• Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Tell me how the hell this could possibly work! 30 kids pretty standard in a classroom and they have to be 6ft apart. Staggering kids coming into and leaving school. 1 kid per seat on the bus and skipping seats. They'll have to run 10 times as many buses and kids wont be getting home till 8pm at night. This **** is getting out hand!

Did they forget they are talking about kids? That would never work when I was a kid and it will never work now.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

If Jedis link doesnt work for you since The Washington Post wants you to subscribe to read, here is a link to the CDC page itself.
    The chart I posted was borrowed, but is an accurate, simplified version, of the CDCs recommendation in the linked article

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html

Actually I was referencing the "poster" since the government or CDC will not put anything out without their name, website, etc all over it. I just checked the image posted and it is facebook-1590020559954-6669029594699719512-jpg.jpg so got my answer.

This entire event is hyperbole, and I am not sure the best solution is more hyperbole. The CDC made some suggestions "Schools may consider implementing several strategies to encourage behaviors that reduce the spread of COVID-19" but nothing like is insinuated in that image, and the word guidelines does not appear anywhere in the links provided. It is actually titled "Considerations for Schools".

Wear masks over the age of 2-
    What is actually said:
    Cloth Face CoveringsTeach and reinforce use of cloth face coverings. Face coverings may be challenging for students (especially younger students) to wear in all-day settings such as school. Face coverings should be worn by staff and students (particularly older students) as feasible, and are most essential in times when physical distancing is difficult. Individuals should be frequently reminded not to touch the face covering and to wash their hands frequently. Information should be provided to staff, students, and students’ families on proper use, removal, and washing of cloth face coverings.
    Note: Cloth face coverings should not be placed on:
    Children younger than 2 years old
    Anyone who has trouble breathing or is unconscious
    Anyone who is incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the cloth face covering without assistance
    Cloth face coverings are meant to protect other people in case the wearer is unknowingly infected but does not have symptoms. Cloth face coverings are not surgical masks, respirators, or other medical personal protective equipment.

No Sharing of any items or supplies, all belonging in individual cubbies labeled containers; no sharing electronic devices, toys games, leaning aids.
    What is actually said:
    Shared ObjectsDiscourage sharing of items that are difficult to clean or disinfect.
    Keep each child’s belongings separated from others’ and in individually labeled containers, cubbies, or areas.
    Ensure adequate supplies to minimize sharing of high touch materials to the extent possible (e.g., assigning each student their own art supplies, equipment) or limit use of supplies and equipment by one group of children at a time and clean and disinfect between use.
    Avoid sharing electronic devices, toys, books, and other games or learning aids.

Desks 6 feet apart, all facing the same way.
    What is actually said:
    Modified LayoutsSpace seating/desks at least 6 feet apart when feasible.
    Turn desks to face in the same direction (rather than facing each other), or have students sit on only one side of tables, spaced apart.
    Create distance between children on school buses (g., seat children one child per row, skip rows) when possible.

Install sneeze guards and partitions whenever you cannot space 6ft apart
    What is actually said:
    Physical Barriers and Guides
    Install physical barriers, such as sneeze guards and partitions, particularly in areas where it is difficult for individuals to remain at least 6 feet apart (e.g., reception desks).

One way routes in hallways; tape on sidewalks and walls to assure kids stay 6ft apart.
    What is actually said:
    Provide physical guides, such as tape on floors or sidewalks and signs on walls, to ensure that staff and children remain at least 6 feet apart in lines and at other times (e.g. guides for creating “one way routes” in hallways).

No communal shared spaces - cafeterias, playgrounds
    What is actually said:
    Close communal use shared spaces such as dining halls and playgrounds with shared playground equipment if possible; otherwise, stagger use and clean and disinfect between use.

Only pre-packages boxes or bags of food instead of cafeteria food; kids eat in classrooms.
    What is actually said:
    Have children bring their own meals as feasible, or serve individually plated meals in classrooms instead of in a communal dining hall or cafeteria, while ensuring the safety of children with food allergies. If food is offered at any event, have pre-packaged boxes or bags for each attendee instead of a buffet or family-style meal. Avoid sharing food and utensils and ensure the safety of children with food allergies.

Physical barriers or screens between sinks in bathrooms.
    What is actually said:
    Add physical barriers, such as plastic flexible screens, between bathroom sinks especially when they cannot be at least 6 feet apart.

No field trips, assemblies, or external organizations in the schools. Limit volunteers and visitors.
    What is actually said:
    Pursue virtual group events, gatherings, or meetings, if possible, and promote social distancing of at least 6 feet between people if events are held. Limit group size to the extent possible.
    Limit any nonessential visitors, volunteers, and activities involving external groups or organizations as possible – especially with individuals who are not from the local geographic area (e.g., community, town, city, county).
    Pursue virtual activities and events in lieu of field trips, student assemblies, special performances, school-wide parent meetings, and spirit nights, as possible.
    Pursue options to convene sporting events and participation in sports activities in ways that minimizes the risk of transmission of COVID-19 to players, families, coaches, and communities.

Same children stay with the same staff all day, no switching groups or teachers.
    What is actually said:
    The more people a student or staff member interacts with, and the longer that interaction, the higher the risk of COVID-19 spread. The risk of COVID-19 spread increases in school settings as follows:
    Lowest Risk: Students and teachers engage in virtual-only classes, activities, and events.
    More Risk: Small, in-person classes, activities, and events. Groups of students stay together and with the same teacher throughout/across school days and groups do not mix. Students remain at least 6 feet apart and do not share objects (e.g., hybrid virtual and in-person class structures, or staggered/rotated scheduling to accommodate smaller class sizes).
    Highest Risk: Full sized, in-person classes, activities, and events. Students are not spaced apart, share classroom materials or supplies, and mix between classes and activities.

Stagger arrival and departure times for students to limit exposure to crowds of kids
    What is actually said:
    Stagger arrival and drop-off times or locations by cohort or put in place other protocols to limit contact between cohorts and direct contact with parents as much as possible.
    When possible, use flexible worksites (e.g., telework) and flexible work hours (e.g., staggered shifts) to help establish policies and practices for social distancing (maintaining distance of approximately 6 feet) between employees and others, especially if social distancing is recommended by state and local health authorities.

If possible, daily health and temperature checks
    What is actually said:
    Recognize Signs and Symptoms
    If feasible, conduct daily health checks (e.g., temperature screening and/or or symptom checking) of staff and students.
    Health checks should be conducted safely and respectfully, and in accordance with any applicable privacy laws and regulations. School administrators may use examples of screening methods in CDC’s supplemental Guidance for Child Care Programs that Remain Open as a guide for screening children and CDC’s General Business FAQs for screening staff.

I'm not trying to defend the CDC, they are not worthy of a defense. But objection to a recommendation by distortion does not lend credibility to one's argument.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    aJ4LZsi.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Actually I was referencing the "poster" since the government or CDC will not put anything out without their name, website, etc all over it. I just checked the image posted and it is facebook-1590020559954-6669029594699719512-jpg.jpg so got my answer.

This entire event is hyperbole, and I am not sure the best solution is more hyperbole. The CDC made some suggestions "Schools may consider implementing several strategies to encourage behaviors that reduce the spread of COVID-19" but nothing like is insinuated in that image, and the word guidelines does not appear anywhere in the links provided. It is actually titled "Considerations for Schools".

Wear masks over the age of 2-
    What is actually said:

No Sharing of any items or supplies, all belonging in individual cubbies labeled containers; no sharing electronic devices, toys games, leaning aids.
    What is actually said:

Desks 6 feet apart, all facing the same way.
    What is actually said:

Install sneeze guards and partitions whenever you cannot space 6ft apart
    What is actually said:

One way routes in hallways; tape on sidewalks and walls to assure kids stay 6ft apart.
    What is actually said:

No communal shared spaces - cafeterias, playgrounds
    What is actually said:

Only pre-packages boxes or bags of food instead of cafeteria food; kids eat in classrooms.
    What is actually said:

Physical barriers or screens between sinks in bathrooms.
    What is actually said:

No field trips, assemblies, or external organizations in the schools. Limit volunteers and visitors.
    What is actually said:

Same children stay with the same staff all day, no switching groups or teachers.
    What is actually said:

Stagger arrival and departure times for students to limit exposure to crowds of kids
    What is actually said:

If possible, daily health and temperature checks
    What is actually said:

I'm not trying to defend the CDC, they are not worthy of a defense. But objection to a recommendation by distortion does not lend credibility to one's argument.

Umm....not really seeing much difference there. The chart is layman's terms for exactly what the CDC recommends.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Umm....not really seeing much difference there. The chart is layman's terms for exactly what the CDC recommends.
    Recommends.... another word that is never used in the link except when deferring to local agencies.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Recommends.... another word that is never used in the link except when deferring to local agencies.

Your honor and jury,

The school board KNEW what the CDC said would protect our children and still they did not follow it. Now poor mr and mrs sheep no longer have little Jimmy because the school board and school was negligent and failed to follow the recommendations that the CDC put out months in advance before school started!

Thereby you must aware my clients $100000000000 for all the pain and suffering of not having little jummy around anymore and punish this school for NOT listening to the CDC!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ya may laugh. Just like some of you laughed at those INGO who months ago were warning us of this. But search your feelings you know that above will play out somewhere.

Not that we loved little Jimmy. Nah he was a dumb kid but he sure will make us rich!!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Recommends, considerations, guidelines, or as you put it "suggestions", are you really trying to tell me that the school systems wont take these ideas and roll with them and beyond?

:rofl:

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Recommends, considerations, guidelines, or as you put it "suggestions", are you really trying to tell me that the school systems wont take these ideas and roll with them and beyond?

:rofl:

If you believe that "Cloth face coverings should not be placed on: Children younger than 2 years old" means that the CDC "guidelines" for schools is that masks are required for all children over 2, then I can definitely see you thinking that is "what I'm really trying to tell you".

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Nowhere in the post does anything say mandatory. As far as I know the CDC doesnt make law, so if people are to stupid to believe these are "mandatory" then that's their own damn fault. What the chart states is factually true as compared to the article I linked from the CDC

Would it make you feel better if it said at the top of that chart it said "recommendations"

And seriously, you think the schools aren't going to follow that to the letter and take it just 1 step further? Especially when you have a plethora of stores requiring (mandatory) masks for everyone over the age of 2, follow the arrows, social distancing markers so you know where to stand, businesses checking employees temps, yada, yada, yada

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Tell me how the hell this could possibly work! 30 kids pretty standard in a classroom and they have to be 6ft apart. Staggering kids coming into and leaving school. 1 kid per seat on the bus and skipping seats. They'll have to run 10 times as many buses and kids wont be getting home till 8pm at night. This **** is getting out hand!

looking for a source for this to validate this and found ...
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If Jedis link doesnt work for you since The Washington Post wants you to subscribe to read, here is a link to the CDC page itself.
    The chart I posted was borrowed, but is an accurate, simplified version, of the CDCs recommendation in the linked article

You Guys might want to look here.

LOL...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You Guys might want to look here.

I looked ahead a couple pages and no one had posted it, so I went looking on my own. Oh well. Didn’t read ahead far enough....

My wife’s currently a preschool teacher at our church’s preschool... I figure we might as well shut it down. The way the rest of the staff has reacted to this ordeal, they will want to follow the recommendations entirely, and it’s not feasible, even half of it.

as for our kids in public school... no way to expect even half of that will get implemented with any consistency. Might as well stop all bussing. You can’t isolate groups of kids by class if you can’t isolate them on the busses (and 1 per row, skipping every other row is not reasonable).

I’ve been trying to gently prepare my wife/kids for the possibility that the schools will decide the easiest course of action with the least risk is to continue the remote learning through the 20/21 school year. It’s not gone well for us, and my son who was seeing one of his better years through February ended really struggling. And given that remote learning was the first bullet point on that cdc webpage as the lowest risk solution, why would schools do anything else?

-rvb

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I looked ahead a couple pages and no one had posted it, so I went looking on my own. Oh well. Didn’t read ahead far enough....

My wife’s currently a preschool teacher at our church’s preschool... I figure we might as well shut it down. The way the rest of the staff has reacted to this ordeal, they will want to follow the recommendations entirely, and it’s not feasible, even half of it.

as for our kids in public school... no way to expect even half of that will get implemented with any consistency. Might as well stop all bussing. You can’t isolate groups of kids by class if you can’t isolate them on the busses (and 1 per row, skipping every other row is not reasonable).

I’ve been trying to gently prepare my wife/kids for the possibility that the schools will decide the easiest course of action with the least risk is to continue the remote learning through the 20/21 school year. It’s not gone well for us, and my son who was seeing one of his better years through February ended really struggling. And given that remote learning was the first bullet point on that cdc webpage as the lowest risk solution, why would schools do anything else?

-rvb

This will all be gone/forgotten the second mail in voting is roadblocked, or the election is over.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom