Not open for further replies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    While eating bats is the likely genesis of C-19, it is not the cause of the current situation. The cause of the current situation is governments, including our own, playing with deadly viruses in labs. Coronavirus research was deemed too deadly to play with in the US so it went to China along with several researchers following along with money from the US government. Read last week that a viral researcher said that the virus that came from eating bats would typically need 800-900 years to evolve to the point of respiratory spread and it was unlikely it mutated this way without help from the labs...
    I have zero doubt this was lab created as a weapon by the Chinese. The world was attacked by China. The sooner we bury the Chinese government the better

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So listening to the indy mayor, so far .. 22 May restaurants outdoor dining only .. no personal services, haircuts, nail , etc. It will be interesting to see how areas that boarder open county reacts. I'm 5 mins from zionsvilles which is open

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IHME updated yesterday. Expecting 147k deaths by August 4. But, their daily estimates are ranging on the high side right now. That is, they are projecting more deaths on any given day than actually have happened. With that, one of the next revisions - barring the introduction of the Second Wave - will bring that down a little.

Personally, I'm thinking we'll hit over 90k dead by this time next week. After that, all bets are off as we hit the 2-week mark of reopening. If things stay steady through the first part of June, that would be really nice. If things spike, that'll be bad.

With the patchwork of reopening restrictions/freedoms, all of the projections are WAGs. We just don't know what will happen. But, the policymakers knew that the conditions of the SIP were untenable for more and more people.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    So listening to the indy mayor, so far .. 22 May restaurants outdoor dining only .. no personal services, haircuts, nail , etc. It will be interesting to see how areas that boarder open county reacts. I'm 5 mins from zionsvilles which is open

Got my haircut in Hendricks county yesterday.....5 minutes away from me. I was scared and worried about my safety so I rushed right back home.......where I feel safe and sound knowing the "mayor" knows what is best for me. Today I may risk another adventure to a "sit in" restaurant......5 minutes away; but promise I will return home where I know I am safe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So a friend and ingo member who is well aware of these things posted that the regular flu deaths at the facility he is involved with was 6to8 a week before this :bs: was inflicted upon us. After this all started and to date the deaths total 38 to mid 40's blamed on the beer flu. Seems they are no longer logging regular flu related deaths. Go figure.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So a friend and ingo member who is well aware of these things posted that the regular flu deaths at the facility he is involved with was 6to8 a week before this :bs: was inflicted upon us. After this all started and to date the deaths total 38 to mid 40's blamed on the beer flu. Seems they are no longer logging regular flu related deaths. Go figure.

Its almost as if years of telling people to wash their hands and stay home if they're sick to prevent the spread of flu was some kind of alien technology.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IHME updated yesterday. Expecting 147k deaths by August 4. But, their daily estimates are ranging on the high side right now. That is, they are projecting more deaths on any given day than actually have happened. With that, one of the next revisions - barring the introduction of the Second Wave - will bring that down a little.

Personally, I'm thinking we'll hit over 90k dead by this time next week. After that, all bets are off as we hit the 2-week mark of reopening. If things stay steady through the first part of June, that would be really nice. If things spike, that'll be bad.

In the grand scheme of life and death, what compares to those numbers?

Hearing 90k dead sounds, both scary, and confusing - I mean there's a lot of people in the US...

The "normalizers" want to say, "it's just like the normal flu every year, move along", but I've never heard of mortuaries being overwhelmed in any past flu season.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yeah, wearing a cloth mask to stop a virus is like putting up a chain-link fence to stop mosquitoes.

Yes, and no. If the virus is hitching a ride on aerosolized particles, then size of the aerosolized particles matters more than the size of the virus. Contain the aerosolized particles, and you largely contain the virus. Even a cloth mask can provide a non-trivial barrier for the particles we sneeze, cough, and breathe out.

Viruses are about 0.05 - 0.5 micrometers in diameter. Human cough particles are about 3.5 - 10 micrometers in diameter. (Based on the googling I just did, anyway.) Even a cloth mask is 80-90% effective at 0.3 micrometers (assuming a perfect fit). But again, the point being: the mask will considerably limit the expulsion of virus-containing aerosols from an infected person.

The point is that the cloth mask is for containing the virus from getting out from an infected person. It won't do squat to prevent an exposed person from inhaling the virus.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In the grand scheme of life and death, what compares to those numbers?

Hearing 90k dead sounds, both scary, and confusing - I mean there's a lot of people in the US...

The "normalizers" want to say, "it's just like the normal flu every year, move along", but I've never heard of mortuaries being overwhelmed in any past flu season.

As has been stated, that's 90k dead in... 3 months? It won't be linear over the long term (probably) so we can't extrapolate out to 360k dead for a 12 month cycle, but it provides a rough comparator with the annual flu number.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yes, and no. If the virus is hitching a ride on aerosolized particles, then size of the aerosolized particles matters more than the size of the virus. Contain the aerosolized particles, and you largely contain the virus. Even a cloth mask can provide a non-trivial barrier for the particles we sneeze, cough, and breathe out.

Viruses are about 0.05 - 0.5 micrometers in diameter. Human cough particles are about 3.5 - 10 micrometers in diameter. (Based on the googling I just did, anyway.) Even a cloth mask is 80-90% effective at 0.3 micrometers (assuming a perfect fit). But again, the point being: the mask will considerably limit the expulsion of virus-containing aerosols from an infected person.

The point is that the cloth mask is for containing the virus from getting out from an infected person. It won't do squat to prevent an exposed person from inhaling the virus.

Those human cough particles are the ones that end up on the floor pretty quickly. They are not the real threat unless some jackwagon coughs right in your face. It is the smaller ones I am concerned about - the ones the cloth masks do not stop.

If you have a cloth mask that stops 85-90% of particles at 0.3 microns you really have some GREAT cloth! The N95 and P95 masks stop 95% of particles at 0.3 microns. Most cloth masks don't stop anywhere near those numbers. Then consider the chinese virus is about 0.1 micron and the numbers get a little worse.

My main reason for wearing a mask is to prevent me from getting sick. I know, I know - "you don't know if you are sick and contagious" and "think of the children". I am not sick now - I have been isolating and very careful. I cannot spread any disease I don't have.

Cloth masks are a joke promoted to save the effective masks for health care workers and politicians.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As has been stated, that's 90k dead in... 3 months? It won't be linear over the long term (probably) so we can't extrapolate out to 360k dead for a 12 month cycle, but it provides a rough comparator with the annual flu number.

Which is what?

Without extrapolating, how do we compare with existing numbers? 1x? 2x? 4x?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Those human cough particles are the ones that end up on the floor pretty quickly. They are not the real threat unless some jackwagon coughs right in your face. It is the smaller ones I am concerned about - the ones the cloth masks do not stop.

But those are the particles of concern, since they ostensibly carry the virus. Droplets (distinct from aerosols) generally fall directly out of the air. Their risk is contact contamination. Aerosols, by contrast, stay airborne for a sometimes-considerable amount of time. Their risk is inhalation contamination.

If you have a cloth mask that stops 85-90% of particles at 0.3 microns you really have some GREAT cloth! The N95 and P95 masks stop 95% of particles at 0.3 microns. Most cloth masks don't stop anywhere near those numbers. Then consider the chinese virus is about 0.1 micron and the numbers get a little worse.

There is a huge difference between the efficiency of a N95 filter (95%, with - what? - 95% confidence), vs a cloth mask (80% < 0.3 micron, 90% > 0.3 micron, with I'm sure a very low confidence level - and those numbers based on a single study I skimmed when trying to figure out cloth mask efficacy).

But the particle size of the virus itself is irrelevant here, because without the aerosolized particle it's hitching a ride on, it doesn't spread. So it really doesn't matter that the virus particle size is only 0.1 micron. At least, not in terms of what masks are intended to accomplish.

My main reason for wearing a mask is to prevent me from getting sick. I know, I know - "you don't know if you are sick and contagious" and "think of the children". I am not sick now - I have been isolating and very careful. I cannot spread any disease I don't have.

It is doubtful, in most use cases, that a mask is going to do anything to prevent you from getting sick.

Cloth masks are a joke promoted to save the effective masks for health care workers and politicians.

Cloth masks do have some degree of efficacy in containing the spread of virus from the exhalations of those who are infected. That is their sole purpose.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom