• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can't believe how expensive blinds (window coverings) are! We live in a mid-century home (read lot's of windows and odd sizes) so we are doing just a couple windows at a time. The room darkening versions really get us. It's like $200 to do one window set in our bedroom and we have three!

This is why I only own 1 gun.:cool:

But I'm okay. It's an investment that I will recoup when I sell the house. Just like the rest of the renovations.

Just staple some old sheets up over the windows and buy another 1911.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    New to guns but I might already have the bug.
    Have only been shooting twice with my SP101 and bearcat, but thinking I might like a semi automatic.
    Thinking 9MM due to cost of ammo.
    I see that Glock is pretty much the "go to" for several great reasons, but at the risk of sounding silly I just don't find them visually attractive.
    I have been looking at the Ruger 1911.
    Not looking for a conceal carry or home defense piece. Just want to go shoot and have fun.
    Feedback?

1. Enjoyed reading the thread here.
    2. I've only been around for less than 2 yrs. and I was where you are asking about a 1911.
    3. There are some really great guys here who are telling you all the things that I heard, sharing the benefit of their, "been there, done that."
    4. I started out with a used $600 Ruger SS, large 1911 and enjoyed it, but sold it after having my fun with it (as is my custom, which I get a little good-natured grief for it). It was a great entry-level 1911, as others have mentioned.
    5. Later, I bought the Ruger Officer 1911 9mm and really liked it. Bought it for $600 as well and just sold it recently. I didn't see that gun come up often for sale so I was glad to get it. If I would have needed it for a CC, I would have kept it.
    6. I shot others at the range: Kimber and a Dan Wesson, both lovely guns. I especially remember liking any Kimber I ever shot of any caliber.
    7. Good luck with your search. In my case spending twice the money for a "better" gun would not bring me joy at the time.
    At the time I just wasn't experienced enough to want to put too much money in any one gun. Since then I have spent twice the price on a gun I really love but it wasn't a 1911. You will find much love for the 1911 here and get great insight.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yowza, $200 a window?!? I'm over $1200 for both floors, but mine are more like $60 average per window, with doubles being not quite twice that. It's a racket, but my stripper wife likes her privacy I guess.

Yeah, the windows are 7' wide. For non-bedrooms I get the non-darkening shades and they are much less. Usually around $140 for those windows. I have to get two shades for that width.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    1. Enjoyed reading the thread here.
    2. I've only been around for less than 2 yrs. and I was where you are asking about a 1911.
    3. There are some really great guys here who are telling you all the things that I heard, sharing the benefit of their, "been there, done that."
    4. I started out with a used $600 Ruger SS, large 1911 and enjoyed it, but sold it after having my fun with it (as is my custom, which I get a little good-natured grief for it). It was a great entry-level 1911, as others have mentioned.
    5. Later, I bought the Ruger Officer 1911 9mm and really liked it. Bought it for $600 as well and just sold it recently. I didn't see that gun come up often for sale so I was glad to get it. If I would have needed it for a CC, I would have kept it.
    6. I shot others at the range: Kimber and a Dan Wesson, both lovely guns. I especially remember liking any Kimber I ever shot of any caliber.
    7. Good luck with your search. In my case spending twice the money for a "better" gun would not bring me joy at the time.
    At the time I just wasn't experienced enough to want to put too much money in any one gun. Since then I have spent twice the price on a gun I really love but it wasn't a 1911. You will find much love for the 1911 here and get great insight.

Thank you for your insightful wisdom.
    I believe that you are right when you say that i couldn't appreciate the top of the line stuff. Plus i would cheat myself out of the "my next one" fun and anticipation.
    Also it is my experience that the new guy with the best gear and no talent gets little respect.
    I think that a $6-$800 gun is best. Will put me into a decent quality gun. I know that cheap gear can ruin the experience and turn people off of a hobby/sport.
    Thanks to all for your input, and fun sarcasm. I like the family feel of this place.
    Will keep you posted.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    By the way, when i first got here you were going to lean out your safe.
    All i see is you buying more stuff.
    You may have a problem
    I like that in a guy.
    Enjoy :cool:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for your insightful wisdom.
    I believe that you are right when you say that i couldn't appreciate the top of the line stuff. Plus i would cheat myself out of the "my next one" fun and anticipation.
    Also it is my experience that the new guy with the best gear and no talent gets little respect.
    I think that a $6-$800 gun is best. Will put me into a decent quality gun. I know that cheap gear can ruin the experience and turn people off of a hobby/sport.
    Thanks to all for your input, and fun sarcasm. I like the family feel of this place.
    Will keep you posted.

1. I love it here on INGO: pure entertainment for me.

By the way, when i first got here you were going to lean out your safe.
    All i see is you buying more stuff.
    You may have a problem
    I like that in a guy.
    Enjoy :cool:

2. Yes, I talk of trimming, sell a couple of guns, then turn around and buy yet another. :dunno:
    3. I'm sure my wife thinks I need an intervention. :laugh:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive shot 10's of 1000's of rounds through 1911's. i'm not really a plinker, nor do i spend much time punching holes in paper. ive been shooting USPSA since the mid 90's.
    IMHO the 1911 platform requires much more "trigger time" to develop the "muscle memory" than any other pistol.

for some people that may be a problem with range time, and ammo costs.
    i went from shooting bowling pins with a ruger P90DC, to a 1911 and it took me a while to get used to the 1911.

YMMV

:cheers:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just staple some old sheets up over the windows and buy another 1911.
    ^This^ Go with the economy widow coverings. You can always update later when the funds allow.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^This^ Go with the economy widow coverings. You can always update later when the funds allow.

These are not high end products. Lowes in-stock stuff,lol. Plus I am a buy once, cry once type of person. And as big as this home reno is, I don't want to do things twice. I'm almost five years in with another 1.5 to go...hopefully!

But I do appreciate your support in not forgetting about spending money on guns!:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If you are NEW to handling a firearm.
    You are looking into something you will be happy and comfortable with using.
    I would like to suggest waiting for and attending the NRA convention April 26, 27 and 28 in Indianapolis.
    You will leave with tired hand for all the handling you will experience.

Cardsfan29315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    New Albany
    Handle a few different ones and see what feels and works best for you. It’s hard to go wrong with a 1911 but I personally think it’s hard to go wrong with most CZ’s also. I’ve got 12-15 and they all fit my hand well so I think it’s just personal preference.
    I do happen to agree with you though that Glocks are not very attractive guns

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    Went out and touched a few of these at lunch.
    They only had Springfields and Kimbers in 9MM. The 9s seem a little less popular
    Both felt great.
    Liked the look/feel of the Kimber Stainless Target II the best

https://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-target-ii

My game plan is to find 3 or 4 that I like the look/feel of and then shoot them before I make my decision.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Went out and touched a few of these at lunch.
    They only had Springfields and Kimbers in 9MM. The 9s seem a little less popular
    Both felt great.
    Liked the look/feel of the Kimber Stainless Target II the best

https://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-target-ii

My game plan is to find 3 or 4 that I like the look/feel of and then shoot them before I make my decision.

I will take some heat for this but you need to go with the springer.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Kimber TLE-II is a great all around every day carry. Not that I'm biased or anything. Here's mine below, slightly customized. As already mentioned, they are addictive. This is one of 4 that I own. Two Kimbers and 2 Wilson Combats. Others have come and gone along the way.

rimg.php

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I will take some heat for this but you need to go with the springer.

i agree with you.
    seems like anything that has Kimber on it automatically raises the price.

i have zero experience with kimber, most of my 1911's have been springfields.
    i still shoot a springfield 45 at USPSA. my stock/carry 45 is a norinco

:cheers:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    IMO, Rock Island Armory 1911 is best bang for the buck. And you'll probably leave the idiot mark on it during the first disassembly/reassembly. Great gun to learn on.

And it really doesn't matter which one you get, since many more will follow.

Top Bottom