• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I remember the first time I saw cops wearing masks.

Our undercover drug guys were going to hit a dope dealer's house and, as usual, they needed uniforms to go along to prevent the bad guys from claiming that they thought our guys were rival dope dealers trying to eliminate the competition. Also, as usual, I went along as I always did whenever my troops were "borrowed" for someone else's gig just to make sure everything was on the up and up.

We met at the staging area, got briefed, and hit the house. The drug guys jumped out of their cars wearing black jackets with "POLICE" across the backs, and they had BLACK SKI MASKS OVER THEIR FACES!!!

I was like a deer in headlights. I went to the doper sergeant and demanded to know why the #$%& our guys were entering an American home with bags over their faces like the goddamned PLO or IRA. He responded that they worked undercover and had to conceal their identities.

I believe that's the first time that it really hit home with me that the profession of law enforcement to which my father and I had devoted our lives was gone, and it was never coming back.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Liberty Sanders nails it once again. Look at the extents we are going to "prevent people from getting high." These practices truly resemble something out of another country as you mentioned. And where it is going, it is not looking good. The more we criminalize harmless behavior, and enforce laws with such extreme measures, the scarier our country becomes for those who love liberty.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I always saw the masks as a way of protecting the LEO's family...and themselves of course.

If I spent my time busting in the front doors of crack dealers (and we can argue that point until the cows come home...it won't change the fact that that behavior is currently illegal...it's actually irrelevant to this thread) I'd want that protection for my family. I'm a bog boy...I'll handle the risks to myself as they come up. But I sure as hell wouldn't want my wife and kids snatched and executed because of my line of work.

I understand it's a line of work the LEO chose. But...should they put their better half or their kid's safety at risk due to the probability of retaliation by drug dealers?

I can just see it...someone is going to say, "If you're that worried about the safety of your family, then perhaps you shouldn't have one". :rolleyes:

Just my opinion, of course.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong at all with officers doing a raid on a warrant wearing masks. IMO, it is one thing if they are on patrol or working the street compared to a raid on a drug house or serving a warrant. I am probably in the minority here but that is how I look at the masks.

Top Bottom