Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    According to the Indiana Code of Police Suggestions (ICPS)

All persons should make an effort to ensure the comfort and safety of Law Enforcement Officers when:

a: Approached by an Officer

b: In the presence or general vicinity of an Officer

c: Thinking about an Officer

Of course this is all in purple.

Call it bashing if you want but I am more than just a little tired of hearing about Officers who either are not aware of Indiana Gun Laws (or any other laws for that matter) or maybe even worse, know the laws and chose to use their position to force their opinion on a law abiding citizen even if the citizen was doing nothing wrong.

The policies and procedures for public interaction need to be revisited and the leadership needs to assume the role and train their subordinates correctly.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I honestly wouldn't have said anything about him OCing on his property. But, in the back of my mind, I would be asking myself "why" a person at his own residence, would be carrying a weapon on his hip. Obviously this was VIN check, which are low priority calls. Often people wait a good while for an officer to arrive. So it begs the question, was the OP carrying the entire time, prior to the arrival of the officer, or did he "holster up" to see the officer's response and post it here? Inspection was completed "ten minutes ago" well, what do most people do then? They go to the BMV and submit their paperwork, but apparently this was too good a story not to post up first.

Of course, that is all conjecture. The OP may have very well been doing something else, prior, in which he decided to OC, but for a guy like me who has a hard enough time wearing a shirt and shoes around the house, it does make one wonder.... only wonder though, the fact that he was OCing would tend to make me believe he was law abiding, and thus there not being a need to say anything.

It could have been worst for the LEO, instead of OCing, the OP could have been in his SPEEDO waiting for the LEO to show up:D

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I would be asking myself "why" a person at his own residence, would be carrying a weapon on his hip.
    Same damn reason he would be carrying one off his property...for protection.

I love OC threads. I love OC threads. I love OC threads. :D
    Saying it three times may have worked for Dorothy but unfortunately it won't work for you.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    How many citizens have been killed by LEO this year;)
    Why don't you look that up and report back to us???;)
    But be sure to include only those people who's death fit the legal definition of cold blooded murder, like what happened to those Officers, and not self defense or accidental death.
    I'll bet it's less than 38. :)

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've often wondered why some folks insist in injecting personal opinion into an otherwise professional conversation. There are MANY times that I have an issue with how my customers are conducting business, but I keep my trap shut. "Educating" them on my opinion does win me any friends, and I'm not payed to be their friend anyway.

This officer obviously knew OC was legal. There were no issues. Why not just leave it at that? Other than attempting to intimidate someone out of perfectly lawful behavior, what was the point of that comment?

I think the OP handled it find. My response likely would have been similar, or just a "Well, OK, thanks for your time."

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    it is very difficult for a LEO to have "command presence" or be completely in control of the "situation" when he knows he is on private property, is at least matched in firepower, and thinking of how **** poor his shooting to qualify was last time out....

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    it is very difficult for a LEO to have "command presence" or be completely in control of the "situation" when he knows he is on private property, is at least matched in firepower, and thinking of how **** poor his shooting to qualify was last time out....

that about sums it up, LEO was trying to the BIG MAN on private property:D

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I honestly wouldn't have said anything about him OCing on his property. But, in the back of my mind, I would be asking myself "why" a person at his own residence, would be carrying a weapon on his hip. Obviously this was VIN check, which are low priority calls. Often people wait a good while for an officer to arrive. So it begs the question, was the OP carrying the entire time, prior to the arrival of the officer, or did he "holster up" to see the officer's response and post it here? Inspection was completed "ten minutes ago" well, what do most people do then? They go to the BMV and submit their paperwork, but apparently this was too good a story not to post up first.

Of course, that is all conjecture. The OP may have very well been doing something else, prior, in which he decided to OC, but for a guy like me who has a hard enough time wearing a shirt and shoes around the house, it does make one wonder.... only wonder though, the fact that he was OCing would tend to make me believe he was law abiding, and thus there not being a need to say anything.

Interesting point, but I OC at home even if I'm just watching the TV. I OC when I mow the grass, and when I am working in the garage. If someone were to come to my house at any hour of the day, there is about a 99% chance that I would answer the door with my gun on my hip. Some people don't carry while at home, while others do. If I saw someone on their own property OC'ing, I wouldn't think twice about it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Interesting point, but I OC at home even if I'm just watching the TV. I OC when I mow the grass, and when I am working in the garage. If someone were to come to my house at any hour of the day, there is about a 99% chance that I would answer the door with my gun on my hip. Some people don't carry while at home, while others do. If I saw someone on their own property OC'ing, I wouldn't think twice about it.

But it's your GOD given right to protect yourself, I always have a gun on or near me at all times:twocents:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The interesting thing about this, that some people are overlooking, is that fact that the OP's home has probably been "flagged." Had he been CC'ing, the Officer would have never known.... but now they do...

:shady:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

and I understand that. There are certainly those that are carry ALL the time. Heck I know a old guy that carries 3 handguns on him all the time. That's why I wouldn't have said anything. But honestly people like you are typically the exception. I have plenty of friends (non-Leos) that also carry but if I pop up at their homes they aren't "strapped."

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    and I understand that. There are certainly those that are carry ALL the time. Heck I know a old guy that carries 3 handguns on him all the time. That's why I wouldn't have said anything. But honestly people like you are typically the exception. I have plenty of friends (non-Leos) that also carry but if I pop up at their homes they aren't "strapped."

If they ain't strapped they ain't ready to defend themselves:noway:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The interesting thing about this, that some people are overlooking, is that fact that the OP's home has probably been "flagged." Had he been CC'ing, the Officer would have never known.... but now they do...

:shady:
    So he can expect harassment and retribution now? What other legitimate purpose would "flagging" serve? :dunno:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It could have been worst for the LEO, instead of OCing, the OP could have been in his SPEEDO waiting for the LEO to show up:D

I see you have been reading my posts. But of course, when I go swimming in my Speedo, I conceal carry my Glock. This seems to be an OC situation.

Da Bing

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I personally don't open carry, I feel that it puts most people on the defensive. I also feel that every citizen should have the initial right to carry a firearm for their's and their familys personal protection. I would not invite an unknown officer to my home and be open carrying, because I would not want the officer to be on the defensive. Just my opinion, but why create a potential uncomfortable situation? I am a firm believer in protecting one's rights, but there is a time and place for everything.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    So when does E5's ban expire so we can see what he thinks. After they shot my dogs I am not sure they would be concerned with whether I was OC or CC that day.

Top Bottom