Dallas officer shoots man in apartment she thought was hers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    You called it BBI...

Female Dallas cop who killed man in his home charged with manslaughter

A white Dallas police officer who shot and killed a black man in his apartment after she mistook it for her own has been arrested and charged with manslaughter, authorities said Sunday.

Officer Amber Guyger, 30, was booked into the Kaufman County Jail Sunday evening after Texas Rangers arrested her in connection with the shooting of 26-year-old Botham Jean. She was later released after posting a $300,000 bond.

Female Dallas cop who killed man in his home charged with manslaughter | Fox News

Why was it necessary to include so much irrelevant information in the news media?

I think you know the answer.... "If it bleeds, it leads."

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    [FONT=&amp]A somewhat different version

Officer Amber Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she parked on the wrong level of the South Side Flats garage— the fourth floor instead of the third, where she lived, according to the official who has direct knowledge of the case but is not authorized to discuss it publicly.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]She went to the door she thought was hers but was one floor too high. The four floors of the South Side Flats in the Cedars look the same, with concrete floors and tan doors. A light fixture to the side of each door displays the apartment
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    Guyger, who was still in uniform, put her key in the door, which was unlocked, and the door opened, the official said. The lights were out. She saw a figure in the darkness and thought her apartment was being burglarized, the official said. Guyger pulled her gun and fired twice.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong apartment. Jean, who worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers, was shot once in the chest[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dal...-amber-guyger-mistook-apartment-official-says
    [FONT=&amp]
    Newspapers should publish all the information they have, However inconvenient. Frankly at this stage we don’t know what’s relevant or not relevant, so it’s all relevant.

I find that people tend to think they are a lot more [observant, competent, accurate, etc] than reality merits. People with a firmer grasp on their status as a human lean a little bit more towards “there but for the grace of God go I.”

p.s. Doing posts on an iPhone and it really really sucks.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Queue the work hours restriction lobby. Excess fatigue led to cognitive impairment which led to her shooting someone. Semi drivers can’t pull a 15hr shift. Why can police? -devils Advocate

Oh, assuming this is true I expect that to be used as an excuse.

Though I'm not sure there is ever a really good reason to fire blindly into a dark apartment.

Note to her friends: no surprise parties EVER!!!.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Queue the work hours restriction lobby. Excess fatigue led to cognitive impairment which led to her shooting someone. Semi drivers can’t pull a 15hr shift. Why can police? -devils Advocate

I have wondered about this for years aboutfor doctors, especially training hospitals and ERs. Good question for cops too. Commercial and military pilots Have had flying hour restrictions for decades. Thing is, when They make a big boo-boo due to lack of sleep It’s spectacular and involves a lot of deaths All at once. Semi truck accidents are spectacular too, and Have insurance behind them usually.

Other professions’ booboos happen in smaller increments, So maybe not as much public attention.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have heard many bad cover stories in my 24 years. This is in the top 5.

He was stooping her. Had a side piece. She found out and killed him.

Let's set the over/under at 15 years.

Somebody translate that, stooping? I've never heard that term.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Was just enlightened by people returning from lunch.

Kirk needs a little help with his written Yiddish: "schtüping". Yes, there are those who use "stooping"...but c'mon.

[video=youtube;AgxuVOd9Mt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgxuVOd9Mt8[/video]

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Kirk needs a little help with his written Yiddish: "schtüping". Yes, there are those who use "stooping"...but c'mon.

[video=youtube;AgxuVOd9Mt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgxuVOd9Mt8[/video]

And it's Hough for the win!

Seriously, I worked many of those long, long shifts and avoided, somehow, killing anyone. But, I do recognize that but for grace go I.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

you-have-a-40-hour-work-week-remember-my-first-4032463.png

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Nope! My full time is 1460 hours a year. Plus 300 hours for catch up charting I guess.

working long hours isn’t the only issue. Decision fatigue is huge. In an 8-hr shift I recently had I supervised the care of 53 ER patients. Most were not ill and didn’t need much done, but seeing maybe 15 on my own and staffing the rest with PAs led to a TON of decision making and interruptions in flow. Your brain can only handle so many decisions and actions in a set amount of time before you start screwing up. I have worked 24hr shifts at non busy places and felt refreshed the whole time since I only saw 16 patients.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Probably because of this:

I have wondered about this for years aboutfor doctors, especially training hospitals and ERs. Good question for cops too. Commercial and military pilots Have had flying hour restrictions for decades. Thing is, when They make a big boo-boo due to lack of sleep It’s spectacular and involves a lot of deaths All at once. Semi truck accidents are spectacular too, and Have insurance behind them usually.

Other professions’ booboos happen in smaller increments, So maybe not as much public attention.

There's plenty of research that shows long shifts are dangerous. A study including both civilians and soldiers where the group was given alcohol on one day and then repeated the same tests with a given level of sleep deprivation, then compared:

RESULTS[FONT=&amp]—After 17-19 hours without sleep, corresponding to 2230 and 0100, performance on some tests was equivalent or worse than that at a BAC of 0.05%. Response speeds were up to 50% slower for some tests and accuracy measures were significantly poorer than at this level of alcohol. After longer periods without sleep, performance reached levels equivalent to the maximum alcohol dose given to subjects (BAC of 0.1%).

*edit*
    And to be clear, I'm not suggesting the outcome of this particular incident would have been any different without the longer shift.[/FONT]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom