Indy

nope.gif

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Regardless of how it may or may not work around here, I’m disappointed in this second coronavirus thread. The signal to noise ratio has decreased radically. So much nonsense and bickering about the two “r’s”, racism and religion. Maybe I’ve been social distancing for too long, but I’m even finding the humor less tolerable. I’m not asking or telling anyone how to post (I realize full well I can just scroll on by), but these threads have been so valuable until very recently that I hate to see this one turn to ****.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    To perhaps shed some light on an earlier debate about using 1/3 cup bleach per gallon water for disinfecting, I bought a bottle of Clorox disinfecting bleach at the grocery store today (a bit over a half gallon) and the recommendation for disinfecting non-porous surfaces was… 1/3 cup bleach per gallon of water. I didn’t even notice that or make the connection until after I had been home for several hours and went to put it away.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Regardless of how it may or may not work around here, I’m disappointed in this second coronavirus thread. The signal to noise ratio has decreased radically. So much nonsense and bickering about the two “r’s”, racism and religion. Maybe I’ve been social distancing for too long, but I’m even finding the humor less tolerable. I’m not asking or telling anyone how to post (I realize full well I can just scroll on by), but these threads have been so valuable until very recently that I hate to see this one turn to ****.

What is valuable or interesting for some may not be so valuable or interesting for others. Personally, I find the bickering over this or that "model" to be tedious and irrelevant, given the lack of solid information and statistics on testing, etc. But it's all part of the Coronavirus topic, so I just scroll on past if I'm not interested. Just wait 30 minutes, there will be something completely different to discuss.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    To perhaps shed some light on an earlier debate about using 1/3 cup bleach per gallon water for disinfecting, I bought a bottle of Clorox disinfecting bleach at the grocery store today (a bit over a half gallon) and the recommendation for disinfecting non-porous surfaces was… 1/3 cup bleach per gallon of water. I didn’t even notice that or make the connection until after I had been home for several hours and went to put it away.

I use Steramine sanitizing tablets instead of bleach. It is used in the restaurant industry. Kills everything that bleach kills. A bottle of 150 tablets is cheap and makes 150 gallons of sterilizer. No bleach smell, no danger of chemical burns, easy to use in a spray bottle and food prep surface safe. You just use 1 tablet per gallon of water. It's always fresh because you make it as you need it. A lot easier to store a bottle of Steramine than 150 gallons of bleach.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ed...nitizing-tablets-sanitabs-bottle/999TABS.html

[video=youtube;1XRDtyxWma8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XRDtyxWma8[/video]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah well I wish people on their high horses would shut their pie holes but I realized a long time that will never happen on the internet either. So if I feel something is relevant to say I say it. People can scroll by or put me on block if they dont like it. Simple
    The racism accusations are so old around here. Social justice warriors need to go find a new drum circle.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I use Steramine sanitizing tablets instead of bleach. It is used in the restaurant industry. Kills everything that bleach kills. A bottle of 150 tablets is cheap and makes 150 gallons of sterilizer. No bleach smell, no danger of chemical burns, easy to use in a spray bottle and food prep surface safe. You just use 1 tablet per gallon of water. It's always fresh because you make it as you need it. A lot easier to store a bottle of Steramine than 150 gallons of bleach.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ed...nitizing-tablets-sanitabs-bottle/999TABS.html

[video=youtube;1XRDtyxWma8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XRDtyxWma8[/video]

Yep I have these too. It's not the only thing we use but it's one method. Comes in box of 6 bottles I believe. 150 tablets per bottle. That's a lot of sanitizer solution

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Scrolling that thread, like any other thread on social media reminds me about how some will complain about others’ adherence to all of the .gov recommended CV precautions—-I can’t control what others do. I can control my reaction to them though. Probably 80-90% of the posts on INGO hold little to no interest to me. Most of them are inside jokes (mostly about church mouse :D ) or one liners that add little to the discussion or some personal rants or whatever. Rather than get frustrated with them, I just scroll by them. When I see a post by someone whom I know often has something insightful to say, I’ll stop and check it out. I just don’t waste my time reading and contemplating all the noise. (I am also working on my weakness for reading the posts by those that seem to simply pick a nit over the most useless or pedantic things).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I was pleasantly surprised to find Steramine on Amazon a few weeks ago. Felt kind of prepper-ish to get an entire, 6-bottle case; but the case takes up less space than a gallon of bleach.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    ABCNews: George W. Bush in 2005: 'If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare'
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/george-bush-2005-wait-pandemic-late-prepare/story?id=69979013

In 2005, W read about the 1918 pandemic and became obsessed with preparing for a future one. That effort only lasted 3 years, then fizzled...

What happened in 2008 that made this preparation priority go away?

Interestingly, ABC reached out to Bush for comment... which he respectfully demurred... but not to Obama. Go figure!

Some shibboleths are unassailable even when culpable, perhaps especially when culpable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was pleasantly surprised to find Steramine on Amazon a few weeks ago. Felt kind of prepper-ish to get an entire, 6-bottle case; but the case takes up less space than a gallon of bleach.

I just ordered one bottle from Amazon. Would have been cheaper (per bottle) by the case, but 17 bucks (with shipping) for 150 gallons of cleaning solution is still pretty cheap. The restaurant supply place came to 22 and change with shipping.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I posted a few days ago about the beef processor JBS having issues at 3 plants. It is most plants. The Pennsylvania plant I mentioned has now been closed.
    Several meat processing plants around the U.S. are sitting idle this week because workers have been infected with the coronavirus. Tyson Foods, one of the country's biggest meat processors, says it suspended operations at its pork plant in Columbus Junction, Iowa, after more than two dozen workers got sick with COVID-19. National Beef Packing stopped slaughtering cattle at another Iowa plant, and JBS USA shut down work at a beef plant in Pennsylvania.

More information is at the source,but this sums it up fairly well.It is a problem. The supply line for food,that we actually produce in the USA is breaking.
    A handful of workers at a JBS plant in Greeley, Colo., have tested positive for the coronavirus. According to the Greeley Tribune, hundreds of workers didn't show up for work on Monday in protest of the lack of protections for workers.
    McCracken said meat processors are trying to prepare for worker shortages by hiring more employees and by cross-training existing employees to do additional jobs but that the companies have had "limited success" with these measures.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...news&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/51-recovered-covid-19-patients-in-south-korea-retest-positive.html

South Korea health authorities say that 51 people there who had recovered from COVID-19 have tested positive again, according to the Yonhap News Agency.
    The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the recovered patients retested positive after being released from quarantine. The director-general of the Korea CDC said that the positive retests were likely due to the virus being reactivated, as opposed to the people being reinfected.
    A team has been sent to region where the people retested positive to conduct an epidemiological investigation into the cases, health authorities said.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21799704
    This would mean the virus was not cleared from the patients,even though they recovered from the disease.
    It is not good news.It is not the first time a recovered person has tested positive again. It is the first time follow ups detected so many.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, in absolute terms, yesterday was pretty bad - nearly 2k dead. But, the rolling average of daily deaths since 3/31 is still 1,213. And based on another pattern, today should be closer to the average.

Yesterday was still below the trendline for daily percentage increase, and the trendline for day-over-day deaths is still downward.

All that is to say that we may still be on the road to recovery.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the recovered patients retested positive after being released from quarantine. The director-general of the Korea CDC said that the positive retests were likely due to the virus being reactivated, as opposed to the people being reinfected.
    A team has been sent to region where the people retested positive to conduct an epidemiological investigation into the cases, health authorities said.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21799704
    This would mean the virus was not cleared from the patients,even though they recovered from the disease.
    It is not good news.It is not the first time a recovered person has tested positive again. It is the first time follow ups detected so many.

I’ve been hearing these stories. We can’t keep hiding forever. At some point, we’re going to have to recognize some of us are going to get sick. Some of us that get sick are going to die. If we wait around until there’s no more infections to get restarted, or even if we wait until there’s a vaccine, there probably won’t be much left to get restarted.

I think it was in a CS Lewis quote I read that most of us are going to die in very unpleasant ways. That’s the way it’s always been, since the fall. That’s the way it’s going to be. The fact we’ve discovered a new way to die in an unpleasant way is nothing new. Man has been finding them or inventing them since the beginning.

What makes us think we should be free of this latest way to die?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom