• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend of mine had what I thought was a good perspective: since he owns CZ's he doesn't feel the need to venture into 1911 territory. One of the CZ's he has is set up as single action only, it's a steel gun so he's just sticking with his CZ.

Something to think about.

I prefer the 1911 but that is mostly because I am very familiar with them and for me CZ's have a higher level of complexity. I do most all my own work on my firearms but when I owned a Shadow, I never took it down past a field strip.

Sure, I could learn how to detail strip one, but I decided to not go down that road.

According to what I hear and read, you will "tinker" less with a CZ than a 1911.

I tinker with mine (CZ's) but not a lot. I know a guy so as you said, I let him do it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    The light CZ tuning I've done myself has been with the CGW "Ultralight Kit". Extended firing pin, firing pin spring, reduced power firing pin block spring, and mainspring. Oh, and installing FO front sights. None of this is any more/less complicated than what I've done with my 1911s. True, this is a far as I go myself with my CZ pistols, but it gives me results I'm happy with.

For a long time I considered my CZs "Euro-1911s" (as someone else kind of mentioned upthread), so it took me a while to venture into 1911 territory myself. I still think this is a decent analogy. And I like both!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Ok, I don't know anyone who has a Dan Wesson, but it sounds like I need to find one to shoot before I make any decisions!
    2. Very interesting, I didn't know that about Kimbers. I don't like to tinker with my guns (other than normal teardowns and cleaning).
    3. I've shot a couple of CZs in years past, but I don't have one myself and I don't know much about their product line. I'll have to educate myself and check out that Shadow 2.
    Thanks for the advice!
    1. The CZs will make you lose interest in a 1911 (imo), and if you ever get to try a CZ Shadow, you will not "settle" for a 1911. :rockwoot:
    2. I'm just kidding, but I do love my Shadow 2 much more than my Ruger 1911SR .45acp that I had briefly.

A friend of mine had what I thought was a good perspective: since he owns CZ's he doesn't feel the need to venture into 1911 territory. One of the CZ's he has is set up as single action only, it's a steel gun so he's just sticking with his CZ.
    Something to think about.

3. Totally agree, and that is what I did as well.

I prefer the 1911 but that is mostly because I am very familiar with them and for me CZ's have a higher level of complexity. I do most all my own work on my firearms but when I owned a Shadow, I never took it down past a field strip.
    Sure, I could learn how to detail strip one, but I decided to not go down that road.
    According to what I hear and read, you will "tinker" less with a CZ than a 1911.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    I had a Springfield Range Officer that was awesome, had the classic 1911 look with wood grips and shot great! If I was to get another 1911 I'd be looking into Para Ordnance but not sure if they're in your price range or not.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was under the impression that Para’s were to be avoided after they were acquired. Never had one but that was my impression based upon comments.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    I was under the impression that Para’s were to be avoided after they were acquired. Never had one but that was my impression based upon comments.

Yea I knew they were acquired by Freedom Group or whatever they're called a few years ago and then some of their pistols were "re-released" with a Remington branding however Para still has a full website without any mention of any other company as well as their full line of pistols so I don't know if that's just old and hasn't been taken down or if there's been other progress within the company. I'm curious to see if anyone here knows anything else about them.

If that is the case and they're still garbage after being acquired then guess I'll just go pluck a few dollars off my money tree and pick up a Wilson Combat :crying::crying::crying:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yea I knew they were acquired by Freedom Group or whatever they're called a few years ago and then some of their pistols were "re-released" with a Remington branding however Para still has a full website without any mention of any other company as well as their full line of pistols so I don't know if that's just old and hasn't been taken down or if there's been other progress within the company. I'm curious to see if anyone here knows anything else about them.

If that is the case and they're still garbage after being acquired then guess I'll just go pluck a few dollars off my money tree and pick up a Wilson Combat :crying::crying::crying:

STAY AWAY FROM THE NEW PARA OFFERINGS>

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I saw someone on FB had a WC CQB on sale... if it wasn't in Indy I might have inquired further. I hear they are a nice model.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    There’s just something about a good ole 1911. Polymer striker fired guns are lighter, argue ably more dependable and a sign of the times but the 1911 will never be obsolete in my opinion

Top Bottom