• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Maybe he knew he was a lousy shot, ask his lawyer....,lol.... an did his country a better service by not going. Nam has alot of history, alot really don't know the truth an history about it....my brother was drafted then had to volunteer 3 times to go over an fight. His words coming home.."I'll never let the Ba****** take my son to the next war." I'm proud of my brother, I'm not ashamed of those who got deferments. I believe it was a war we never had to fight, our politicians decided the outcome after WWII.

Its sad that many of the wars we've been in we probly shouldnt have

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I certainly do. I agree that pointing fingers does no one any good. I don't know about Rambone, but for me, bringing up the shortfalls of past administrations has nothing to do with laying blame. It has everything to do with awareness. I can be mad about our current situation, but if I forget that a so called conservative Republican helped get us here, I'll just vote for another so called conservative Republican to get the so called liberal Democrat out of office. I'm sure you've heard the quote about forgetting history and being doomed to repeat it.

Sure. But there's a difference between keeping something in the "remember me" file and constantly trotting it out over and over again for no greater purpose than smearing someone's name and reputation. Rambone's efforts are tired because he doesn't add anything new. Just the same old BS.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    "Cheney" who!?

Let's just face it, a millisecond after the SHTF, we all will become
    (at least temporarily) ANARCHISTS. The only way to survive the
    Coming Social Tsunami is to know how to stay on your surf-board
    or else have a good set of SCUBA gear. Cheney is one of us who
    has the surf-board, and therefore will ride it out "on top." The rest
    of us will have to hold our breath. One of the better ways to know
    how to live without fear is to learn how to kill without remorse.
    You may find that you like it. It's called "spidey-sense about staying
    alive." If you don't like that, then stay under the porch. EBG

Not to mention <snip> it isn't so much about what's best to protect the country as much as it is about honesty and upholding the Constitution. A totalitarian police state would protect the country quite well, but at what other costs?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Noticed you skipped over the the two DUI within a year. But, that aside, if my country ever cam calling for my service, she wouldn't have to ask FIVE times; child or no. How many times would it take before you answered the call?

Buddy, you ought to think twice before you try that on this forum. If you aren't 58 or older, you've never had to deal with the Draft except as an abstraction. If so, you have absolutely NO IDEA what you're talking about.
    I have a number of friends who "avoided" the Draft by going to college, getting married, and for other reasons. By the way, Your Country has been calling for you for at least 37 years. What rank were you in the Service? When did you serve? Unless you've got an affirmative answer for that, I'd lay off questioning other folks' loyalty!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Buddy, you ought to think twice before you try that on this forum. If you aren't 58 or older, you've never had to deal with the Draft except as an abstraction. If so, you have absolutely NO IDEA what you're talking about.
    I have a number of friends who "avoided" the Draft by going to college, getting married, and for other reasons. By the way, Your Country has been calling for you for at least 37 years. What rank were you in the Service? When did you serve? Unless you've got an affirmative answer for that, I'd lay off questioning other folks' loyalty!

Deal with the draft? My entire life was shaped by the draft. Pops served 28 years in the Army, with 2 tours in Vietnam. He didn't even win the "lottery," he was "persuaded" to take the place of the son, of a more affluent member of Southern Society, with the promise that he and his would no longer be liable for their share-cropping debt, and that they would be given "respectable" jobs to boot. Well ole pops does his tour, comes home and expects to have a job waiting, no dice... and the family still has massive debt. So what does pop do? He re-ups.... meaning he will have to do another tour "in-country" which he does. So after another year as a huey crew chief, and a purple heart he come back and decides to make Army Aviation his life.
    Then comes me, the guy who ends up the lowly police officer, with dashing good looks and a killer smile. Perhaps that doesn't cut the mustard in terms of serving your country, but to many it does. I strap on my jack boots and do my job, in serving the public, to best of my abilty. But that's neither her nor there. IF the draft was instituted, I would answer that call the FIRST time, I was asked.... it certainly wouldn't high tail it to "Canadia" or repeatedly defer my responsiblity as a able-bodied American citizen.
    So spare me your lecture. Deferring once is one thing, doing it 5 times reeks of cowardice with the proper connections

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Noticed you skipped over the the two DUI within a year. But, that aside, if my country ever cam calling for my service, she wouldn't have to ask FIVE times; child or no. How many times would it take before you answered the call?

I am not here to defend the indiscretions of anyone. Cheney liked to drink and he liked to smoke (Part of the reason why he had his first heart attack at age 37); he chose to turn his life around, something I applaud.

I think it would have not been for the betterment of anyone had he gone over and orphaned his child (ultimately turning another American anti-war, "anti" many things). I do not blame him for his final deferment. He had more pressing issues than going and fighting several thousand miles away, in a war that we lost because we fought by a set morals (something that set us apart from NVA and the Cong).

I would gladly honor the call to arms, so don't criticize me via armchair.

I respect the actions of the men that came before me, particularly for fighting wars that could have easily changed the face of our great nation.

I have never questioned your patriotism nor have I made any statements that were remotely out of line. This is a grown up forum, and I expect to regarded with the respect of an adult, flatfoot.

:nono:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am not here to defend the indiscretions of anyone. Cheney liked to drink and he liked to smoke (Part of the reason why he had his first heart attack at age 37); he chose to turn his life around, something I applaud.

I think it would have not been for the betterment of anyone had he gone over and orphaned his child (ultimately turning another American anti-war, "anti" many things). I do not blame him for his final deferment. He had more pressing issues than going and fighting several thousand miles away, in a war that we lost because we fought by a set morals (something that set us apart from NVA and the Cong).

I would gladly honor the call to arms, so don't criticize me via armchair.

I respect the actions of the men that came before me, particularly for fighting wars that could have easily changed the face of our great nation.

I have never questioned your patriotism nor have I made any statements that were remotely out of line. This is a grown up forum, and I expect to regarded with the respect of an adult, flatfoot.

:nono:

Firstly, I did not mean to question your patriotism. If it came off that way, I apologize. I still have to remind myself that tone and inflection aren't obvious on the 'net, and people can easily get the wrong impression.
    However, I was making the point (which you confirmed) that IF the "call" was made (like most), you'd answer promptly, not after the 5th time. It was a convention to illustrate the diffrences between you and Cheney, not imply that you would be a "no show."

So my I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Even you stated that you would answer the call, like so many others before you. So, in that, I find it hard to believe that you find Cheney's "dodger-ing-isms" acceptable.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Deal with the draft? My entire life was shaped by the draft. Pops served 28 years in the Army, with 2 tours in Vietnam. He didn't even win the "lottery," he was "persuaded" to take the place of the son, of a more affluent member of Southern Society, with the promise that he and his would no longer be liable for their share-cropping debt, and that they would be given "respectable" jobs to boot. Well ole pops does his tour, comes home and expects to have a job waiting, no dice... and the family still has massive debt. So what does pop do? He re-ups.... meaning he will have to do another tour "in-country" which he does. So after another year as a huey crew chief, and a purple heart he come back and decides to make Army Aviation his life.
    Then comes me, the guy who ends up the lowly police officer, with dashing good looks and a killer smile. Perhaps that doesn't cut the mustard in terms of serving your country, but to many it does. I strap on my jack boots and do my job, in serving the public, to best of my abilty. But that's neither her nor there. IF the draft was instituted, I would answer that call the FIRST time, I was asked.... it certainly wouldn't high tail it to "Canadia" or repeatedly defer my responsiblity as a able-bodied American citizen.
    So spare me your lecture. Deferring once is one thing, doing it 5 times reeks of cowardice with the proper connections

Three cheers for your Dad! He made a bad decision initially, but made up for it by getting into Army Aviation!

You, however, had the chance to join any of the Services at any time since you graduated high school, but you chose to ignore your Country's call and take up another profession. See how easy that is? Cheney served his country honorably in that he was elected to Congress by his constituents in Wyoming five times. Let it go, buddy.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Sure. But there's a difference between keeping something in the "remember me" file and constantly trotting it out over and over again for no greater purpose than smearing someone's name and reputation. Rambone's efforts are tired because he doesn't add anything new. Just the same old BS.

It is the same old BS from both parties. Not everyone here buys that. It seems to me that he's trying to change people's mind. :dunno:

As for Cheney dodging the draft so many times, I agree it was cowardly. If he were against unneeded wars, I might understand, but his double standard is ridiculous at best.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Three cheers for your Dad! He made a bad decision initially, but made up for it by getting into Army Aviation!

You, however, had the chance to join any of the Services at any time since you graduated high school, but you chose to ignore your Country's call and take up another profession. See how easy that is? Cheney served his country honorably in that he was elected to Congress by his constituents in Wyoming five times. Let it go, buddy.

still doesn't make up for him "bobbing and weaving" the draft FIVE times (Ali would be proud).
    You apparently have a limited understanding of what "answering your country's call" means. But here, I'll educate you to how it is common understood. Prior to Pearl Harbor, millions of young American men worked in the respective non-military jobs. However, in the weeks after PH and a plea from Roosevelt w/a declaration of war, those men "answered" their country's call by enlisting in droves (and eventually drafted). Fast forward to Vietnam, the draft is instituted. The country asked for soldiers to serve, and again many served. However, there were that small contingent of men (Like yellow belly Cheney), that avoided the draft in any way they could.

Now on to me, after graduating HS, I was fortunate that the country had not issued a call for servicemen. Had she done so I certainly would have stepped up to the plate, at the FIRST request. So I went to college, got a poly sci degree, got a clearance (which I still hold today), and went to work. I then found myself working, by answering a different call from my country, not in the military, but in LE.

When it the country asks you to answer it's call, it most literally means to put you life on the line. Cheney, took a pass, not once, but FIVE times...
    Easy enought to follow isn't it..... buddy? :dunno:

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    still doesn't make up for him "bobbing and weaving" the draft FIVE times (Ali would be proud).
    You apparently have a limited understanding of what "answering your country's call" means. But here, I'll educate you to how it is common understood. Prior to Pearl Harbor, millions of young American men worked in the respective non-military jobs. However, in the weeks after PH and a plea from Roosevelt w/a declaration of war, those men "answered" their country's call by enlisting in droves (and eventually drafted). Fast forward to Vietnam, the draft is instituted. The country asked for soldiers to serve, and again many served. However, there were that small contingent of men (Like yellow belly Cheney), that avoided the draft in any way they could.

Now on to me, after graduating HS, I was fortunate that the country had not issued a call for servicemen. Had she done so I certainly would have stepped up to the plate, at the FIRST request. So I went to college, got a poly sci degree, got a clearance (which I still hold today), and went to work. I then found myself working, by answering a different call from my country, not in the military, but in LE.

When it the country asks you to answer it's call, it most literally means to put you life on the line. Cheney, took a pass, not once, but FIVE times...

We're all proud of your accomplishments. HOWEVER, you chose a career that is considered by its very nature to be paramilitary. Im not gonna throw anything out there because I think it speaks for itself.

Cheney wanted to go to College, he wasnt one of the stupid @$$ hippies that claimed to be gay or drug fiends in order to avoid it. I dont think its appropriate to call him a yellow-belly considering that he did what a lot of people did. The only reason why people bring up his deferments and not those of Clinton or others, is because Clinton married into a family with money and resources (also, Cheney has been a figurehead for contracting firms and Halliburton).

Cheney made up for not serving in Nam by taking up the helm and serving in Congress and as Sec. of Defense during HW's time as pres.

I reckon after this post, Ill TRY and leave it be, because its gonna return to the same ol same ol (Blackhawk and I are gonna be Pro-Cheney, and you are going to talk about how he is a coward because he wanted something more than to end up ruined and suffering from PTSD for life).

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Patriot Act. Warrantless wiretaps.
    I may be wrong here, but this was not intentionally done to be used on the average American citizen, that is unless they're engaging in murderous, terrorist activity. The world is full of predators and I'm certain none of them agree with the Patriot Act.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I may be wrong here, but this was not intentionally done to be used on the average American citizen, that is unless they're engaging in murderous, terrorist activity. The world is full of predators and I'm certain none of them agree with the Patriot Act.

No, you're very right. It wasn't intended to be used on the average "law abiding" American. The problem is that it could, and has, been used against law abiding Americans. It indoctrintes Americans into believing that there is a justifiable trade-off between liberty and safety.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

I think you are wrong, and i wonder how long after they passed the patriot act did they start using it to spy on average law abiding Americans. THAT would be the proof in my book wether it was intended to be used against us or not.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Funny you brought up Ali, who chose jail over the draft. Coward? So if deferments is a sign of being a coward an not wanting to serve this country......then why did this country make the law that one could take deferments? If its cowardly, then why would it be a law....someone had to put deferments into place....are they then cowards? Then we would be a cowardly country to allow such a thing? If you don't like Cheney thats fine an dandy, many agree with you. But you seem to come off way to self-righteous an judgemental...

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    No, you're very right. It wasn't intended to be used on the average "law abiding" American. The problem is that it could, and has, been used against law abiding Americans. It indoctrintes Americans into believing that there is a justifiable trade-off between liberty and safety.
    Very good point. To use it on (singled out) law abiding citizens, wouldn't a citizen have to make a call to the red phone in order to initiate an investigation?

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I think you are wrong, and i wonder how long after they passed the patriot act did they start using it to spy on average law abiding Americans. THAT would be the proof in my book wether it was intended to be used against us or not.
    I understand your point here but to spy on law abiding citizens, for what?

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Very good point. To use it on (singled out) law abiding citizens, wouldn't a citizen have to make a call to the red phone in order to initiate an investigation?

Yeah, that's why they're spreading this propaganda.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czoww2l1xdw[/ame]

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Yeah, that's why they're spreading this propaganda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czoww2l1xdw
    Don't get me wrong here. I don't fully agree with what they're doing but, if tyrannical citizens engage in unpredictable and illusional frivolous activities toward others or yourself, no need for concern, it's normal?:dunno: It comes down to the actions people take toward each other. A lot of it over petty arse :poop:

Last edited:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Don't get me wrong here. I don't fully agree with what they're doing but, if tyrannical citizens engage in unpredictable and illusional frivolous activities toward others or yourself, no need for concern, it's normal?:dunno:

Define unpredictable. Is paying cash unpredictable? Is wearing a hat and sunglasses unpredictable? What about carrying a gun? What about being a Muslim? What about not showing respect to the troops?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom