot make a reply to your attempted response. Maybe you could actually state your opinions with complete sentences and thoughts. Maybe that was your problem with dealing with the clerk. Anyway, I stand by my comments.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5).

Unlicensed persons*may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition*to any person the transferor has reasonable cause to believe is**under age*18, with certain*exceptions*

It's completely legal for a private resident of Indiana to sell to another resident of Indiana age 18 or older. Please educate yourself about the law. Based on this and other comments in this thread, you're clearly a little fuzzy on what the law actual says.

to: mcgrease08
    Risk prosecution selling handguns or handgun ammo to those under 21.
    Have a duty to determine or infer residency and age.
    Go ahead, it's done and YMMV
    have a great time with that,

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Buy a shack in IN for $5k, call it your "primary residence," .....Profit???

Having lived in UT, MO, IL, IN, and now MI, I can say that IN is pretty gun friendly
    I *would* really like to see constitutional carry, but I gladly accept our (realtively) easy process of getting a lifetime LTCH -- get it before it goes away!

Yes, there's a fee and it takes some time, but I like knowing that those that go through the process are vetted in some way (clean background).
    I also LOVE the open/concealed option given with the LTCH.

I am getting ready to get my MI CWP soon, and am quickly finding out that it had a lot of extra restrictions, higher fees, required training, 5 yr shelf life, etc.

fatback mike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I don't mind the permit, although I think it's a little burdensome. I do think some folks just shouldn't have firearms. Mentally ill and those who are just plain stupid. The problem is, where do you draw the line. The State could make it alot easier to get a license

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't mind the permit, although I think it's a little burdensome. I do think some folks just shouldn't have firearms. Mentally ill and those who are just plain stupid. The problem is, where do you draw the line. The State could make it alot easier to get a license

:rockwoot:50! :rockwoot:

Whatcha buy?

Top Bottom