Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    It's easy to not talk about what you do when you only post 167 times.
    Wait till you get a couple thousand, and see if no one knows what you do for a living.

Why would I talk about what I do for a living, ever? It doesn't matter If I have 10 post or 10,000, my job is pretty boring and uneventful. For all of that matter, my life is pretty boring. Maybe one day I will have thousands of post and I will be able to point out to all of the rookies how smart I am because I post so much on gun forums.:):

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Why would I talk about what I do for a living, ever? It doesn't matter If I have 10 post or 10,000, my job is pretty boring and uneventful. For all of that matter, my life is pretty boring. Maybe one day I will have thousands of post and I will be able to point out to all of the rookies how smart I am because I post so much on gun forums.:):
    Some people like what they do for a living. Either way...I don't see a problem with it.

If I were a gynecologist...I'd take out a full page add in the newspaper. Freelancing doesn't pay enough for advertising expenses.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

This is certainly much better than talking about what you do for a living. :)

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    ...to do an inspection on my new sailboat. It's a YFlyer, pretty nice boat. Anyways, I'm open-carrying as usual and the officer does his thing with the boat and then turns to me and says "How about next time an officer comes out to your house, you leave the pistol in the house." I tell him that "With all due respect sir, I am on private property." Then he says that he understands that, but "Someone carrying a gun makes an officer nervous." I told him thank you for the advice and have a nice day.

I'm saddened that the public and officers are so nervous at the idea of law-abiding people carrying. He was very professional, so no complaints there. He was simply offering his opinion.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this sad view that people have of gun owners?
    I probably would have, respectfully mind you, told him that I agree and seeing HIM carrying a gun makes me nervous too.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    and soldiers? They should be placed on par with the fisherman that loses his life because it's simply a "job?" :dunno:

I don't really think any job-related death is any more, or less, tragic than any other.

Should we consider cops and/or soldiers somehow LESS heroic when they are killed on the job than those who die at higher rates in more dangerous professions?

When anyone applies for a job, they take into consideration as many aspects of the job as they can find out. Presumably, people who apply to be police know, or should know, that there is an element of danger. If they accept the job when it is offered, they are acknowledging that they understand the danger, and are willing to accept that risk.

I'm not trying to minimize the job the police officers do because I GREATLY respect the good ones, but to claim that their on-the-job deaths are more tragic than anyone else's on-the-job death is pretty cold-hearted. They are NOT "giving their life" for the common good. They are willing to accept a greater risk that their life will be TAKEN FROM THEM BY FORCE by the thugs. While I agree that any thug who would shoot a police officer should be eliminated from the gene pool, I think the same thing should happen to any thug who is willing to shoot any innocent citizen during a robbery. Being shot while responding to a call is no more "giving his life for his community" than the McDonald's worker who is murdered by some thug robbing the place for $20.

I'd say that a much more tragic on-the-job death would be one where the job is assumed to be 100% safe, but some ghastly event happens and results in a totally unexpected death. A receptionist is killed by a freak telephone explosion, for example.

Just my :twocents:

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    It's about being part of the "community". I've spent hundreds(?) of hours in the PW thread. (Well, before things 'turned'). BSing with the guys about NOTHING.

It's about helping out fellow gun owners and friends. What if someone has a question about how to wire a three-way switch. If you are an electrician, "friendliness" would obligate you to tell him how to do it. Then, oh my goodness, everyone might know you are an electrician!! Does it make a difference? Really?
    I might see if you were a lawyer not wanting everyone to ask your opinion about every little legal thing they have on their mind....but then wouldn't being a 'friend' relegate you to not asking someone a Professional question if you don't know them well enough.

Maybe you are looking to get something else out of the Forum. Maybe you are happy to just be one of the "audience". I prefer to be in the middle, not that I know diddle-squat about guns!

Different forums are different. Other forums I'm on have a much more "homey" feel to them. (No, not 'homie' feel. Werd.) I like them better. As an example: Earlier this spring I was going to plant corn, not being a farmer, and knowing others on the forum were, I asked a question. But this is a "gun forum". So it is, and we talk a lot about guns. But I'm made a lot of friends there too, and I was looking for input from them, from a "knowledge base" that I knew would have the answer.

Maybe I just don't have enough "real" friends, but I don't see what the big deal is about letting anyone know what you do. Unless you're an ATF agent or in witness protection or something.....

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Seriously? I definitely agree that both are tragic, and probably equally painful to the families and friends of the deceased, but in my little world, there is a definite difference when someone knowingly, willingly risks his/her life for others vs. is the victim of an unfortunate accident. But that's just me, I'm old-fashioned like that.

So, in your opinion, the people most worthy of hero worship must be coal miners, fly-riggers, and steel workers?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You bet I look around to see what people are doing and saying on other site. I could care less about what anyone says or thinks about me...not even a little bit.

And no I don't think this board should be a LEO love fest as you call it. But it does get annoying when it is always the same very select few that feels the need to make daily threads and posts that are clearly anti LEO. Something I do think is that many if not most of those select are either criminals that got busted, someone who wants to get into the LE profession and cannot or a combination of both. They live their life to surf the web to find any and all things that cast a bad light on LE as a whole. It is more than obvious.

WHAT!!?? If I were the type to hand out neg reps, you'd get one for that. You honestly just said that anyone who doesn't give you the respect and worship you think you deserve is a criminal or a cop wannabe? REALLY???

You complain that civilians generalize about cops, and then you spew some nonsense like that??? That rates really high on the Crap-O-Meter.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Who cares about this "hero" title anyway? People who commit heroic acts don't do it for a title. Sometimes a situation arises and a person makes a snap decision to act on the behalf of someone else. They don't think about being called a hero and their career choice at the time doesn't make a bit of difference. Every member of a certain profession isn't automatically a hero because of that career choice. The moment he/she makes the decision to risk life and limb for the good of another, that's when his/her actions become heroic.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Please then someone tell me that the loss of the five officers in Seattle wasn't a tragedy. Remember the ones starting their computers in a coffee shop gunned down by some half-wit. I know that the life of an iron worker, a nurse, a coal miner is just as important..yes just as important. All officers know that one day they could be killed on the job but they do it because they have an honest wish (most fooicers) to make this place a little bit better and safer for everyone. I still have that wish after 30+ years.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    POC, Not trying to put you down for what you do or how much you post. I hope you like your job. I used to like mine, but time changes everything. I like guns a lot, so much so that I was going to buy a gun store, but I didn't want my hobby to turn into a job. I for one don't dislike the police, don't really care about all of the bashing, my only point is, if you don't tell people what you do for a living, than they can't critize you for it. I understand pride, I'm proud of myself and my family what we do for a living.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Not wanting to get anything started or pour fuel on any fires that are already burning, but why would you get on a gun site and start talking about what you do for a living? I don't talk about my profession, so I'm not subjecting myself to ridicule. Nothing against police, firemen, electricians, plumbers, cashiers, lawyers, stock boys, etc., you get my point, if we are on this site we probably are gun owners, that is the one common thread, what does it matter what you do for a living, so why brag about it, brag about the new gun you just bought, that's what this site is for, discuss gun related issues not what you do for a living.

The telling of my occupation resulted from responding to questions about LE matters that were asked by people looking for answers. Also you are correct about this being a gun owners site. That is why I am a member here. I love guns. But there is a small but very vocal segment of members on this this site that are clearly anti government and anti LE. That is just about all they post about. I for one an not the kind of person that sits idly by and let those few throw their garbage out as fact and not respond to the often ridiculous threads.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The name of this site is "Indiana Gun Owners".
    If you'd remove your cranium from your rectum you'd notice that EVERY Cop in the State falls into that category. :n00b:
    And, believe it or not, most of them would agree completely with the vast majority of pro gun posts made here.
    However they will not express their support if they have to dodge the bashing crap at every turn.

That's understandable. Just the same as having a cop call people "criminals and cop wannabes" because they don't bow before him. I would guess it doesn't foster much mutual respect from either side, does it?

From watching (mostly) from the sidelines, it looks like here's what it boils down to the two sides saying to each other:

The citizen says to the cop: "You are a public servant, you should obey the Constitution, and you should understand when citizens recoil at unconstitutional laws. Your authority emanates from The People, and therefore cannot be superior to them."

The cop says to the citizen: "I am more important than you, and I WILL have your respect, or else."

Do you see the disconnect? It's why these ALWAYS turn into an 'us v. them' argument. The two sides aren't debating A SPECIFIC POINT. The two sides won't even agree on what point to debate. So, how can it ever be concluded?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    WHAT!!?? If I were the type to hand out neg reps, you'd get one for that. You honestly just said that anyone who doesn't give you the respect and worship you think you deserve is a criminal or a cop wannabe? REALLY???

You complain that civilians generalize about cops, and then you spew some nonsense like that??? That rates really high on the Crap-O-Meter.

Hey man you can negative rep away on me. It makes no matter to me what so ever what my rep status is. I also do not recall writing a single word about someone that doesn't respect me or my oath of office. Where did that come from? My point was there are a select few people on this site than do nothing but look up negative stuff on LE and post it. Most of those people's post's are clearly along that line. That my friend is a person with deep seated hatred for LE. That hatred comes from some where and it is not normal by any means. Typically those type of people are persons with criminal records or some other reason as to why they hate anything and everything LE. Perhaps you can explain it to me because I would really like to know.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Nope I have met jbombelli. Pretty sure he is half a jerk. :D I kid, I kid.

Funny thing is I have also met J706 and these two would probably get along if a 6 pack were involved.

That's the funny thing. On a personal level, in off-duty situations, I've found MOST cops to be really fun people to hang out with. Some of the people I consider to be "friends" are really good cops, from what I can tell. Some others, also "friends" I just KNOW are not the sort of cop I appreciate. The sad part is that cops tend to hang out only with other cops, so we never get to see them when they are off-duty. The only time we encounter them, is when they are in uniform, and if there is any contact, they are suspicious and want to be "in charge."

Maybe we need a "take an off-duty cop to lunch" event.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    It's easy to not talk about what you do when you only post 167 times.
    Wait till you get a couple thousand, and see if no one knows what you do for a living.

HA!! Nobody knows what I do for a living. Although, according to J607, I've either gotten kicked out of the police academy, or a rob convenience stores for a living.

Top Bottom