• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReverendEK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I’ll preface this by saying, I don’t carry yet, but I plan on carrying something semi. I enjoy CZ products (at least the new ones) so I think an older model would suit my needs well.

A pawn shop in my area has 2 CZ 82 for sale at a very reasonable price. I’m kicking around the idea but I’m not sure if 9x18 is even practical or available. Anyone have thoughts? Should I just get a Glock? Thank you all in advance!!

Safe steel and plentiful rounds,
    REK

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Not only is the cartridge impractical and difficult to source, but the CZ-82 is not drop safe. It lacks modern internal safeties and can discharge if subject to sudden shock...like being dropped on the ground. They're cool guns and it would make an interesting range toy, but it's not something I would buy with the intent to use as a carry gun. There are much better options out there.

Check out the CZ P07 if you want a modern, polymer-framed hammer-fired carry gun from CZ. I'm more of a Sig guy, but my brother has a P07 and he is very happy with it. I've shot it and it's quite nice. They also make the P10, which is striker-fired. I've not have a chance to shoot one of those yet.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I’m assuming it would be a striker fired CZ?
    I’ll try and do some research on it!
    Yes. Maybe the P-09?

EDIT. The P10
    CZ_P10_-_Compact_Pistol_-_9mm_-_Black_80670391250_91520_climags_for_sale_buy_purchase_whoesale_discount_cheap_where_to_find_best_price__88662.1497995068.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    And as to your CZ 82 question, there are far better options out there, even on a budget. The 9x18 round is an oddball. Getting enough rounds down range to get proficient enough to carry will more then eclipse the "good deal" at the pawn shop. Plus it's heavy and has a low capacity.

There is an argument to be made about beginners and DA/SA pistols. They do take a little more time to get used to the long DA pull of the first shot and then the short SA pull of the following shots.

When you are just learning, simple is better.

I'd recommend finding some training to learn the basics. Some recommend you do that before you buy a carry gun.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    The CZ P10 series is the "CZ glock". They dont feel like Glocks in the hand, but have a very similar striker fired design. All the controls are the same as a Glock.

The P10 series comes in 3 sizes. The P10-F is larger than a G17. The P10-C is pretty much exactly G19 sized and has the same standard mag capacity of 15 rounds. And the P-10s is the smallest with 12 round standard capacity. The P10s is apparently discontinued now. Mags would be hard to find, I imagine. Even the standard P-10c mags can be a little hard to find for reasonable prices.
    I have a P-10c and like it. Good trigger out of the box. Not sure what prices are now, but I got mine used a couple years ago and it has an excellent trigger for the sub $400 I paid for it.

Now the P-07/P-09 series is quite different. P-07 is pretty much the same size as a P-10c or G19. These ones have the double-action/single-action trigger.
    I have a P-07 and like it. Trigger takes some getting used to if you're not accustomed to DA/SA. Ergonomics are different for everyone but I really like the way the p-07 feels. Got this one for less than $500 new

Before recommending one or the other, what kind of handguns do you have experience with?

ReverendEK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    Terre Haute
    The more I look at the P10 the more I think it wouldn’t be half bad as a foundation to understand the motions. But at that price I could have A Glock Carrying case with the cold steel inside.

ReverendEK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    Terre Haute
    The CZ P10 series is the "CZ glock". They dont feel like Glocks in the hand, but have a very similar striker fired design. All the controls are the same as a Glock.

The P10 series comes in 3 sizes. The P10-F is larger than a G17. The P10-C is pretty much exactly G19 sized and has the same standard mag capacity of 15 rounds. And the P-10s is the smallest with 12 round standard capacity. The P10s is apparently discontinued now. Mags would be hard to find, I imagine. Even the standard P-10c mags can be a little hard to find for reasonable prices.
    I have a P-10c and like it. Good trigger out of the box. Not sure what prices are now, but I got mine used a couple years ago and it has an excellent trigger for the sub $400 I paid for it.

Now the P-07/P-09 series is quite different. P-07 is pretty much the same size as a P-10c or G19. These ones have the double-action/single-action trigger.
    I have a P-07 and like it. Trigger takes some getting used to if you're not accustomed to DA/SA. Ergonomics are different for everyone but I really like the way the p-07 feels. Got this one for less than $500 new

Before recommending one or the other, what kind of handguns do you have experience with?
    I’ve owned a Taurus G2C, and S&W SD9VE. I’ve handled one 1911 and a handful of G19s. The only “pistol” I’ve put near 1k rounds through is my Scorpion and I’ve enjoyed every bit of that. Save for the stock trigger

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The more I look at the P10 the more I think it wouldn’t be half bad as a foundation to understand the motions. But at that price I could have A Glock Carrying case with the cold steel inside.
    Not sure what you are talking about? You can find new P-10c online for a little over $400. Even with shipping and transfer fees you are still sub $500 for a quality pistol. Doubt you can find A new G19 for any less.

That said, until you go to the range and put rounds down range you have no real clue what will work for you. I rented a G17 and thought it would work for me but could not shoot it worth diddly as the grip angle was not natural for me. I prefer heavier all metal DA/SA pistols, but that is me and not you.

Find a range with several pistols to rent that you think may be what you want. Put 50 rounds minumum down range with each, then go back and run a mag full again. You will then get an idea od what works and feels natural for you.

I carry a CZ 75D PCR most of the time and a Sig p365 when I need something smaller but have been known to carry my 1911 in 45 and my CZ 75 SP-01 tactical as well.

Good luck on you search.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Back to the CZ 82, I think the appeal is the hammer fired historical gun. Call me hipster, but it makes my hips stir. What about a 75 variant? I’ve never gotten a chance to shoot one so I couldn’t “pull the trigger” pun very intended.
    Just saw this post. The CZ 75 compacts come in several flavors. (My PCR is just one). I like them all, but until you shoot them you will not know if theynwill work for you. If no range near you has these there are several places in Indy that can rent most of what you are looking for.

ReverendEK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    Terre Haute
    You'll go through multiple handguns until you find one you're comfortable with so, at this point, your first one doesn't really matter just get whatever :):
    I’m quickly learning this about all guns but pistols are the worst with it I imagine. That’s why I appreciate all firearms. Unless it’s a highpoint. Then I have to see you shoot it first

ReverendEK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    Terre Haute
    Just saw this post. The CZ 75 compacts come in several flavors. (My PCR is just one). I like them all, but until you shoot them you will not know if theynwill work for you. If no range near you has these there are several places in Indy that can rent most of what you are looking for.
    I hear that about the 75. I got to put an sp01 in my hands but the ergonomics were not there. I am 6’ or so but my hands couldn’t reach anything it felt.

Top Bottom