Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Clearly a case of "this is OK for me but not for you". About like those liberal media types that are openly anti-gun and then later it's revealed that THEY CARRY A GUN.

I propose a new Number One Rule for LEOs....or perhaps for ALL public servants?

Don't be a DICK.

LEO don't like it when they can't put fear in your heart:D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...
    ...to do an inspection on my new sailboat.
    Inspect your boat? What was the probable cause for that search?

Free country, fail.

Maybe "flagging" will ensure the cops don't do an AZ style raid on his house in the future. :dunno:

Maybe it ensures that they WILL.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    1. Catch up - I clarified that I wasn't saying anything about the OP being disrespectful, just responding to the last question in his post.

2. I would humbly submit that you absolutely can stand up for your rights without being disrespectful, or, more to the point, without escalating the situation. I'll put money on my ability to get totally different reactions from people based on HOW I approach them and assert my rights, ESPECIALLY if I happen to be carrying a gun.

We keep hearing about how LEOs are playground bullies and enjoy asserting their authority, but I think there are a fair number of people around here who have some insecurity issues, who maybe had their lunch taken one too many times and now are way too eager to escalate a situation because now, "I have a gun, I know my rights, and NOBODY's telling ME what to do anymore!"

And no, that statement's not directed at anyone in particular.

i humbly submit that I misunderstood the tone of your post and apologize if you did not mean to imply the OP was somehow being rude or disrespectful.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I realize open carrying is not supposed to make people feel uncomfortable, but it does, just because it is not the "norm". Grandma and Grandpa have every right to go to the beach wearing a two piece and a Speedo, but I would feel uncomfortable if they were with me. If you don't think open carrying makes people feel uncomfortable, next time you attend a function such as a wedding, strap a gun on your hip and check out the looks you get, or better yet, go to the airport and see if you draw a little attention.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Trust me, yours is not the only profession to make enemies. I have been in professions where I have fired many people and in my later years have evicted[ many people. I dont go anywhere without a gun.QUOTE=UncleMike;1998369]I'm retired and I still carry 24/7.
    I've had enough "tough guys" threaten me over the years that I don't intend to give any of them a free shot.[/QUOTE]

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Inspect your boat? What was the probable cause for that search?

Free country, fail.

Maybe it ensures that they WILL.
    He needed a VIN check in order to plate the boat in Indiana.
    If you're going to ***** about something at least have the common courtesy to have a modicum of knowledge about the subject. :rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ram, it's an admin procedure. Relax, man, it's only taxes, you can come out of the bombproof basement now.:D

I realize open carrying is not supposed to make people feel uncomfortable, but it does, just because it is not the "norm".

Easy fix, open carry more and make it the norm.

Remember, this is "baiting", telling people to stop doing something that is perfectly legal in order to draw an (over)reaction. The cop was looking for a fight so congrats to you for not giving it to him.

Smile and blow kisses at him and then tell him to remove his firearm from your property.:laugh:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I realize open carrying is not supposed to make people feel uncomfortable, but it does, just because it is not the "norm".
    People have a god given right to keep and bear(that means carry) arms...a principle this country was founded upon. People do NOT have the right to be made to feel comftorable or not offended due to the legal actions of other people. Grown-ups should learn to control their emotions a little better than that and not act like children.

Perhaps if more people OC'd and people could see guns used in a positive light it would become the "norm" and would be a good thing, right !

Grandma and Grandpa have every right to go to the beach wearing a two piece and a Speedo, but I would feel uncomfortable if they were with me.
    They certainly do not have that "right"...it makes me feel uncomftorable and isn't the "norm", therefore they should't do it, right? ;)

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    "Easy fix, open carry more and make it the norm."
    That should be an easy fix, just get the other 99.9% of the population to follow your lead.
    No, just a small % of the population OC-ing would allow people to see many guns out in the open not killing people every day.

If you go out where people are (mall, park, stores, etc.) you'll see hundreds of people....if a small % of those people OC you'll see tens of guns...that will make it more normal for everyone.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy." If the officer was invited to my home to perform a vin check, then one could reasonably believe he would protect me while he was here. I do not personally see the need to carry in his presence. On the other hand, if I am carrying and an officer arrives for such a visit, I don't necessarily see the need to put my weapon away either. Wouldn't advise greeting police armed if they had responded to a domestic or some other disturbance though. Keep in mind that police are naturally suspicious. Ambushes are real and often disguised as innocent calls. Comments such as described in the OP shouldn't be taken as antagonistic.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If I were outside or in the garage and I was open carrying, which I do, and the officer arrived, I certainly wouldn't put the gun away, but if I was expecting the officer, I wouldn't walk out of my house open carrying, it appears if you are just trying to get a reaction.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would have left it in the house... I would have put on a tshirt, flip flops... bada bing bada boom... get off my property copper!
    I think the OP should've came outside nekkid that way the cop could see he was'nt carrying any weapons.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Easy fix, open carry more and make it the norm."
    That should be an easy fix, just get the other 99.9% of the population to follow your lead.

It just takes a few to lead the many.

Just a few people rode in the front of the bus or sat at the lunch counter. And with open carry, it's not even illegal.:D

The courts will not go where the culture has not.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I realize open carrying is not supposed to make people feel uncomfortable, but it does, just because it is not the "norm". Grandma and Grandpa have every right to go to the beach wearing a two piece and a Speedo, but I would feel uncomfortable if they were with me. If you don't think open carrying makes people feel uncomfortable, next time you attend a function such as a wedding, strap a gun on your hip and check out the looks you get, or better yet, go to the airport and see if you draw a little attention.

It depends on what you consider "normal". The last 100 years? Yeah, most people haven't OCed their firearms. Since the invention of the tool? OC is pretty normal if you look at the big picture. It's kind of hard to conceal a musket, you know?

If I were outside or in the garage and I was open carrying, which I do, and the officer arrived, I certainly wouldn't put the gun away, but if I was expecting the officer, I wouldn't walk out of my house open carrying, it appears if you are just trying to get a reaction.

So, are the police, who always open carry, just looking to get a reaction? Or does that only apply to non-badged carriers? Why would the official department policy be to "get a reaction" by open carrying? Perhaps it's just the most efficient way to carry.

Do you conceal your tool belt and cover your hammer with an over sized shirt? Concealing tools for the sake of making other people comfortable is pretty strange.

Top Bottom