• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was perusing on of the Chinese discount electronic website for phone cases, and stumbled across their knife selection. They had an "ESEE Izula" with sheath, for $7.99, shipped. :): Suuuure it is.

But, for $8, what the heck. It came with what appeared to be actual ESEE paperwork, until I started reading the card and noticed the spelling errors. As soon as I tried to sharpen it, the paint started flaking. lol

Still, for $8 I can use it as a pry bar if noting else :D

2015-07-15%2016.38.14.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You know for $8 shipped to your door, that's not a bad deal for a knock off. That sucks for Esee that people would rather buy a poorly made copy of their excellent products, but that's part of a global economy that includes China. I'm guilty of buying fake sun glasses in the past so I can't say anything. I'll stick with my genuine esee knives though.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It sure looks real in the photo!

Is it stainless or some high carbon steel, or is it tough to know?

I wouldn't even know where to begin to judge that, lol

I'd report it to ESEE instead of contributing to their theft.

I am sure ESEE is well aware. This site is one of many Chinese Ebay knockoffs, with dozens of businesses selling such knock offs on each one.
    Like any other company that has tried to fight this kind of thing in the past has found out, the Chinese won't do anything about it. We can't even get them to stop ripping off our cars.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd report it to ESEE instead of contributing to their theft.

Call it a hunch, but I'm pretty sure Esee already knows. I'm sure they've reported it to somebody, and I'm sure the counterfeit company could care less and will continue to sell as many as they possibly can.

Ultimately this isn't really going to hurt Esee. Anyone who thinks an $8 knock off is just as good as the real thing probably wasn't going to buy a legit Esee anyway.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Call it a hunch, but I'm pretty sure Esee already knows. I'm sure they've reported it to somebody, and I'm sure the counterfeit company could care less and will continue to sell as many as they possibly can.

Ultimately this isn't really going to hurt Esee. Anyone who thinks an $8 knock off is just as good as the real thing probably wasn't going to buy a legit Esee anyway.

^THIS^

Now, if people were buying these in bulk from China, and selling them HERE as if they were the real thing, yeah, ESEE could stop it. But going after multiple Chinese companies? Not going to happen, sady

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Every single fake piece of junk stolen copied knife sold hurts the real manufacturer. It adds up.

I guess you guys missed the part where I said I wouldn't contribute to their theft. You can very easily buy a real ESEE from Brad and KnifeLady.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    ESEE is full aware of the knock offs. If you go to their discussion forum there is a thread just about the fake knives selling on Ebay and Amazon. China manufacturers have making knock offs for years now. Too many name brands to mention so be very careful when you buy on line. The price is a pretty good indication of a RED flag.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Every single fake piece of junk stolen copied knife sold hurts the real manufacturer. It adds up.

I guess you guys missed the part where I said I wouldn't contribute to their theft. You can very easily buy a real ESEE from Brad and KnifeLady.

Maybe YOU can "You can very easily buy a real ESEE" but my budget would not allow it. Therefore, I took nothing from ESEE.

I bought this as a novelty only.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Maybe YOU can "You can very easily buy a real ESEE" but my budget would not allow it. Therefore, I took nothing from ESEE.

YOUR money went to someone who is selling junk fake copies. That will allow them to profit and continue selling fake copies or even grow which will in turn allow the fake knife makers to profit and continue to grow.

It adds up and I won't ever contribute to it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Counterfeits devalue the brand. Consumers who have bought the real product can lose confidence (support) in the brand due to counterfeits. Also, It's a known fact that people frequently will avoid brands all together that are known to have counterfeits, even though they know that these brands, when legitimate, likely provide better quality. Bottom line, counterfeits lead to poorer brand perception. When someone buys a counterfeit unknowingly, and later finds out it is a counterfeit, the brand’s reputation is lost due to being stung. Any potential for positive word-of-mouth about the product or company is gone. Instead, now what gets passed on is negative statements about the product/company. I won't even go into the loss of sales, and the fact that lost business can mean higher prices in the long run....these two factors are pretty obvious. :twocents:

Last edited:

bcskypilot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jan 22, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    If if it's too good to be true it usually is... Not always though. That cheap knock off could be the inspiration our forum needs to get behind another Amazing ESEE group buy with the professionals we know and trust. Everyone loves a great deal! just saying.^

Knife Lady & Brad, I'm not a "knife guy" and tend to ask a lot of questions when I'm trying to figure something out. Thank you both for putting up with me in the past! I won't buy a knife anyplace else.

ESEE is full aware of the knock offs. If you go to their discussion forum there is a thread just about the fake knives selling on Ebay and Amazon. China manufacturers have making knock offs for years now. Too many name brands to mention so be very careful when you buy on line. The price is a pretty good indication of a RED flag.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    ESEE's working with the authorities on it. It's a cat and mouse game, though. And the counterfeiters always win. As long as they have customers. The only thing that hurts counterfeiters is leaving them with product that's not selling.

The fakes all have the same serial number though :) 51455

And there are plenty of misspellings on the card, to include the email addresses.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ESEE's working with the authorities on it. It's a cat and mouse game, though. And the counterfeiters always win. As long as they have customers. The only thing that hurts counterfeiters is leaving them with product that's not selling.

The fakes all have the same serial number though :) 51455

And there are plenty of misspellings on the card, to include the email addresses.

If they're going to put so much effort into it, why not reproduce and exact image of the card and other literature instead of trying to recreate it and make errors in the process?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    If they're going to put so much effort into it, why not reproduce and exact image of the card and other literature instead of trying to recreate it and make errors in the process?

ok this is cool why they cant do that!(i work in printing and have my whole life!) its one of the reasons you can't counterfit money,drivers liceneses,passports social secority cards and the like!

did you know that a color copier puts it serial # in every copy it makes?, if you blow up a color copy large enough the serial# for the copier will be in the image!, thats how the goverment tracks counterfit printing!

we were having a new xerox copier installed one time, i made the comment to the installer about how dangerous those were to the stability of the us economy, and that anybody could counterfit, and thats when he told me about the "microstamp".

now would that help esee,microtec,strider,benchmade,gerber or any other company, not really, because those are made in china, and without our goverment going to the chinese goverment and getting their help, nothing would happen. and do you think the us gubment want to upset the chinese?

i was at whitakers guns a few weeks ago and was talking to the benchmade knife rep, i saw a hk tumalt with a black blade and a blue handle at a gun show and was asking the rep about it, he said that hk(benchmade) didn't make one in blue, i said i was glad i didnt buy it! and that i didnt know they were making counterfit hk knives!, he told me that if i had sent it to benchmade, they would have given me credit on a real hk knife!

if you send in a counterfit ox forge knife, he breaks it and sends the pieces back to you!

sounds like the op knew he was buying a knock off esee, he wanted to save money, he did, but he got what he paid for, an 8 dollar knife, and i bet after it breaks, he'll buy another 8 dollar knife, and when it breaks another, and after he's bought his 8th knife, he'll realize he should have bought a real esee!

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    sounds like the op knew he was buying a knock off esee, he wanted to save money, he did, but he got what he paid for, an 8 dollar knife, and i bet after it breaks, he'll buy another 8 dollar knife, and when it breaks another, and after he's bought his 8th knife, he'll realize he should have bought a real esee!

Exactly!

Interesting fact about the microstamp on color copiers.

Top Bottom