Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I honestly wouldn't have said anything about him OCing on his property. But, in the back of my mind, I would be asking myself "why" a person at his own residence, would be carrying a weapon on his hip. Obviously this was VIN check, which are low priority calls. Often people wait a good while for an officer to arrive. So it begs the question, was the OP carrying the entire time, prior to the arrival of the officer, or did he "holster up" to see the officer's response and post it here? Inspection was completed "ten minutes ago" well, what do most people do then? They go to the BMV and submit their paperwork, but apparently this was too good a story not to post up first.

Of course, that is all conjecture. The OP may have very well been doing something else, prior, in which he decided to OC, but for a guy like me who has a hard enough time wearing a shirt and shoes around the house, it does make one wonder.... only wonder though, the fact that he was OCing would tend to make me believe he was law abiding, and thus there not being a need to say anything.

I have my gun on me about 80% of the time, at home. Why would you be suspicious of him just because he was armed?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    ...to do an inspection on my new sailboat. It's a YFlyer, pretty nice boat. Anyways, I'm open-carrying as usual and the officer does his thing with the boat and then turns to me and says "How about next time an officer comes out to your house, you leave the pistol in the house." I tell him that "With all due respect sir, I am on private property." Then he says that he understands that, but "Someone carrying a gun makes an officer nervous." I told him thank you for the advice and have a nice day.

I'm saddened that the public and officers are so nervous at the idea of law-abiding people carrying. He was very professional, so no complaints there. He was simply offering his opinion.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this sad view that people have of gun owners?

I don't have a remedy. I don't know why anybody.... Leo, or neighbor, or anyone, would have a problem with you open carrying...anywhere, but especially on your own property! Some LEO's ( and this is not bashing, just a fact!) ( also some citizens) believe they should be the only ones to legally carry. And yes, they are entitled to their opinion. ...
    It is sad

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Why don't you look that up and report back to us???;)
    But be sure to include only those people who's death fit the legal definition of cold blooded murder, like what happened to those Officers, and not self defense or accidental death.
    I'll bet it's less than 38. :)

ANY Leo or ANY citizen killed wrongfully is one too many!!!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The interesting thing about this, that some people are overlooking, is that fact that the OP's home has probably been "flagged." Had he been CC'ing, the Officer would have never known.... but now they do...

:shady:

Now you're just stirring the pot. Everyone knows that police would never put such a thing in the database for your home/person.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I personally don't open carry, I feel that it puts most people on the defensive. I also feel that every citizen should have the initial right to carry a firearm for their's and their familys personal protection. I would not invite an unknown officer to my home and be open carrying, because I would not want the officer to be on the defensive. Just my opinion, but why create a potential uncomfortable situation? I am a firm believer in protecting one's rights, but there is a time and place for everything.

Why? The officer is OCing.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Interestingly enough I probably carry more at home then when I am out. Honestly there is as great or maybe a greater chance of being assaulted in the home. In public there are witnesses. I might even OC. Why? Because it is my property! Usually I just pocket carry a J frame because I wouldn't want to make the LEO down the street nervous.

Not wanting to belittle the sacrifices of law enforcement professionals, but the job is not the most dangerous profession out there. On job fatalities are common in a lot of professions. Interestingly enough we still get up, put on our boots and go to work. If the mere presence of a gun makes a LEO nervous then they should find another profession. Seeing guns do not make me nervous, its the guns you don't see that you have to worry about.

Well said!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If the sight of a firearm makes this officer nervous, then I would say it is time for him to find another line of work.
    +1+1 What the hell does a cop expect on the job? That every contact will be Mother Theresa? (Hmm. I wonder if she was OCing when the Calcutta police showed up to inspect her boat.) I'm a retired plumber. If I didn't know I would get hooey on my hands once in a while or burn an arm welding overhead pipe, shame on me. If a LEO is jumpy around a guy at ease OCing in his own yard and not projecting any kind of threat what will he do in the hood on a Saturday night? Is he gonna be so paranoid that he will bust heads first and ask questions later?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy." If the officer was invited to my home to perform a vin check, then one could reasonably believe he would protect me while he was here. I do not personally see the need to carry in his presence. On the other hand, if I am carrying and an officer arrives for such a visit, I don't necessarily see the need to put my weapon away either. Wouldn't advise greeting police armed if they had responded to a domestic or some other disturbance though. Keep in mind that police are naturally suspicious. Ambushes are real and often disguised as innocent calls. Comments such as described in the OP shouldn't be taken as antagonistic.

While I wouldn't put on a gun if an officer knocked on my door for an expected inspection visit, if I was out in the yard/garage/whatever going about my business, I certainly would NOT start reaching for my holstered handgun to remove it, or make a conspicuous effort to conceal it. Either one of those actions is likely to cause serious problems.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy." If the officer was invited to my home to perform a vin check, then one could reasonably believe he would protect me while he was here. I do not personally see the need to carry in his presence. On the other hand, if I am carrying and an officer arrives for such a visit, I don't necessarily see the need to put my weapon away either. Wouldn't advise greeting police armed if they had responded to a domestic or some other disturbance though. Keep in mind that police are naturally suspicious. Ambushes are real and often disguised as innocent calls. Comments such as described in the OP shouldn't be taken as antagonistic.

I didn't have a problem with your " opinion" in the first four sentences, but your use of the word " OFTEN", as if it's a fact, is totally out of place! I am not doubting that there have been case(s) of "ambush", but I sure don't believe that such " ambushes"(sp.) are common or "often".

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I didn't have a problem with your " opinion" in the first four sentences, but your use of the word " OFTEN", as if it's a fact, is totally out of place! I am not doubting that there have been case(s) of "ambush", but I sure don't believe that such " ambushes"(sp.) are common or "often".

It is as much in place as it was when UncleMike used it.... ;)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I agree with many of you. It seems the only reason to oc in that situation was to get a reaction, which he did. Could his home not be protected at that point in time by cc? If I was leo seeing a gun at any time on a civilian would make hyper aware. I am sure the Leo's mindset was that " this dude is trying to bait me". He let his opinion known and if you ever have trouble at your house expect an overreaction from here out. It is not right but they like us are looking to protect themselves.

I think you would be even more " hyper aware" if the citizen was concealing and his shirt rode up and you got a glimpse of his weapon! Someone else said earlier...it's the hidden weapons you have to worry about!

Top Bottom