Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The sad part is that cops tend to hang out only with other cops, so we never get to see them when they are off-duty.

This is not true for every cop. Sure I have my cop friends, but I also have a lot of non-cop friends that I make a point to hang out with as much as I can. I try to leave work at work and that is hard to do when I hang out with other cops, and all we do is talk about work. By hanging out with non-cops I can talk about whatever and every conversation doesn't have to be about the job.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    HA!! Nobody knows what I do for a living. Although, according to J607, I've either gotten kicked out of the police academy, or a rob convenience stores for a living.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I've met you in person. The robbing convenience stores thing is entirely possible... :)

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    This is not true for every cop. Sure I have my cop friends, but I also have a lot of non-cop friends that I make a point to hang out with as much as I can. I try to leave work at work and that is hard to do when I hang out with other cops, and all we do is talk about work. By hanging out with non-cops I can talk about whatever and every conversation doesn't have to be about the job.

I'm glad to hear that! I think it can make a huge difference in overall attitude and perspective. My impression of you is that you'd be a fun guy to hang out with, as well as a good cop. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I think some cops have trouble distancing themselves from their job, and since they encounter a much higher percentage of criminals or crime on a daily basis than the rest of us, it skews their perspective. For those that socialize mostly with other cops, they are then immersed with others who are talking about the criminals and crime that they encountered. I think this not only reinforces the somewhat natural "us vs. them" attitude that can arise when people of one profession or interest spend too much time isolating themselves, but also gives the impression that criminals are more prevalent among the citizenry.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm glad to hear that! I think it can make a huge difference in overall attitude and perspective. My impression of you is that you'd be a fun guy to hang out with, as well as a good cop. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I think some cops have trouble distancing themselves from their job, and since they encounter a much higher percentage of criminals or crime on a daily basis than the rest of us, it skews their perspective. For those that socialize mostly with other cops, they are then immersed with others who are talking about the criminals and crime that they encountered. I think this not only reinforces the somewhat natural "us vs. them" attitude that can arise when people of one profession or interest spend too much time isolating themselves, but also gives the impression that criminals are more prevalent among the citizenry.

Its was harder to distance myself from the job when I was younger and just starting out because of how new and awesome being a cop was. When I had a little time on and the newness wore off it was a lot easier to distance myself from anything cop-related.

Only hanging out with other cops doesn't necessarily give the impression that criminals are more prevalent among the citizenry, but it does prevent them from getting to know people that are outside their comfort zone. Some cops are reluctant to make non-cop friends because they may be treated differently once the person finds out they are a cop. Not saying that is right on either side, but I speak from experience and it is difficult to get over.

The hours sound really attractive, but I bet the benefits are lousy.

At least you don't have to pay any income tax.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I thought cops had lots of non-LEO friends. Every stripper I ever met said her boyfriend was a cop. Oh, and she was only dancing to put herself throught college. :laugh::laugh:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm having a purple kind of day.

As opposed to your normal "Blue" day??
    copper.gif

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I will concur with Frank, I rarely hang out with the guys off-duty. There is a select 3 or 4 that we will go to dinner as a group on occasion. Other than that, it is my family I spend 99% of my off-duty time with. I still do have the same core group of friends from high school 20years ago. I do not like hanging around strangers and I don't like talking about work off-duty. It is the rookies that eat-breath the job. That's ok, we want a high spirited rookie so when they settle down they don't turn into loads. If they started off as loads, they settle into being really big loads.

Top Bottom