• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    1. Please..I repeat, please do not use the $1 $20 $50 or the $100 bills as they have former slave owners on them! Send them all to me and I will dispose of them properly! Do not just throw them away. They need to be disposed of properly and I am a certified money disposer. Rest assured I know how to make money disappear! Thank you for your cooperation.

Copied from a friend

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Mount Rushmore is about 500 miles past B.F. Egypt in the middle of nowhere. You have to make a real effort to see it. If it offends you so much simply don't go see it.

But, but, but...

[video=youtube;ZcIlpLt0h0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIlpLt0h0c[/video]

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    First of all- South Side of Chicago.

Second, Kut makes a good point. It does seem more plausible....or people are just burnin' stuff because. That anyone burned it because they thought Lincoln was a confederate? Seems implausible.

He associated with known confederates like John Booth and was always on Robert Lee's case!!!

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    CPD says Lincoln bust was not a memorial but a decoration put up in a gas station in 1926. The gas station is long gone and the bust has been vandalized over the years by morons.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At some point, does the removal of the Confederate statutes and monuments become white-washing?

I mean, they are a part of our shared history, and should be understood as such.

My impression is not that these statues are somehow venerated. I don't recall any stories or experiences with people going on a pilgrimage to any Robert E. Lee statuary. Heck, by today's standards, I'm pretty sure Elvis would not be considered "racially aware enough," so do we take down Graceland? (Which, by the way, is actually a kinda cool place to visit.)

This movement really strikes me as a further deepening of the cultural schism in the US. No longer can we respect someone for what they did do, while acknowledging their failings or faults. They are either with us or agin' us.

This really sucks.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    ^ There are many things you can respect some one for but when they were for or defended a state that represents racism hard to defend that. That is not what most would consider a normal failing by any means. Hard to equate that to something say like adultry.

If it were then maybe Germany might have more statues they could look at and celebrate with regards to their heritage from WWII.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Not sure if this merits another thread, but . . .

Council president suggests conversation about Confederate monument in Indy park - Local News - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

From Wiki:

"A granite shaft is dedicated to the 1,616 Confederate soldiers who died at the Camp Morton prison camp. The monument originally was erected in 1912 in the old Greenlawn Cemetery where the soldiers had been buried. When that cemetery was later closed, the remains of the soldiers were moved between 1928 and 1933 to Crown Hill Cemetery."
    <sigh>

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ^ There are many things you can respect some one for but when they were for or defended a state that represents racism hard to defend that. That is not what most would consider a normal failing by any means. Hard to equate that to something say like adultry.
    Thank you for disagreeing.

They answered the call to serve their country, in a war that was by no means as simple as is taught today. Nor am I equating it with adultery, although that's an interesting choice for a counter-example.

Rather, the Confederate generals were born Americans and died Americans (for the most part). The Civil War is arguably the most defining part of American history, and what it means to be an American. Those people had a role in that. Many, even an honorable one.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ^They answered the call not unlike the Germans during WWII. Don't see many defending or standing up for them.

Speaking of equivalencies, you are saying that the institution of slavery is the same as the Final Solution?

Just trying to get a handle on your rationale.

Top Bottom