• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ohhhhh, so you're assuming that somebody who saw the bust, and did not know that Lincoln (the guy on the $5 bill) freed the slaves, decided to burn it because they thought it was a "Confederate" statue. Gotcha. Hmmmm.... I wonder if someone might also want to burn the statue because Lincoln did free the slaves, and they have been upset at the removal and vandalism of actual Confederate statues. I guess it depends on which narrative you want to believe. Personally, I have no idea.

tommy-lee-jones-disappointment.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    First of all- South Side of Chicago.

Second, Kut makes a good point. It does seem more plausible....or people are just burnin' stuff because. That anyone burned it because they thought Lincoln was a confederate? Seems implausible.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Nah, the antifa are patriot hero's. :rolleyes:

No one said that, but regardless of viewpoint, a wimp doesn't enter the violent fray...normally.

This idea that every bad characteristic applies to everyone we don't agree with doesn't make sense.

I'll refer you to the Nancy Pelosi hotness discussion.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A different report suggested that the people around there may have damaged it back on July 4 by setting fireworks off of it.

The alderman's suggestion that the damage was new might be unfounded. Heaven forbid there might be a political motivation for depicting the damage a certain way.

Another person said that the dilapidated state of the statue (which is actually fairly recently placed there, I believe) reflects the larger blight in that neighborhood.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Second, Kut makes a good point. It does seem more plausible....or people are just burnin' stuff because. That anyone burned it because they thought Lincoln was a confederate? Seems implausible.

You will be the few to acknowledge that point. I consider myself fairly educated, but it was years before I actually understood who Lincoln actually was. Prior to that, you couldn't say an ill word about the guy around me, and not expect to be given grief. In a predominantly black area of town, where people possibly aren't aware of Lincoln's history, the destruction of his statue would be a pretty significant act, and seen as purposefully attempting to enrage the black populace.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Camp Douglas was at 35th and the lake. There's over 6000 Confederate soldiers from that camp buried at Oak Wood Cemetery around 63rd and Cottage Grove. Chicago pastor's are trying to get Jackson and Washington Parks renamed as both Presidents owned slaves. Didn't Lincoln have a post war "send em back to Africa" fund? Africa had logistical problems involved so Central America was adopted as the destination.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Maybe, but . . .

Antifa Rioters Defaced a Peace Monument Thinking It's a Confederate Statue. It's Not. | MRCTV

Then you have the "**** Law" graffiti on the Lincoln Memorial, and then you have the statue that was torn down in Durham. That was actually dedicated to conscripted members of the Confederate Army, IE, draftees, who were pressed into service under threat of hanging. (No lie - the CSA actually had roving press gangs behind the lines to round up anyone suspected of desertion or draft dodging.)

So, no, the monument mashers don't seem to have a whole lot of historical nuance.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm almost with them on that SOB.

There was a time I would've agreed. But I do not now. There's a speech he gave that changed my entire opinion of him.
    -On a side note, I always considered Sally Fields' character in Gump a racist. How could I not?

Top Bottom