• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The happiest day of my life is when I buy a CZ. The saddest day is when I had to sell one. Unlike boats. Boats suck.

When people shoot my SP01 they cant believe how accurate it is.

I need to start saving for a 97 and a trip to see the wizard. :D

We followed the yellow brick road along the pantsless hiway this morning to leave the PCR and the Phantom with the Wizard.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I discovered CZs last summer: you have to be careful what threads you read. :laugh:
    I've had 8 of them: 5 all-metal & 3 "plastic."
    Loved every single one and would have liked to have kept each and every one.
    Only have my Shadow 2 now, that the Wizard upgraded some: S/A only, 10x bushing, flat trigger and some spring work: love it, my favorite gun of all time.
    But, I hate the Urban Grey color and hope someday to sell mine, and get another with a normal gun color. :dunno:

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    I have had a love-hate relationship with my CZ, it is an SP-01 Tactical Suppressor Ready. I think half of my issues with the gun come from it being the suppressor ready model, but either way there are some "issues" with the gun.

The factory night sights are decently bright, but shot very high, like 8 inches high at 15 yards. They did allow me to see over the top of my liberty Mystic-x can though +1 point. The 3 dot system is also not conducive to quick sight acquisition, I am only 26 (thankfully still good eyes) and was constantly searching the dots to figure out which one was supposed to be in the center. So I threw some Dawson precision set on it with a fiber front and now all is good.

Out of the box the gun simply would not run. Every 5 or 6 rounds it would stovepipe. The slide fit was extremely tight and no amount of cleaning or lube helped. The factory slide spring is also not acceptable for anything but the hottest military ammo. After about 6-700 rounds of struggle it finally wore in, and a lighter slide spring helped a bunch. Since then I am going on 17K rounds without a single hiccup or repair. So it sucked, now its great. I have a hunch that the grey coating they use on the "Urban Grey" models adds too much thickness and ruins some tolerances. But my Glock has never had a hiccup since the day I picked it up...

Although I find the ergonomics extremely comfortable, I don't find them necessarily conducive to fast shooting. The grip is fairly round and I find it much easier to have the gun slightly twisted in my hand than something more square like most of the polymer framed guns. It just doesn't index in your hand as clearly as a blocky Glock. The rubber grip panels combined with the minimal frame stippling also make the pistol pretty slippery. For competition a set of aftermarket grips and some grip tape are almost a necessity.

Those factory rubber grips are also kind of flimsy and have caused me some pain. Get them too tight and they bulge into the magazine well and will cause your mags to stick instead of drop free.

The factory trigger was simply unacceptable. 7.6 lbs single action and over 15lbs double action (maxed out my scale). Gritty, long, a very bad, creepy wall. This did smooth out considerably with the first 1000 rounds, but it still sucked.
    My father owns an identical gun (not SR version, but a standard SP-01 tactical) and its trigger was significantly better from the factory. So again looking like some inconsistent tolerances between two supposedly identical guns.
    Now I have a Cajun Gun Works pro kit and it is the best pistol trigger I own. Smooth, light, short, insanely crisp. The reset is not very tactile, but otherwise its perfect to me and I am not one to try to ride the reset anyways.

Also there just isn't any advantage to a DA/SA trigger. Having to learn two different trigger pulls and break weights is a serious downside for a defensive or competition gun. If you want a light competition trigger, then it should be light all the time. If you want a safe mid-weight defense trigger it should be that way every trigger pull. The DA pull is now down to 5 or 6 pounds and very smooth, with CGW kit and I would consider it safe to carry. But it is too long and stiff for competition, and the SA is way too light for a self defense gun. Its just not that good at either. Your finger should be your safety, if you need a heavier trigger just for your draw on a competition gun, your practicing wrong.

I have also come to dislike the threaded barrel. I have messed around with my can on the gun, but it gets so damn hot after a full magazine you can barrely handle the gun. I have to swap in the heavy factory slide spring or it just slams the slide back. The heat/barrel weight make the gun shoot 6inches low and right after the first 15 shots. A fun novelty, yes, useful, no. The thread protector likes to walk forward while shooting no matter how tight you put it on, then the threads get carbon in them, and it wont thread back down again without serious cleaning and/or a run with a tap. I will use it for a compensator at some point, so that's nice, but otherwise its just a PITA.

So after a year of tinkering, and double the guns cost in modifications, it is excellent. And I love it, will never get rid of it. The weight of the steel frame and the low bore axis make it the flattest shooting (un-compensated) pistol I have ever shot. It is my go-to for USPSA and steel.

But I have spent the full guns cost over again in modifications to get it there, and I would no longer trust it as a self defense gun because it is so highly modified and the trigger is so light. The only CZ parts left are the frame, barrel, and slide.

If you want a factory gun that is high performing, the CZ is not it. If you want a gun that with modifications, can be second to none, then your going the right direction. Just my perspective.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had a love-hate relationship with my CZ, it is an SP-01 Tactical Suppressor Ready. I think half of my issues with the gun come from it being the suppressor ready model, but either way there are some "issues" with the gun.

The factory night sights are decently bright, but shot very high, like 8 inches high at 15 yards. They did allow me to see over the top of my liberty Mystic-x can though +1 point. The 3 dot system is also not conducive to quick sight acquisition, I am only 26 (thankfully still good eyes) and was constantly searching the dots to figure out which one was supposed to be in the center. So I threw some Dawson precision set on it with a fiber front and now all is good.

Out of the box the gun simply would not run. Every 5 or 6 rounds it would stovepipe. The slide fit was extremely tight and no amount of cleaning or lube helped. The factory slide spring is also not acceptable for anything but the hottest military ammo. After about 6-700 rounds of struggle it finally wore in, and a lighter slide spring helped a bunch. Since then I am going on 17K rounds without a single hiccup or repair. So it sucked, now its great. I have a hunch that the grey coating they use on the "Urban Grey" models adds too much thickness and ruins some tolerances. But my Glock has never had a hiccup since the day I picked it up...

Although I find the ergonomics extremely comfortable, I don't find them necessarily conducive to fast shooting. The grip is fairly round and I find it much easier to have the gun slightly twisted in my hand than something more square like most of the polymer framed guns. It just doesn't index in your hand as clearly as a blocky Glock. The rubber grip panels combined with the minimal frame stippling also make the pistol pretty slippery. For competition a set of aftermarket grips and some grip tape are almost a necessity.

Those factory rubber grips are also kind of flimsy and have caused me some pain. Get them too tight and they bulge into the magazine well and will cause your mags to stick instead of drop free.

The factory trigger was simply unacceptable. 7.6 lbs single action and over 15lbs double action (maxed out my scale). Gritty, long, a very bad, creepy wall. This did smooth out considerably with the first 1000 rounds, but it still sucked.
    My father owns an identical gun (not SR version, but a standard SP-01 tactical) and its trigger was significantly better from the factory. So again looking like some inconsistent tolerances between two supposedly identical guns.
    Now I have a Cajun Gun Works pro kit and it is the best pistol trigger I own. Smooth, light, short, insanely crisp. The reset is not very tactile, but otherwise its perfect to me and I am not one to try to ride the reset anyways.

Also there just isn't any advantage to a DA/SA trigger. Having to learn two different trigger pulls and break weights is a serious downside for a defensive or competition gun. If you want a light competition trigger, then it should be light all the time. If you want a safe mid-weight defense trigger it should be that way every trigger pull. The DA pull is now down to 5 or 6 pounds and very smooth, with CGW kit and I would consider it safe to carry. But it is too long and stiff for competition, and the SA is way too light for a self defense gun. Its just not that good at either. Your finger should be your safety, if you need a heavier trigger just for your draw on a competition gun, your practicing wrong.

I have also come to dislike the threaded barrel. I have messed around with my can on the gun, but it gets so damn hot after a full magazine you can barrely handle the gun. I have to swap in the heavy factory slide spring or it just slams the slide back. The heat/barrel weight make the gun shoot 6inches low and right after the first 15 shots. A fun novelty, yes, useful, no. The thread protector likes to walk forward while shooting no matter how tight you put it on, then the threads get carbon in them, and it wont thread back down again without serious cleaning and/or a run with a tap. I will use it for a compensator at some point, so that's nice, but otherwise its just a PITA.

So after a year of tinkering, and double the guns cost in modifications, it is excellent. And I love it, will never get rid of it. The weight of the steel frame and the low bore axis make it the flattest shooting (un-compensated) pistol I have ever shot. It is my go-to for USPSA and steel.

But I have spent the full guns cost over again in modifications to get it there, and I would no longer trust it as a self defense gun because it is so highly modified and the trigger is so light. The only CZ parts left are the frame, barrel, and slide.

If you want a factory gun that is high performing, the CZ is not it. If you want a gun that with modifications, can be second to none, then your going the right direction. Just my perspective.

OK. Every CZ I have owned has been a serious runner out of the box. I am just a trigger/action snob so all of my pistols get the full Monti very quickly. I know of and hear of many who compete with these guns on a regular basis. Just because you have one that is not happy is no reason to paint the entire Marque with this broad of a brush. I have had problematic 1911's and just stayed after them until they work. Very Problematic. Even sent one back and ended up fixing it myself at the same money it cost out of the box.

I know of 1 fella that had issues getting his suppressor ready CZ to run suppressed. It took some effort but last I heard it does great now.

Glad you stayed with it and succeeded but not every CZ is as yours was. Every Manf puts a turd out the door on occasion.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have always thought that CZs are for people who truly love guns. If you like guns you should probably get something that is about as good as it's going to get when you take it out of the gun shop.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Resisted the CZ hype for years. Thought it was just another "fan boy" model like Glock. No thanks, I will stay with my Sigs.

Then, I got a great deal on a P-07. Now I am hooked. I haven't yet, but I could come close to selling my Sigs to acquire more CZs.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Resisted the CZ hype for years. Thought it was just another "fan boy" model like Glock. No thanks, I will stay with my Sigs.

Then, I got a great deal on a P-07. Now I am hooked. I haven't yet, but I could come close to selling my Sigs to acquire more CZs.

I think sigs are better ot of the box, but they fibr have nearly the potential cz's do.. I'll take a 226 to war any day, but czs are my go to for fun. Then admonish I don't remember the last time I shot a stock surplus cz75.. I need to change that

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Sterndern11, I think you are about right I have had two CZ’s out of the box that were good guns but not fantastic by any means just solid pistols. I now have two shadows that are just fantastic pistols I have only change the grips and added new safety’s. I get what you say about the the double, single action but I really like mine that way. I have heard that some people make them single action only and love them.
    I think they fit my paws better than any other pistols I have except my 1911’s that I just love but my favorite one was made over by a very competent gunsmith (Allen M) that just made it fantastic but only with more money added, which I have absolutely no regrets.
    Now if I only could shoot as good as my guns are. :laugh:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My first CZ was stock - wasn't impressed.

Then I was introduced to what a CZ could be - was very impressed.

Now I have more than one CZ - all worked over. Last new CZ purchase was not even fired once before it was off for modification.

They can be very respectable out of the box - but they really shine with some parts and polishing.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My first CZ was stock - wasn't impressed.

Then I was introduced to what a CZ could be - was very impressed.

Now I have more than one CZ - all worked over. Last new CZ purchase was not even fired once before it was off for modification.

They can be very respectable out of the box - but they really shine with some parts and polishing.

Wait. Are you supposed to shoot thing before modifying them?

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I have the exact same model sterndern has and mine always functioned flawlessly right out of the box. I thought the trigger was great when I first got it, and after 1000 round it was even better. I kept shooting it and only have ever had about three or for malfunctions. After I polished the internals and installed the CGW kit the trigger was so much nicer that my only issue with the gun was that I didn’t do the mods sooner. I can’t get enough of the gun and am now using it for competitions. Super fun with the Burris fastfire 2 mounted on top.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Curious if any CZ97 owners here load for their pistols..... a favorite load of mine is 185 gr bullet over 6.2 gr of HP38..... I spring my 1911’s and it shoots great any issue with hotter loads in the CZ97? Springs etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Curious if any CZ97 owners here load for their pistols..... a favorite load of mine is 185 gr bullet over 6.2 gr of HP38..... I spring my 1911’s and it shoots great any issue with hotter loads in the CZ97? Springs etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of my 97's have ate any and everything I fed them with zero issues.

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    I agree, I don't intend to paint the entire brand in an ugly light. I think in general CZ has some of the highest quality of any manufacturer at their price point. There is a reason that half the guns at long range rimfire competitions are CZs.

I just think that the 75 series has become dated in certain aspects. It still shines in some areas, but I would call them far from perfect out of the box. I just meant to point out the areas I feel it is imperfect. Perfect OTB guns are several thousand dollars.

My father's CZ 75 SP-01 had a few less issues than mine did right out of the box, but it is unmodified and now gets left in the safe since his HK VP9 is simply a better shooter out of the box.

For the OP's purpose I don't want him to be fooled by the blind brand fan boys that the CZ pistols are some sort of magic pill. They can be great, but like all other pistols on the market, leave plenty of room for improvement.

For what its worth, mine ran out of the box with the suppressor just fine. The extra pressure actually helped it cycle when it was new and tight.

Top Bottom