Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    I agree with many of you. It seems the only reason to oc in that situation was to get a reaction, which he did. Could his home not be protected at that point in time by cc? If I was leo seeing a gun at any time on a civilian would make hyper aware. I am sure the Leo's mindset was that " this dude is trying to bait me". He let his opinion known and if you ever have trouble at your house expect an overreaction from here out. It is not right but they like us are looking to protect themselves.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have had a few instances where the police have been at my home (invited, I didnt break any laws) and have almost always had a gun or two openly available to me. Actually a friend and I were shooting clay pigeons the last time, and invited him to a round or two before he went back to his work. Only LEO that has ever had an adverse reaction to being armed was a Conservation officer that apparently was intimidated by my muzzle loader, as he made me unload and lay it down on the ground before patting me down.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You won't find anything interesting in the open Forum.
    The Mods erased all of the extremely insulting things that he and others posted.
    However If you ask nicely they might give you a peek "behind the scenes" since I'm pretty sure they tucked those posts away in case anyone tries to claim that the bans were unfounded. ;)

Damn. I always miss out on those posts. I curse the constant bad timing.

THE BANS WERE UNFOUNDED!!! SHOW ME THE POSTS!!! SHOW ME THE POSTS!!!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I agree with many of you. It seems the only reason to oc in that situation was to get a reaction, which he did. Could his home not be protected at that point in time by cc? If I was leo seeing a gun at any time on a civilian would make hyper aware. I am sure the Leo's mindset was that " this dude is trying to bait me". He let his opinion known and if you ever have trouble at your house expect an overreaction from here out. It is not right but they like us are looking to protect themselves.

Are you saying that LEO don't think we are responsible or trust worthy:(

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If I come off being against open carry, I'm not. I'm just saying, you will get a reaction, not always positive, because it is not normal to se a private citizen with a gun on their side. Sometimes it's best to leave your gun in your pocket or under your shirt. If I were expecting a police officer to come to my door, I would not create a situation that would make anyone uncomfortable. I really don't think an officer doing a vin check is a threat to me.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    The Supreme Court already ruled on that...the police have no duty to protect the public...if you want any form of protetion it's your responsibility.
    Are you referring to the "Constitutional" duty in regards to a protective order? Not the same thing as negligence if the officer is already present. Moot point though really. I see both sides of this scenario and from my perspective, it isn't a big deal. OP can certainly OC on his own property and the officer is within his rights to express an opinion. Had I been the officer, if the boat owner was being civil, probably would have struck up a gun conversation. Different strokes ...

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    It seems the only reason to oc in that situation was to get a reaction

Not because he didn't have a CC holster? Or it was too big to conceal in the summer? I have a GP 100 with a 4" barrel that simply cannot be concealed with a t shirt. What about comfort? Maybe he is a quicker draw with it out in the open. Perhaps he isn't ashamed of his right to keep and bear arms and doesn't feel the need to hide his sidearm.

All I'm getting at, is there are many reasons that I occasionally open carry, and absolutely none of them are to get a reaction from anyone.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Correct response

"How about next time an officer comes out to my house, you leave the pistol in the car."

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Great Post! I would tell that officer to pound sand and next time send a officer that respects my rights and that doesn't feel like he is above me, its just a damn gun, its not going to jump out and start shooting people...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If I were outside or in the garage and I was open carrying, which I do, and the officer arrived, I certainly wouldn't put the gun away, but if I was expecting the officer, I wouldn't walk out of my house open carrying, it appears if you are just trying to get a reaction.

Wrong. I'm not going to change my carry method no matter who comes to MY house for whatever reason they are coming for.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Back on topic are there any LEO's on here that carry at home 24/7 and if so same scenario would you leave in the house? Just curious.
    Nope, I only carry when I am out and about or at work. I do not carry around the house. It's accessible, just not on me. I understand why people do, I just don't feel the need to. My house is not that big that I can't grab it if needed in little time.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Officers are nervous because 38 of them have been murdered so far this year by gunfire.
    He didn't know you personally and had no way of knowing if you were a decent guy, or someone who called an LEO to his house with the intention of ambushing him.
    (Yup, that's happened this year.)
    Sounds like he was professional, and courteous, and you acted politely and without provocation. :yesway:

Can you elaborate a little or tell me where I can find this ambush story? Thanks
    I doubt it was on a vin check!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If I were outside or in the garage and I was open carrying, which I do, and the officer arrived, I certainly wouldn't put the gun away, but if I was expecting the officer, I wouldn't walk out of my house open carrying, it appears if you are just trying to get a reaction.
    I disagree. The OP stated that he was just doing what he normally does by OC'ing on his property. Now if he normally does'nt OC and he knew the LEO was comming over and he changed the norm and put his gun on then I could see you'd maybe have a point.

Top Bottom