• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Forrest gave this speech in 1875 to a Black Civil Rights group:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God’s earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don’t propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I’ll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand.” (Prolonged applause.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There was a time I would've agreed. But I do not now. There's a speech he gave that changed my entire opinion of him.
    -On a side note, I always considered Sally Fields' character in Gump a racist. How could I not?
    On the first point, what speech is that? Now you have me curious. [ETA - just saw your post, and repped you for it.]

On the second, that character was a product of her environment. Older members of my family, who I love and respect for many wonderful qualities, share (or shared as the case may be) some of that character's perspective.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    On the first point, what speech is that? Now you have me curious.

On the second, that character was a product of her environment. Older members of my family, who I love and respect for many wonderful qualities, share (or shared as the case may be) some of that character's perspective.

See above, I posted it. I fully believe that some people have a "come to Jesus" moment in their lives, and change in their hearts. Forrest, Wallace, and X seem to be legitimate cases of this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Forrest gave this speech in 1875 to a Black Civil Rights group:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God’s earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don’t propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I’ll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand.” (Prolonged applause.)

Well, if that is an accurate reflection of his heart, I stand corrected. I'll always leave room for repentence.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    See above, I posted it. I fully believe that some people have a "come to Jesus" moment in their lives, and change in their hearts. Forrest, Wallace, and X seem to be legitimate cases of this.
    In the case of Thurmond, perhaps echoing Forrest, the women involved might play a key role. ;)

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    IANAL That said, isn't destruction of public or private property of the magnitude we are seeing a felony? If so, isn't the use of deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony legal? I think the Durham Sheriff is a real wimp with his BS about keeping people safe. Those antifa clowns decided to abandon safety when they broke the law by taking over the street without a permit. So much for "protect and serve". My guess is the liberal mayor told him to leave the rioters alone. None of the people that goof ran down with his car would have been run down if they weren't breaking the law. Play stupid games...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    IANAL That said, isn't destruction of public or private property of the magnitude we are seeing a felony? If so, isn't the use of deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony legal? I think the Durham Sheriff is a real wimp with his BS about keeping people safe. Those antifa clowns decided to abandon safety when they broke the law by taking over the street without a permit. So much for "protect and serve". My guess is the liberal mayor told him to leave the rioters alone. None of the people that goof ran down with his car would have been run down if they weren't breaking the law. Play stupid games...

Lol, some people are just itching to find reasons to shoot someone. If someone is pulling down a statue, in what world do you think it's ok to shoot at them? The logic to justify such, is absolutely mind-boggling. I tell you what. If you see someone rob and old lady, knock her out, put her under a statue, and then attempt to pull down the statue on. top of her, you have my blessings to shoot the bastard.

Forcible Felony, that's what you're looking for.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Lol, some people are just itching to find reasons to shoot someone. If someone is pulling down a statue, in what world do you think it's ok to shoot at them? The logic to justify such, is absolutely mind-boggling. I tell you what. If you see someone rob and old lady, knock her out, put her under a statue, and then attempt to pull down the statue on. top of her, you have my blessings to shoot the bastard.

Forcible Felony, that's what you're looking for.

I'm not gonna SERIOUSLY say im GONNA shoot anyone if I wasn't there in that situation myself however, someone young punching an old lady probably would fit the bill by itself. I hope I'm not put in that position

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    At some point statues won't be enough. Mob mentality will set in and a car will get turned over, then a building will be set fire. This is going to get much worse before it gets better.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    At some point statues won't be enough. Mob mentality will set in and a car will get turned over, then a building will be set fire. This is going to get much worse before it gets better.

At some point the people who pay taxes are gonna be fed up with the people who don't and consume without giving back tearing **** up. And yep it will get ugly

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think people are wanting to "riot".
    They aren't rich, so BURN DOWN THE WORLD.
    The statue doesn't matter.
    The reason doesn't matter.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    This crap has to stop.All of it.So some is acceptable,but some is not?Bullsiht.If someone would accept any of it,then I am sure they would light the first pile of BAD books.After the books,what next? Time to have my kids read 1984.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This crap has to stop.All of it.So some is acceptable,but some is not?Bullsiht.If someone would accept any of it,then I am sure they would light the first pile of BAD books.After the books,what next? Time to have my kids read 1984.

And Farenheit 451.

Top Bottom